Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #21
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderex View Post
You could do that but it's not really the best backup solution. The second hard drive would save you against hardware failure of the first drive but you'd still be issues with many of the other things you're guarding against with backups. Your computer could be stolen or damaged in a way that destroys both drives (submerged, dropped from a very high height, etc). Also, if you computer has some problem not related to the hard drive the backup is just as inaccessible as your primary drive.

Good point.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #22
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Ah, well I don't care which size it is, since it's always going to be external anyways. The most important thing to me is speed. And I don't need more than 200-300 gig.
Well the size is important if you plan on taking it with you everywhere you go. There is a big size difference in the to sizes. If its just staying home it doesn't mater. If you want to carry it with you the mobile one will be lighter and fit in a bag easier.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #23
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

And if size isn't an issue because you'll never be taking it out of the house, then something like one of my backup units would likely be a good idea:

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DS207/index.php

It acts as a web server, music and picture server, and will take up to two drives which can be configured as individual units, or as a mirrored setup.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #24
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Actually yes I will be taking it out of the house quite often, so yeah I want the small ones. And is there software that automatically skips any file that hasn't changed since the last backup?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #25
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Any of the better backup programmes are designed to do that, so you don't have to wait while it recopies everything. Microsoft has a tool called SyncToy (V2.0 is current) that will do the job, but it's fairly basic. Pretty much what you would expect for a freebie programme. I use one called DirSync, but it costs something like $35.00 via download.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #26
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I absolutely have to get one of these. While downloading the latest iTunes my laptop decided to do a meltdown. It gets to the "Toshiba" screen and won't go any further.

I have a 3 year warranty so I'm hoping like hell I haven't lost anything.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #27
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I absolutely have to get one of these. While downloading the latest iTunes my laptop decided to do a meltdown. It gets to the "Toshiba" screen and won't go any further.

I have a 3 year warranty so I'm hoping like hell I haven't lost anything.
do you have anything plugged in to your laptop? if so try unplugging it and re-boot...

but I doubt you've lost everything... check with Bestbuy... I think they may be an authorized toshiba dealer... they should be able to restore it for ya
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #28
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Ive got a small 120 or 160 gig Samsung, picked it up a year or so ago for less than $100 from Tigerdirect.com. Its small enough I carry it everywhere, it bounces really well and keeps ticking, and is powered by the USB cable. I love it, and carry it everywhere I have a computer, and instead of clogging up my laptop or wok computer I store programs and such on it.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #29
AquaPython
put it THIS way

just today i got delivered a western digital 1 TB from newegg. 109 shipped.