Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.
Default The Hurricane runs again!

Ok, this is kinda tiresome, and I'm damned freakin tired.

When I got the Hurricane, as SOON as the fuel pump kicked on, it would piss all over the ground from the overflow tubes on both sides, until today. I started at something like 10am, and didnt even finish until about 7:30 or 8pm tonight.

I was told the floats were bad, uh huh, heard that crap before. it was like my 75 CB550, floats are freakin fine, needles and seats are great, but whats that beneath the seats? oh holy hell, I come across about an ounce of rust in the passageways, which would fall into the seat from time to time, and keep the needle from seating and closing properly. I guess I went into each carburetor like 4 times, along with spending some time tracing a tach wire to find out why that doesnt work.

Pulling the bowls off the carbs WHILE they're on the frikkin bike is far from fun.
I developed my own method of removing the screws and actual floats as well as the bowls, even the seats while the carbs are mounted on the motor. its a bitch, but CAN be done.

BUT, after many hours of cleaning, RE cleaning, and RE REcleaning the carbs to get all that goddamned nasty rust crap out(thanks asshole who didnt run a fuel filter) I can finally start the bike, have it idling, and running up to somewhere around 9-11k quite nicely and smoothly now.

once more the crazy machine lives to rip up the streets. now to hurry up and get a new battery, chain and fork seals, along with tires.

the lesson here, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, run a damn fuel filter inline on the fuel line. it makes my life easier when carb cleanin time comes round. seriously.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote