Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #18
fatburg
Grill Master

Moto: Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
You also have to weigh what major you are in and if it is beneficial for you to get your masters in the field you have chosen. Something to think about, I was already making masters starting salary just over 2 years into the job. That's the two years I would of been sitting in class instead of making money. The power industry doesn't really reward for a masters in electrical, once you reach the rank of qualified engineer the salary gap is so small the amount you put into school vs putting more than that into your 401k/retirement system usually outweighs the former. I am considering going back to grad school, but there is no way in hell I would get a masters in EE. A masters in EE wouldn't even give me a raise at this point in my career unless I left my company to pursue research somewhere. I would most likely get a MBA. The pay is a lot higher in upper management ranks, but then you got to weigh is your life worth that much pay because the upper management ranks work a lot of hours for that pay. Right now I make enough money to support a family of people and have a lot of free time to be with that family.

Then again, 80% of what you learn in school is useless garbage because your company will retrain you to think the way they want you to. Basically what you learn in engineering is to problem solve, that's your most valuable skill you pick up in school.
Werd. Masters Degree doesn't add one dime to my salary. Now my PE license would provide me more opportunities but no more direct money really.
fatburg is offline   Reply With Quote