Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

so Flexin, your's and mine seemed very similar in the other thread. One big difference, I'm older and now look back and know how I should have done it.

I had planned to get out of the Army and go drive for Schneider, (one of the few co's doing training back then) for five years, then buy my own truck and start as leased driver, next step was to go owner operator then build up a business with a few more trucks.
As I was getting out, along came girlfriend, soon after we're pregnant. She doesn't want me gone and I have to be home for kid.

Now in my 40's I look back and wonder if I did right. Went to school (everyone said that was the thing to do) got an office job like I said I never would and I make a comfortable living. Problem is I'm miserable.

Two years ago I met a man who had done exactly as I planned to do. He in his 40's has more time then he knows what to do with. He has 15 trucks, all custom, with great drivers. He had a fantastic career driving and now simply manages the business. He is at home with his kids every day.

Not saying it would always work out that way, just that if you want to do it, do it when your young. That way as your kids get older you will be more seasoned in your profession and able to work in the time you need with them. If you fail you'll have time to recover and do something else.

in hind sight, I never should have let my dream go. Silly as it is I should have held on to it
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote