Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #15
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
So...if it's "useless" for one specific situation, oh and a V1 will go off MILES before you actually see a cop so he'll know to stay behind the truck, then it's completely worthless...right. A radar detector is a tool just like any other. If used correctly it will virtually eliminate speeding tickets. I have not gotten a ticket while using a radar detector-ever. As I've said, this is like HDTV, BluRay, Etc, etc, etc...if you don't want it or can't afford it, it must be worthless or there isn't any point to owning it. Yeesh...

I have always had one. Has saved my ass more times than I can remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackPOT View Post
I have had an x50 for several years now and it has paid for itself time and again. Radar waves go everywhere and if a cop is using one on the people ahead of you, a mile or more down the road, a good detector will let you know LONG before you get within distance of the LEO, in most situations. Plus, even when you are not speeding, it is always nice to know when there is a LEO in the area with a radar gun. A quality detector is definitely a potential ace up your sleeve.

You also need to understand what your detector is telling you when it beeps. It is pretty easy to tell what alerts are bogus, if you understand the types of radar, and how strong the signal is when it is detected. It won't work miracles for you, it just gives you intel on who is broadcasting around you.

I've been using radar detectors for many years and I've had several units. Cheaper units = more noise and are less useful. The higher end units = less noise and are very useful. It is just my opinion, and YMMV, but if you are serious about keeping tickets to a minimum, invest in a good detector and read about how cops use their radar guns.

Radar Roy was mentioned already in this thread, he knows his shit. His site is worth poking through and reading some of his articles.

I can honestly say that having a radar detector has saved me at least half a dozen tickets or more in the last 10 years, and I've never been ticketed for speeding while using one.
Summed up their use perfectly.

I have been thinking of getting a V1 with pop. Going to cost some $$$. But may be well worth it.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote