Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 09-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #11
goof2
AMA Supersport

One issue I have is the amount of rust that appears to come out of the Bel Air. In both videos, the shot from the Bel Air side, the car absolutely pukes what appears to be a cloud of dust from rust. I can only assume some of that cloud is comes from the frame. Depending on the degree the frame is rusted that could have an effect on the test. If the IIHS wanted to actually run a real test the Bel Air should have been in the condition it would have been in 1959. As it is this is an interesting self congratulatory video, but doesn't really show what the IIHS wants it to show.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Yup - unibody structure & crumple-zones FTW.
I think the 'old cars are tougher/safer' myth comes from minor fender-bender accidents where a steel bumper sustains little damage vs. molded w/ styrofoam absorbers.
Also, it doesn't matter how well a 'heavy' car holds up in a crash if the occupants are turned to goo inside due to lack of crumple-zones & high deceleration G's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Now run the BelAir into a 2009 Hyundai. The Hyundai may not fair so well.
You think?

http://www.automotive.com/2009/12/hy...sts/index.html

http://www.automotive.com/2010/12/ch...sts/index.html

(Though it does look like the Sonata has more likelyhood of trauma to legs/pelvis).
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:05 AM   #13
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
Yup - unibody structure & crumple-zones FTW.
I think the 'old cars are tougher/safer' myth comes from minor fender-bender accidents where a steel bumper sustains little damage vs. molded w/ styrofoam absorbers.
Also, it doesn't matter how well a 'heavy' car holds up in a crash if the occupants are turned to goo inside due to lack of crumple-zones & high deceleration G's.

You think?

http://www.automotive.com/2009/12/hy...sts/index.html

http://www.automotive.com/2010/12/ch...sts/index.html

(Though it does look like the Sonata has more likelyhood of trauma to legs/pelvis).
The Accent? lol

The late 1970s and early 1980s are tanks. I think if you ran a new car against one of those, the older car would cream the new ones. There is no substitue for metal. But...if you run a 1970s car into a fixed wall, then you are correct. You will sustain internal injuries.

Also, side impact standards and airbags have helped greatly to keep occupants in the same location after a crash.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #14
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

The Cobalt? lol

http://www.carsdirect.com/hyundai/accent/safety

http://www.carsdirect.com/chevrolet/cobalt/safety

Apples to apples, man.

Big 80's (or better yet, 60's) tank cars would crush a modern econobox, yes. But again, whether a car is 'crushed' or not doesn't necessarily mean squat about the occupant protection/safety. Crushing & spreading the impact G's over a bit more time is the point.

Last edited by Kerry_129; 09-26-2009 at 12:53 PM..
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #15
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Pet peeve- late 60s/early to mid 70s were the peak for US auto size. In the early 60s the average car wasn't that much heavier than cars of today. By 1980 OPEC had forced automakers into downsizing across the board. But any fullsize sedan from about 1969 to 1974 is a monster.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #16
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
One issue I have is the amount of rust that appears to come out of the Bel Air. In both videos, the shot from the Bel Air side, the car absolutely pukes what appears to be a cloud of dust from rust. I can only assume some of that cloud is comes from the frame.
Actually, the report stated the "cloud" was not in fact rust, but 40 yrs of road grime. I'll try to find where I saw that....but in the mean-time

Quote:
September 18, 2009, 11:21 am
More Details About 1959 Bel Air Crash Test
By Christopher Jensen
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety released on Thursday a video of a crash test between a 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air and a 2009 Malibu to demonstrate how car safety has improved. Not to simplify matters too much, but the Malibu won. And several Wheels readers speculated in comments that the car didn’t contain an engine, which would have affected the test.

Armed with these conspiracy theories, I returned to David Zuby, the senior vice president at the institute’s crash-test center in Virginia. He explained that when the institute went looking for a 1959 Bel Air to crash-test there was one thing the organization didn’t want and some things it did.

“We didn’t want to crash a museum piece,” Mr. Zuby said. “We were not looking for one that had been restored for museum or show quality.” But the vehicle had to have a solid structure, although a little surface rust would be acceptable.

They found what they wanted in Indiana. “The frame was sound and all the body panels were sound,” he said. It had a 3.9-liter 6-cylinder engine and was in driving condition.

The car was bought for about $8,500 and had about 74,000 miles on the odometer, which was broken. It was trucked to the test center in Virginia.

Mr. Zuby said the cloud that shows in the crash video wasn’t rust. “Most of that is road dirt that accumulates in nooks and crannies that you can’t get it,” he said.