Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Default Cancer Free!!!

Okay, as some of you know, I'm sure that most of you don't care, I've been battling throat cancer for over two years now. I had one operation to remove four tumors from my neck, larynx, and tracheal area in Oct '07. Unfortunately, there was also a tumor just off of my jugular vein that the doctors were afraid to remove.

I've lost most of my family to cancer, my grandparents, parents, sister and my brother even had throat cancer which was successfully surgically removed. I had even previously had a tumor removed from my throat/neck when I was 16.

I have seen the results of chemo/radiation (I lost most of my hair at 16) and decided that I didn't want to do that again. Ever. Frankly, I'd rather die.

Well, there a cancer center down here that has a similar mindset to mine and that "allowed" me to make that choice and opt to take "mild" chemo treatments (still sucked) in an attempt to shrink the tumor enough that it left a safe distance from my "main vein" to operate. After a year or so, it obliged and they removed it. I went today for my final check up and they can't find any trace of cancer so... To think that my doctor in Mi looked me in the eye and told me that if I didn't do the radiation and chemo I would be dead in 6 months to a year. I told him that I would rather live 6 months somewhat healthy than 5 years radiation/chemo sick! I found the center, I found a job (so I thought), I left everything and I moved down here. I figured at the worst, at least I wouldn't have to deal with the Michigan Winters again before I died!

I'm sure that many of you will accuse me of "attention whoring" and being full of shit... Well my friends here know the story and that's really all that matters. Believe it or not there are some subjects that even I don't like to share... the main reason that I tell the story now is that a few of you knew about this previously and I wanted to give you all the "good" news. It looks like I was a bit premature in cashing in my 401k....

I want to openly thank those of you who pm'd me, called and emailed me with encouragement and affection. Believe me when I say that it was a great comfort! Again, as some of you know, my fiance' couldn't deal with the situation and I had to leave her and her daughter in Mi and face this alone. Ha, I bet this will somewhat explain my reckless spending and who gives a fuck attitude, huh?

Anyway, I guess it's time to rejoin the world and get back on track! I dug a pretty big hole but I'm sure that I can fill it right back up and start on building a new foundation!!! Thanks again to my friends!!!

BTW I'm not going to engage in any arguments with my detractors in this thread, I can't stop you girls and guys from posting but rest assured, I won't respond. Also, I'm not looking for pity or even congratulations, I just wanted to honestly tell anyone interested the whole story and basically close this chapter of my life. To be honest, I was going to send a few pms and call it good but I guess I'm just too big of an attention whore, right?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote