Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #91
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

wow. this thread. went to hell.

i got this movado, i think it looks cool. never wear it tho. not to big on watches and chains anymore, just want money. lots of it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my watch.jpg (24.1 KB, 43 views)
Old 11-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #92
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
I think watches have just become man jewelry... I hope you all feel as pretty in your watches as your girl does in her new diamond earrings
Pretty much what I was getting at.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #93
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
I think watches have just become man jewelry... I hope you all feel as pretty in your watches as your girl does in her new diamond earrings

Hey fucker I wear diamond earrings too!...altho' I'm sure they're not up to the level of quality demanded here......j/k

"why buy those crappy diamonds when you could save up for the Hope diamond? ETC..."
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #94
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
wow. this thread. went to hell.

i got this movado, i think it looks cool. never wear it tho. not to big on watches and chains anymore, just want money. lots of it

Is that a "Museum"? It looks like one anyway.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #95
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

esperanso or some shit i think, i dont remember
Old 11-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #96
RCM78
Slow Poke

Moto: '05 R1

The Dial on a Movado is known as a museum. AFAIK there is no museum model. It's just the black dial and single diamond at 12 O Clock.

It's called the Museum Dial and it's shared among many Movado models.
TPM Coach #71 http://www.teampromotion.com
RCM78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #97
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM78 View Post
The Dial on a Movado is known as a museum. AFAIK there is no museum model. It's just the black dial and single diamond at 12 O Clock.

It's called the Museum Dial and it's shared among many Movado models.

I believe that to be correct as well. I think the line is called Movado Moderno.

Movado's, in general, are crap as are the Cartier "Tanker" series and the rest of the quartz line. The movement is the same as what you could get in a Swatch for $20.

They are costume jewelry. It's a pretty box with a bag of crap inside.

You can pay a little for the outside, a little more for the inside, or a WHOLE LOT for both.

Remember these sacks of shit from the 80's?

Bling outside, sack of shit inside.

Now this is bling outside AND inside:

Costume jewelry watches are the equivalent of:

--Erik Buell

FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:49 PM   #98
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I'm not "angry",it's just that my Movado is absolutely the most expensive watch that I will ever be able to afford and it sucks to have you guys repeatedly shit on it,that's all. It started out that FB was pissing on the watches that I posted which was fine because I asked for opinions on them BUT then you both went on to shit on the watches that I actually own and worked hard to buy. It's right up there with a guy posting a pic of his wife or kids and a bunch of guys replying that they are fat or ugly or whatever. Quite frankly,I never asked anyone's opinion about the watches I already own...
No offense, but a couple points come to mind here.

1. You posted a thread about "fine" watches, then bitched when people gave their definition of "fine."

2. You say you can't afford an extremely fine watch, yet you have how many helmets ranging from 3-600 each? And how many watches that cost a few hundred each? You could easily afford a fine watch if you really wanted to. Just stating the obvious.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:56 AM   #99
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT BSTRD View Post
I believe that to be correct as well. I think the line is called Movado Moderno.

Movado's, in general, are crap as are the Cartier "Tanker" series and the rest of the quartz line. The movement is the same as what you could get in a Swatch for $20.

They are costume jewelry. It's a pretty box with a bag of crap inside.

You can pay a little for the outside, a little more for the inside, or a WHOLE LOT for both.

Remember these sacks of shit from the 80's?

Bling outside, sack of shit inside.

Now this is bling outside AND inside:

Costume jewelry watches are the equivalent of:

See,I'd take that car or that gold watch. Oh and I think that you being purposely mean after I made a point to say how much I love my Movados. Anyway,you certainly have a right to your opinion but that Rolex goes for about $30,000+. I'll stick to my "ghetto" watches thanks!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:11 AM   #100
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
No offense, but a couple points come to mind here.

1. You posted a thread about "fine" watches, then bitched when people gave their definition of "fine."

2. You say you can't afford an extremely fine watch, yet you have how many helmets ranging from 3-600 each? And how many watches that cost a few hundred each? You could easily afford a fine watch if you really wanted to. Just stating the obvious.

Zactly!

I'm trying to convey, evidently imprecisely, that NONE of the watches described as owned or soon to be owned qualify as "fine", but for the money spent a really fine watch could've been purchased.

I KNOW ABOUT FINE WATCHES. I thought that was the point of the thread.

Watches are classified as:

High End Luxury Watches: Audemars Piaget, Blancpain, Breguet, Patek Phillipe, Ulysse Narden

Luxury: Breitling, Omega Rolex

Pseudo Luxury Watches: Baume & Mercier, Raymond Weil, Tag Heuer

Basic Luxury Watches: Epos, Fortis, Movado, and Oris

Fashion Jewelry: Bulova, Citizen, Invicta, Seiko

You don't have to spend thousands of dollars to get a time piece that is unique. Any watch made between 1969 and 1980 was produced at the pinnacle of mechanical watch manufacturing. THESE are the real gems and real fun watches to collect. Most of these can be had for less than $1500 and most are between $300 and $750.

Anyone with a checkbook and the funds to cover the check can walk right in and buy a Rolex. They probably won't even have to know anything about watches to do so. I won't ever own one because of this even if I could afford one.

I prefer "simple exotics" like this one:

The first mechanical diver's watch Seiko ever produced in 1975.

17 Jewels, automatic bi-directional winder. Will run like a sewing machine for decades to come.

Can be had for for less than $350.

Here's another diver's watch. Not quite as exotic. Produced in 1985.

Again, another fantastic find that will run for 100 years with routine service.

Very expensive at $85 Buy it Now.

There is a difference between buying a "bling" watch (Rolex included) to impress others and buying a watch because you like the looks and appreciate the fact that you are wearing a box of metal gears and screws that sling around at the speed of 22,000-48,000 movements per minute and can tell time within +/- a few seconds a day.

To me, it's like wearing a miniature indy car engine at full scream on your wrist.

THAT is a "fine" watch. When you hold it in your hand, you know it's quality.

PS. I have owned THREE of the watches you have in your collection. I had several of the Bulova kenetic wind quartz watches as well as the Seiko.

They weren't bad watches, but when they quit working, they were done. No service, no watchmaker, to parts. I gave them to my son to play with.

I also have the disadvantage of being unable to wear quartz watches. Something about my charming personality kills them within 6 months. Digital watches turn black. I'm cursed. Or maybe just a dick.

Tig, I'm sorry if I've offended you.

--Erik Buell

FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote