Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #21
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

My old mans garage is 24x36, and it its just the right size, though another 4 feet on both sides wouldnt hurt. Theres an ATV, Sled, Motorcycle, snowblower, lawn tractor, countless tools and fluid chests, welding machines, a tire changer, 2 compressors, a beer fridge and a wood stove it, annd theres still room to take in a the truck/car/tractor to work on and not be too cramped.

Anything smaller and it would have been a waste.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #22
JARVIS518
BOOBS!!

Moto: 06 CBR 600RR

footes have a composite to that is garunteed to last some 30 years i think. and if ur worried about getting it back to a certain spot and not the spot itself, they can do some very impressive things to put it where u want it
JARVIS518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #23
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I'd go with the wood and a concrete foundation. If you don't at least have that it will sink and be unlevel like our POS barns... but they were here before us.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:31 AM   #24
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

The plastic ones like Gas and the other guy has can be expanded by purchasing more panels. Also, since he is in NY, I doubt that UV is going to be a problem but if you are concerned, you can always paint it. Oh and as far as I know, you can attach shelves/hooks... right, Gas?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #25
Flexin
AMA Supersport

We had to move a plastic shed to put in water lines. When we went to move it back the prick that owns it put more shit in it, making it hard to move. We pushed harder and ended up lifting the walls off of the base. This also allowed the door to come off. But don't worry the lock kept the door from falling to the ground.

The great thing about wood sheds as when they do go bad they can be repaired. I have made new doors for moms a couple of times over the last 15 years. We are now putting a new floor in it and will also be repairing the lower walls.

A guy down the street from her moved in a place with and old shed in the yard. He was going to tear it down and buy a plastic one. The was going to cost him $1000. I said he should repair the wood one if the structure was still good.

He decided to repair it and ended up putting on new walls, floor and I think doors. He did this for about $60 he said including beer for him and his neighbor. Then his wife painted it.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #26
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownroad View Post
I see that you're in MI... does it get a lot of sun? UV is what kills most plastics, but some are much better than others.
We get a great deal of UV in the summer. The thing rocks and I was a non-believer of plastics but its real nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
The plastic ones like Gas and the other guy has can be expanded by purchasing more panels. Also, since he is in NY, I doubt that UV is going to be a problem but if you are concerned, you can always paint it. Oh and as far as I know, you can attach shelves/hooks... right, Gas?
Yeah you can see some shelves and shit in my pic. And yes its expandable. I believe mine is already expanded a few lengths. I like it.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #27
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I had a wooden at my old house. Purchased it from Lowe's, put it together myself, even roofed it (and I am no roofer). But it held up great, no leaks, and was overall a good purchase. I have no experience with the wood, but I know metal sucks as it rusts out, and can become sharp and hazardous over time.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #28
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
I had a wooden at my old house. Purchased it from Lowe's, put it together myself, even roofed it (and I am no roofer). But it held up great, no leaks, and was overall a good purchase. I have no experience with the wood, but I know metal sucks as it rusts out, and can become sharp and hazardous over time.
I def feel I could assemble a shed with the little projects I am doing at home, I am def getting more confident in my skills. Hopefully next week me and the better half will survey the yard and figure things out. I had one spot I wanted to try to use but its not as big as we thought. We have another spot but were going to try to put a vegetable garden there next year (keep the damn s well fed) but we may use that space for the shed instead.

What sucks is we have a lot of dead space on th eopposite side of the yard but the pool filter and central air unit is back there so that makes it tricky the way its all situated. I may still put a smaller shed back there for either the pool stuff or the patio furniture. I already have a plastic storage chest but its not realy waterproof so I may seal the roof up better and just keep the pool chemicals in there and set it up in an out of the way spot.

Tom

Z
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #29
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

if you can nail two boards together you can build a simple shed. 8 x 8 would be rather inexpensive to build on your own. you don't need to buy an expensive pre-built one or even a kit. you can get a more solid shed by framing much the same as a house rather then using "shed" type construction. Most expensive part would be the roof and that's not too bad if you go with asphalt shingles. lots of building supplies are on sale right now. everyone is wrapping up their summer projects.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote