Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 12-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R
Default Kia

What are your thoughts on this manufacturer?

A friend who likes to be very contrary has terrible things to say about them (all based on anecdotal evidence). I know nothing but I want to prove her wrong.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

I have absolutely NO data on them, other than two coworkers have them, and they make it to work every day, so they're apparently not breaking down or anything.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Well she said they're one of the most unsafe cars out there and that her friends who own Kia's have been in accidents and have been injured more because they drove Kia's.

Um....how about if all your friends that drive Kia's have ALL been in accidents....maybe they're bad drivers.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

I know quite a few people with them and none of them have had any problems and they actually carry a decent warranty. They seem to be an up and coming company in the car world.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Overall not any worse than the rest according to this website.

http://www.safercar.gov/
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

I have no statistics only experience. Since Hyundai bought them the quality has steadily improved on them. My son has just bought his second Kia sedan after 150k on his first. Great little care technology seems about 3 years behind.
They have the Hyundai service culture which is the best I have experienced in the past ten years. In that time I have owned in order of service culture the following new cars or trucks 01 Hyundai Santa Fe (best service Culture) 07 Chrysler 300, 99 Dodge Duran go, 08 Honda Ridgeline (these three about even . 03 Hummer H2 (poor service) by far the worst was my 04 Nissan Titan.
The day Kia or Hyundai makes a Pick Up there will be one in My Drivway
Old 12-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
Rider
Moto GP Star

As a veteran I refuse to own anything with the letters KIA... Killed In Action. Fuck those motherfuckers and their cars.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
What are your thoughts on this manufacturer?

A friend who likes to be very contrary has terrible things to say about them (all based on anecdotal evidence). I know nothing but I want to prove her wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Well she said they're one of the most unsafe cars out there and that her friends who own Kia's have been in accidents and have been injured more because they drove Kia's.

Um....how about if all your friends that drive Kia's have ALL been in accidents....maybe they're bad drivers.

Your friend sounds like an idiot.

KIA's are fine.
Way back when they were crap.

Nowadays they are fine as long as you stick to the maintenance schedule.
Kia and Hyundai are mainly guilty of using the occasional low quality sensor. It's not like they are unreliable...its just that you may get a check engine light and have to have it checked out.

When you look at the design of em, you can see where decision were made to keep costs down, HOWEVER those decisions seem to be more touch and feel type stuff than longevity.

I would rate KIA\Hyundai from as good solid cars. the big issue with KIA and Hyundai seems to be owners who treat them as disposable tissues and dealerships who suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Your friend sounds like an idiot.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Nowadays they are fine as long as you stick to the maintenance schedule.
Kia and Hyundai are mainly guilty of using the occasional low quality sensor. It's not like they are unreliable...its just that you may get a check engine light and have to have it checked out.
I bought my 02 Hyundai in 06 with 60,000 miles on it. It now has over 100,000 miles, and I do not do alot of preventative maintenance on it, and have never seen the check engine light. You are more likely to see it on a new VW.

Kia is now where Hyundai was 5 years ago, and they are catching up fast. They will both be directly comparable to Honda very soon(if they have not gotten there already)
Old 12-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Agree with post #11...#12...and #13.

I don't own either but would. Both Hyundai and Kia used to be junk but aren't now.

As stated Hyundai > Kia but both are decent for the $$.

As I stated I own neither so I don't care if anyone bashes them but junk these days...they are not.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote