Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #39
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
If the family is distraught over how their loved one died and don't want to see anything bike-related at the funeral, then it would be prudent mot to torture them with the presence of such?

A funeral is a solemn event; not geared to demonstrations. Might I suggest that the proper way to "honour" a fallen fellow rider is a wake, not some put-up show at the funeral?
Hey it's an opinion piece not a debate over the "rules", I will play it however it needs to be played but here's how it works for me,

1. the deceased wishes (if known)

2. the family's wishes (if known)

3. what I "feel" is the right thing to do

4-71 a bunch of crap

72. what people who don't know me or my friends think- ie you.

Whenever, there has been a funeral ride, the "best friend" is usually the one who organizes it. Because I have belonged to numerous bike clubs over the years, it's basically expected for there to be a ride to honor a fallen brother. Again, just because a comrade in arms family is upset with the military, wouldn't stop me from going to the funeral in uniform. The same principle applies here. This is not about "making a statement or demonstration", it is about honoring a fallen comrade. If it were his wish for us to ride to the funeral, I would...bottom line. Some one else said it but, "If he were hit by or died in a car, would no one be allowed to drive to the funeral?" I take these things very seriously and would look at it from all angles if I were in charge of organizing the ride. I have done a "wake-type" ride and I have organized 100 rider plus rides to the funeral. It all depends on the circumstances. FWIW I have been in this exact position and we had the ride anyway. Afterwards, the mother thanked us for not listening to her in her grief and acknowledged that it was exactly as her son would have wished. Some people just own bikes and for some people it's a way of life...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote