Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Events (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Southern Rally 2011 - Little Switzerland in September (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=16894)

tommymac 12-24-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 435973)
Count me in. Only 1008 miles away from me. That's a day ride.

Now I may have to go to Ark just to beat ya on the miles :lol:

G-Rex 12-24-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 435978)
Now I may have to go to Ark just to beat ya on the miles :lol:

I'm going to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska in July. You're pretty well screwed before the new year even starts. ;)

tommymac 12-24-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 435979)
I'm going to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska in July. You're pretty well screwed before the new year even starts. ;)

Ahh you dont know about my trip to OKLA in june to sabbotage your bike :lol:

Amber Lamps 12-30-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 435969)
the central rally is doing their's in the spring.

Central? I'll check it out, thanks Nick.

caveman 02-04-2011 03:58 PM

Well, if this is still a go the dates are perfect right in the middle of a seven off for me. Great trip with no vacation days needed to be taken. :rockwoot:

I love my job

Kerry_129 02-04-2011 06:16 PM

Little Switzerland is a fantastic location - spent many weekend rides in & around there when I lived in NC.

One thing to be aware of is that it's a largely 'tourist trap' area, and as such the lodging may tend to be a bit higher than typical, especially in prime leaf-gazing season.

I *think* this is the inn right by the Blue Ridge which I have often passed by & seen motorcycles parked at separate cabins. They also show a big 8br lodge a few miles from the main inn, at lower per-person cost:

http://www.switzerlandinn.com/rooms/diamondback.html

There's also this place, with a tavern which I've heard is pretty good: http://www.skylinevillageinn.com/

There are the usual chain places a few miles further N in Spruce Pine, and various bed&breakfast type places around, but I think those 2 may be the only ones right in LS which are large enough to accommodate. I'll be out there this spring & would be happy to help out w/ some recon.

I know quite a few great roads around that area, including some 'of the beaten path' stuff with very low traffic & great scenery - glad to help out with route suggestions too.

Trip 02-04-2011 08:00 PM

I think this rally is going to be different. A lot of us are going to approach this one different. It's going to be more centered around group activities instead of riding. We want to do the touristy stuff like hike Grandfather Mtn.

Those two inns are ones I have been looking at, getting a group for the 8br would be awesome.

Please send me a PM if you want in on the 8br and I will see if we can get the people for it.

Mr Lefty 02-04-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 447847)
I think this rally is going to be different. A lot of us are going to approach this one different. It's going to be more centered around group activities instead of riding. We want to do the touristy stuff like hike Grandfather Mtn.

Those two inns are ones I have been looking at, getting a group for the 8br would be awesome.

Please send me a PM if you want in on the 8br and I will see if we can get the people for it.

for me it's kinda always been about the people... I enjoy riding with a few of you a lot... but the conversations and interactions at the stops was the biggest draw for me...

that and Rae's "leather butted, elfish, macarena" at speed

Amber Lamps 02-04-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Lefty (Post 447851)
for me it's kinda always been about the people... I enjoy riding with a few of you a lot... but the conversations and interactions at the stops was the biggest draw for me...

that and Rae's "leather butted, elfish, macarena" at speed

Well, then fuck it, let's have the rally in the Bahamas and screw dragging those stupid bikes across the country... Seriously, if riding isn't the "focus" then why even bring bikes or go places with "good roads"? Don't misunderstand me, I want to meet up with you guys and hang out, very much in fact, but I can see myself getting bored pretty quick with watching you guys get drunk and hiking. I mean the money/time we'd "waste" getting bikes to a destination could be better spent flying to somewhere AWESOME! Just a thought...

Trip 02-04-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 447860)
Well, then fuck it, let's have the rally in the Bahamas and screw dragging those stupid bikes across the country... Seriously, if riding isn't the "focus" then why even bring bikes or go places with "good roads"? Don't misunderstand me, I want to meet up with you guys and hang out, very much in fact, but I can see myself getting bored pretty quick with watching you guys get drunk and hiking. I mean the money/time we'd "waste" getting bikes to a destination could be better spent flying to somewhere AWESOME! Just a thought...

The idea is to keep it somewhat cheap and the option to ride if you want to, some people are going to do rides. I am going to do ride some, but it won't be major focus for me this time.

I would entertain a TWFix Vacation Rally for next year though. Hit the beach or something else different.