Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
CasterTroy

Default just kinda sux

I’m not sure how long it’s supposed to take, or if anyone REALLY ever knows. For those of you who’ve experienced it, this is a plea to help me understand whats “normal” in this situation.

Some of you know what happened back in september, but for those that don’t I lost my best friend on an aggressive ride in the mountains. He overcooked a corner coming off a wheelie and slammed a tree; breaking his neck instantly.

While this, in and of itself, was traumatic enough to give me nightmares on a regular basis….thats not really whats bothering me.

What IS bothering me is the fact that Brian was pretty much my ONLY riding buddy. The ONE person I could call up on any given day and tell him I could ride and he’d be there…..or meet me anywhere and was willing to go any length of ride.

We did Daytona once a year, either the spring or biketoberfest. We rode distance on the BMW’s. We rode aggressively on sportbikes and on motards. We were perfectly matched skill-wise and bitch-wise (meaning neither of us would whine at 600 miles, but at 650 we were BOTH ready to stop for the day)

I don’t like groups (too many clowns and ricky racer wannabes) but I joined a few local group boards in an effort to find local riders.

I found several….but they’re all either kids or tools that; for whatever reason, feel the need to overcompensate for everything and just be total doushebags. I don’t mean to be harsh or an elitist, but no one I’ve met seems to have common sense, or skills or the personality that comes close to being similar to mine.

Now granted…I’m an oddball and the fact that Brian and I were so close in personality and nature, it’s a wonder we crossed paths to begin with…but dang. Surely theres SOMEONE natured somewhat like me out there?!?!?

I did a few track days, and got some time out there railing on the track to help me with the desired SKILL part…but I miss my friend and it’s killing me.

I hate to sound like some whiney bitch , but damn this is rough.

Does it fade?

Am I trying to FORCE something?

WTH?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
shmike
Follower

Troy,

I have nothing to offer in the way of advice but I will say this:

You DO NOT sound like a whiny bitch. You have every right to feel the way that you do.

I too am picky about my friends and my riding partners.

I hope you find what you are looking for but it may take time. Maybe a very long time.

Best wishes.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Probably should hang out at track days and after getting to know people, ask if they ride on the street as well. As far as maturity goes, it's much better odds than people you meet on a forum.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

I'm kinda going through the same thing right now so I don't really know what to say. Pretty much all my riding buds either bitched out or took off and I've kinda been kicked off our local board, so I'm not sure what to do.

Don't feel bad about having a heart, man. It means you're a better person than many.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

You arent whining. While not due to the same circumstances as yourself, I too find myself alone in a new place with no riding buddies. I tried the local forum. Like you found, too many crazies, or kids, or those who you cant relate to at all (try being a girl too ).

My only advice is see who you can find at the track, or...get out on your own a little bit and you just might run into one of those crazy dudes like yourself tooling around the back roads...stranger things have happened.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Troy, I think the biggest part is you lost that "one" good friend you had that complimented you just right. I'm the same way, I've had very few "true friends" that met all the criteria like you listed there and they are few and far between. You'll find someone to hang with again but it'll probably take some time if you're as picky as I am about who I hang out with regularly.

I wish I could tell you something profound that would really help man, I really do. Hope you find your peace soon, but cherish the memories!

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Loosing a friend sucks. Loosing your best friend sucks on a whole other level.

It seems like you are in a hurry to find somebody to fill his shoes. Don't be. You may never find anybody who meshes with your personality the same way and that's okay.

While I hate group rides, I've been on a few and while the group rides themselves were a huge pita, I've walked away with a handful of really good riding buddies.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post

It seems like you are in a hurry to find somebody to fill his shoes. Don't be. .
You know I was somewhat offended at first when I read that....but I'm afraid you may be right.

Brian validated my desire to ride, and to ride the way I LIKED to ride and let me know that; since there was another JUST LIKE me, that I wasn't so very odd (not a sports nut, or golf freak)

Damn....it's only been 3 months but it feels like it's been 5 years

Thanks for the comments everyone
Old 12-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
You know I was somewhat offended at first when I read that....but I'm afraid you may be right.

Brian validated my desire to ride, and to ride the way I LIKED to ride and let me know that; since there was another JUST LIKE me, that I wasn't so very odd (not a sports nut, or golf freak)

Damn....it's only been 3 months but it feels like it's been 5 years

Thanks for the comments everyone
I certainly didn't mean to offend. Sometimes it just takes someone outside of the situation to put a mirror up in front of your face. I was jut making an observation on the way your first post came across.

I know the hurt will never get "better", but it will become easier to deal with in time.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #10
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
I certainly didn't mean to offend.

Oh man no worries!!!! I know that for sure.

You just put the mirror there (which is what I needed)