Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gun Thread (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=15842)

ericr 05-01-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 465913)
Finished building my AR15. Since everyone will ask for specs, here they are:

DPMS lower receiver
BCM upper receiver - 16" mid length, 1/7 twist, chambered for .223 and 5.56
Ambidextrous safety since I'm left handed. :D
Magpul flip-up rear sight
Magpul stock and grip
Magpul MOE handguards

This covers the important stuff I think. I have a different trigger guard to put in, but I need to get some different punches first. I also want to toss a scope on it for some long distance shooting, but I figure I'll get proficient with the iron sights first.

I'm a little behind! Looks nice Trace! One question though, did you go with the 1/7 twist on purpose? Just wondering if you wanted it to shoot the heavier bullets.

LeeNetworX 05-02-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 465913)
Finished building my AR15. Since everyone will ask for specs, here they are:

DPMS lower receiver
BCM upper receiver - 16" mid length, 1/7 twist, chambered for .223 and 5.56
Ambidextrous safety since I'm left handed. :D
Magpul flip-up rear sight
Magpul stock and grip
Magpul MOE handguards

Damn, those are some sexy handguards.

Nice rifle. There are many like it, but that one is yours.

Q: Why the 1:7 twist? Going to be competitive shooting with it?

G-Rex 05-02-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericr (Post 467368)
I'm a little behind! Looks nice Trace! One question though, did you go with the 1/7 twist on purpose? Just wondering if you wanted it to shoot the heavier bullets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 467451)
Q: Why the 1:7 twist? Going to be competitive shooting with it?

Thanks fellas!

I went with the 1:7 twist because I want to try my hand at some long distance shooting with the AR, in the 500 yard range. I've read it *can* be done and that the 1:7 twist is more conducive for longer shots, so that's my reasoning.

Of course, now I'm thinking about how to build my next AR. :dribble:

ericr 05-02-2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 467615)
Thanks fellas!

I went with the 1:7 twist because I want to try my hand at some long distance shooting with the AR, in the 500 yard range. I've read it *can* be done and that the 1:7 twist is more conducive for longer shots, so that's my reasoning.

Of course, now I'm thinking about how to build my next AR. :dribble:

I was hoping that was your plan Trace ;) That 1/7 twist is definitely better for the heavy bullets for long range shooting. The light bullets won't be as accurate with that much twist but will be fine for plinking.

Adeptus_Minor 05-03-2011 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericr (Post 467625)
I was hoping that was your plan Trace ;) That 1/7 twist is definitely better for the heavy bullets for long range shooting. The light bullets won't be as accurate with that much twist but will be fine for plinking.

Of course, the problem you run into with the heavier bullets is that they're also longer, which can lead to feeding issues in automatic rifles.
As I understand it, anything over 75gr is best left to bolt action rifles.

Archren 05-03-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor (Post 467635)
Of course, the problem you run into with the heavier bullets is that they're also longer, which can lead to feeding issues in automatic rifles.
As I understand it, anything over 75gr is best left to bolt action rifles.

That's my understanding as well... and ARs (at least the military kind) do tend to misfeed/misfire anytime anything that isn't just "so" is introduced. So best to test out any new ammo in small portions first before buying any large quantities.

fnfalman 05-03-2011 10:39 AM

I have zero idea why people try to make the .223 round out to be something it's not. What's the point of shooting heavy bullets out of it? Velocity is so low, it's ridiculous. Want to launch a heavier bullet? Get a larger caliber.

Twobanger 05-03-2011 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New score; now I have to wait 4-5 months for my permission slip to come in...

Corey 05-03-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twobanger (Post 467808)
New score; now I have to wait 4-5 months for my permission slip to come in...

Nice. Permission slip? SBR?

Twobanger 05-03-2011 06:39 PM

It's an SBS. It started life as a standard Saiga 12 and was converted by Tromix. With the eight inch barrel, the magazine looks like its bigger than the gun when the stock is folded.