Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

You're off to a great start. get signed up on SOHC4.net for the best possible info. the CB550's needed a short pod filter as regular size ones interfered with the frame rails on the #1 and 4 carbs.

I had one of these back a few years. without a battery, they no go. I did a LOT of this stuff back when I brought my first one home.

trust me, you need to put some strong cleaner in the fuel tank to loosen the remains of what once WAS fuel about 30 years ago and is now just pretty much a crust of nearly rock like shit in te bottom of the tank.

REBUILD the front caliper with a NEW piston and seal, get to a brake caliper shop to get the bleeder out, they get stuck over time and require professional help to remove. ask me how I know.

Also do a crankcase flush. theres likely a lot of nasty sediment in the bottom of the oil pan that needs flushing out, and plan on no less than 2 complete oil and filter changes once its up and running to remove as much crap as you can.

I HAVE been there, DONE that, and love my SOHC4 750 for the same reason. Also add some braided stainless lines and stick with the stock front end. inverted forks arent going to make it handle any better, and it stops quite well on its own if the brakes are in good shape.

Dont be afraid to ask me if you got questions. I likely have answers.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote