5. Look over the Horizon
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

I only had time to glance over it, but it's an interesting article. I'll be back to read it after work.

What I've read so far pretty accurately reflects my feeling every time I visit there. The Chinese like to do everything big. Anybody that saw the opening ceremonies to the 2008 Olympics knows that.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/2009111...08599193867100

in short:

1. Be Ambitious
2. Education Matters
3. Look After the Elderly
4. Save More
5. Look over the Horizon
In the US:
1. Be Ambitious...just be sure to check with legal
2. Education Matters as long as the subject matter is something the parents approve of and the material not so hard that it may shatter a childs self esteem.
3. Look after the elderly (Article gets silly on that one by ignoring unches o bunches)
4. Save more - This is a catch 22. I think back in the early 90's the savings rate was close to 10% but the growth in the late 90's (for reasons I wont get into) saw an erosion of that. there are tradeoffs that have to be made when it comes to savings rate. Low savings rate helps economic growth and help recovery efforts. Consumer spending and low savings rates are why we have all the little toys we do. It has driven the economy and the lifestyles we lead. If you want to increase savings rates at the national level, which is a good thing...prepare for the tradeoffs.
5. Look over the Horizon - Americans are culturally retarded in the area. It is impossible to do this now and we haven't had the ability to this in close to a century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

They do everything big because they create a lot of fake jobs for their people. Even at the expense of having tons of office space and factory capacity they don't need. Unless internal consumer demand increases substantially, they will collapse due to overcapacity.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
They do everything big because they create a lot of fake jobs for their people.
Looks like we are learning a shit load from them.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
Ineffable
Kneedragger

Moto: 2009 KTM RC8

I just read this article last night in Time Mag. It was pretty interesting but a little idealistic. They make a lot of good points but they choose the best example in China to compare to the American average.

The Chinese have a great sense of connection between the past present and future and in part that is due to the country being in existence for so long. Americans will never care about the future beyond themselves, there children and grandchildren everything after that is a moot point because we figure 'screw it I'll be dead'.

Not to mention the fact that in the US you aren't bound by what your parents did for a career. The example they gave in the article was that of a guy whose family worked the fields, he overcame the odds and went to the "MIT of China" and got a kick ass job and his response was that he is happy that his family will never have to work the fields again. If my father was a farmer that doesn't mean I have to be one because as cliche as it sounds and as doubtful as a lot of people are about it the US is truly the land of opportunity. Even in this economic crap hole we have gotten ourselves in there is still money to be made, money for college to change careers, and relief programs. China, not so much.
Ineffable is offline   Reply With Quote