Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I'm not sure it's that people don't care about privacy, but rather that the ability to return any former privacy continues to be eroded by politicians and companies looking to remove it completely. Everything that we do now is a loss of privacy. I know that you worry about one company having all that info, but I think we're pretty much there. You start at Generic Local Bank with a basic account. You bank there for years until Large National Bank buys up your local bank. All of that information is now in their hands. They sell info to marketing companies for more profits. Privacy gone. You sign up for a cell phone plan. All of your information goes into their database. Demographic information is sold to the highest bidder. Privacy gone. People bitch to their local congressman/woman. They pass a bill that allows companies easier access to this information. Privacy gone. Department of Motor Vehicles allows public access to records unless you opt-out, but fail to tell people that this policy has been put in place and that there's an option to opt-out. Privacy gone. Everything that we need supplied with the caveat that we have to provide certain demographic information to obtain the goods and services, and that information is quickly sold to the highest bidder. The people who are supposed to protect us from that have sold us down the river for cash. Do we care? Of course, but we've reached a point where our options are increasingly limited to revolution, going off the grid, or trying to control what little private information we have left that isn't already sold off by those in higher positions than ourselves. It's sad, yes. Do I believe that not using facebook/google+/myspace would lessen the invasion of privacy? I think we've passed the point where those things matter, short of the people who are in your social circle.
This... it used to be stated on the slip of paper you got with your Social Security Card, that the number was not for identification purposes, and you were not supposed to give it out.

try to get ANYTHING done with out giving up that... and once they have that, it's easy to get EVERYTHING on you from just about anywhere.

I understand what you're point is Homeslice, I just don't think it's as big a threat as you might. one good hack and everything is in the wrong hands... but outside my SSN, location, and credit card info... the rest does them no good. I'm not saying I want everyone to have all my info save the ones I listed... I just think it's all info if asked, I don't hide anyways.

that is, of course, my view on MY life... people are entitled to their secrets... and nothing wrong with having them... I just find them hard to keep, especially when involving technology.

Last edited by Mr Lefty; 07-11-2011 at 07:33 AM..
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote