Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)
Default Suit and Tie people.

Okay. My girlfriend has me going to her sorority formal. This is at Emory University which is a private college at $42k a pop and is full of a bunch of people who apparently know how to wear ties and suits and stuff (Most are future doctors). I'm a damn silverback trying to blend in.

Today I bought a blue button down shirt and a tie since I owned neither. I do have a jacket and black pants from my Grandparents funeral but that was a while back and I have no clue how to dress up. Other than the funerals I've never worn a suit. My aunt tied the tie for me at my grandparents funerals.

Well anyways I've been watching a vid and some instructionals on how to tie a tie and got it okay. But the main thing I notice is a huge gigantic gap at the collar level. My neck is too thick to button the very top button leaving a wide gap. And my triangle thingy looks small as hell.

Do you leave the top button unbottoned? Or is it meant to be buttoned cause buttoning is not even close to an option. Also my collar looks high.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Do you have some pictures?

Your neck size on your shirt sounds too small. I'd take it back for the correct size, if you can. The top button should be buttoned, IMO,

Are you tightening the knot too much, making it small?

How long ago was the funeral? Meaning are your jacket and pants still in style or are they dated?

The collar could look high since you are obviously not used to wearing this type of shirt.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
My neck is too thick to button the very top button leaving a wide gap. And my triangle thingy looks small as hell.

Do you leave the top button unbottoned? Or is it meant to be buttoned cause buttoning is not even close to an option. Also my collar looks high.
You need to get a shirt with a neck that fits you - you can't get the "L" or "XL" size... you need to get a shirt with an actual size on the shirt (if you're wearing a L or XL and it's too tight to button, odds are you'll need at least an 18 1/2)... if it's a formal, you will probably want the top button buttoned for at least the beginning - you can open it up later in the evening.

As for the tie knot looking small, you may need to use a Half Windsor knot to make the triangle bigger... (google it and several how-to sites will come up)

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
JARVIS518
BOOBS!!

Moto: 06 CBR 600RR

u can get a shirt with a bigger collar, but if ur never going to see these ppl again fuck it go comfortable
JARVIS518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

If you like your girl, return your shirt and get a shirt that fits. Go half windsor knot and button the top button.

If you don't like her, fuck it, wear t-shirt and jeans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
goof2
AMA Supersport

Get a shirt that fits. It sounds like you need a shirt with actual measurements, not just L, XL, etc. Anyplace that sells decent shirts will be able to take your measurements for you. It is quick and easy and there are only 2 numbers, neck and sleeve length. You can wear the nicest suit and tie ever made, if your shirt doesn't fit it will show.

Concerning the tie, look up a full Windsor knot. That will give you a larger "triangle" (I'm guessing you mean the knot itself). Also, once tied the end of the tie should be right around your belt buckle. I don't really think there is a perfect length but too far on either end looks goofy.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
Switch
dadbod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
If you like your girl, return your shirt and get a shirt that fits. Go half windsor knot and button the top button.

If you don't like her, fuck it, wear t-shirt and jeans.
F a Half Windsor, Full is where its at.

Or you could go in Style...

Get a 3 button jacket, vertical stripe shirt, and a contrasting tie. Leave the bottom button of the jacket unbuttoned.

Unpleated pants, unless you are a fatass.

You really should have your suit tailored to give a nice fit look. Shit drooping all over the place looks terrible. Also, when you tie your tie, please do it right. The tip of the tie should just touch the top of your belt when standing up straight. Not drape over it and not be all short. Geeze that looks terrible when people can't determine the right length of the tie.

Last edited by Switch; 04-24-2009 at 11:13 AM..
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Method
Canyon Carver

Moto: MTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Stud View Post

Unpleated pants, unless you are a fatass.
That's right, I forgot about that one. Avoid pleats like the plague.
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
That's right, I forgot about that one. Avoid pleats like the plague.
Really? Well, I know some Izods that are on their way back to the store.... I hadn't heard that. Is that kinda recent or have I been missing the boat for years. Every pair of dress pants I own is pleated!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Take that shit back and get another one. Take a tape measure around your neck to get the neck size. You want a shirt with real neck and sleeve sizes, not some generic S M L XL bullshit. Also make sure the sleeves are long enough that a little bit of it is sticking past your jacket when your arms are at your sides. BTW don't buy shit at Sears, you'll look like a grandfather.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote