Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
thirdgenlxi
They call me a ride whore

Moto: 2004 CBR 600 F4i
Default Ohh how I love obedient dogs

So now that Riley and Piper have been in their classes for a little while, I figured I'd start a little thread on their learning progress. This isn't everything they know, but mostly the stuff they're really really good at so far and I could make a video of easily (they're real good at come when called as well, but it was dark out, lol). There's still stuff they're working on to perfect, and of course always learning new things as well. A lot of it is just basic stuff, but it's all the fundamental building blocks for things ahead, and they certainly ain't no dummies! For those that remember me mentioning it, I have future aspirations of getting Riley and Piper certified as therapy dogs once they're old enough, as long as I can get them over their social anxiety issues (they're getting much better with that though)

An FYI this was all done with positive reinforcement training.... I never lay a hand on them (some people apparently think beating your dog into submission is how you 'train' them....ugh). Everything is voice commands, hand signals, body language and tone, and treats.... pretty simple stuff really, and it works!

The sit & wait for their food.... I don't even have to say a word anymore, as they've been doing it every time since they were 11 weeks old

This was at 11 weeks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=macwhsg5yl4

Now at 10 months.... don't even have to say anything

Also, later in the vid, the treats I'm using are soft chewy Salmon treats.... the good stuff made with real salmon, not dry crunchy treats. They're extremely pungent with a very strong fishy smell, which the dogs absolutely LOVE. More or less equivalent to putting a piece of raw meat in front of them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT1cmwoo6qw

Then this was from a couple days ago.... I let them out in the front yard to do their business one at a time (off leash, non fenced yard). I let them out in the exact same order every single time... Piper first, then Piggy, then Riley. I've been using the "wait" command because I don't want them all rushing out the door at once (plus I use this command elsewhere as well), so 2 of them wait, one goes out, and they have to wait for that one to come back in before the next one goes out. They've got it down so well, that when I say "lets go outside", they'll run over to the front door and, starting with the side of the door that opens, will line up side by side in the exact order that they go out in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIOdnUdeWko

That's all I have for this weeks doggy boot camp.... I'll update later on as they learn new things

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 253,500 miles and counting
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 435,200 miles still going strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
thirdgenlxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Pretty pooches
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenlxi View Post
Do you know what breed he is? He looks almost just like one of our dogs; she was a stray so we've only ever been able to guess her breed. Best we could come up with was a Cajun Squirrel dog:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/kemmerfeisthybrid.htm

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote