Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #101
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

She's a big girl and capable of making her own decisions like the rest of us, but....
If it were me, I'd suggest looking into some quality mesh/armored gear, with reinforced/leather impact areas. I have a Cortech GX Air which I believe to provide a pretty decent level of protection, and it feels like I turned on an air-conditioner once I'm over 20 or so. I think it's actually cooler than nothing but a T-shirt. Mesh overpants are also pretty convenient & quick to put on/take off, and if worn over shorts are probably better protection than jeans alone (certainly better knee protection). Like I said though - her decision, and just my suggestion.

I don't wear full-leather 'around town' either, and don't blame her for not wanting to. But she really should understand the potential risk accurately - 'around town' and as a new rider is where she's most likely to take a spill and roadrash/busted-up joints are exactly the same for 30hp bike riders as 150hp bike riders, after all.
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #102
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
She's a big girl and capable of making her own decisions like the rest of us, but....
If it were me, I'd suggest looking into some quality mesh/armored gear, with reinforced/leather impact areas. I have a Cortech GX Air which I believe to provide a pretty decent level of protection, and it feels like I turned on an air-conditioner once I'm over 20 or so. I think it's actually cooler than nothing but a T-shirt. Mesh overpants are also pretty convenient & quick to put on/take off, and if worn over shorts are probably better protection than jeans alone (certainly better knee protection). Like I said though - her decision, and just my suggestion.

I don't wear full-leather 'around town' either, and don't blame her for not wanting to. But she really should understand the potential risk accurately - 'around town' and as a new rider is where she's most likely to take a spill and roadrash/busted-up joints are exactly the same for 30hp bike riders as 150hp bike riders, after all.
Btw I just got my Red Route jeans the other day and I have to say that I like them better than Draggin', Joe Rocket or Shift jeans. I took the knee armor out since I have my own and they are very comfortable.

True and 25 mph is 25 mph not matter what you are riding. Whether it be a bicycle or a MV Agusta. Like I said, if she had bought a 250cc scooter, no one would be saying shit about gear and you all know it! Anyway, I don't know what you all are talking about, my gf is 100% agatt! She's taken all the MSF courses and she has signed up for all of the track schools!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #103
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Or you could allow her to make her own decisions and spend the time you'd be devoting to the gear talk bonin' her... Just sayin'...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #104
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Or you could allow her to make her own decisions and spend the time you'd be devoting to the gear talk bonin' her... Just sayin'...
You're right about that!!!
Old 07-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #105
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
You're right about that!!!
Yes he is absolutely correct, she is a big girl and should be able to make her own decision. However It would prolly be wise to show her pictures of that chick that lost 1/2 her skin from a bike accident, remember those pics, the cute blond wearing the blue panties with all the rash

I found a pic of her

Old 07-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #106
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

And here's somebody who was wearing full gear.. Better sell the bike tomorrow. No point in riding in constant fear that it could happen to you too..

Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #107
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
Tig I understand and respect that. I just don't want people reading this thread (and yes it may be more people than we think) that a 250cc 0-100mph motorcycle is too weak to hurt someone. I know you know that Tig but that is a misconception I hear all the time from people that actually believe it.

I actually heard a sales rep at our local honda dealer tell a guy buying a cruiser that "I ride a sportbike so I wear these armored guantlet gloves, but you are buying a cruiser I would recommend these fingerless gloves, they will keep the sweat off your hands" I couldn't believe my ears.

I think it kicks ass that your girl bought a bike and wants to ride, the world needs more women riders. I just think she should be fully aware of the risks, big fast bike or beginner bike, for injury. If she understands these risks and still wants to dress less, so be it. Shit I'm even anti-helmet law cause I hate the gov. telling me what gear to wear.

I just want new riders to be safe till they know what they are getting into.

When in actuallity, all you (collective you) are really doing is stopping people from contributing and posting anything like this again.

How dare he show us something that makes him happy and not expect to get shit on?

I know you (actual you) mean no harm. It just gets old. There are very few new riders here from what I can tell. Also, myself and many others refuse to be some form of role model for newbies. If they want to learn, feel free to ask questions. Most people will answer them. But, why would I even pretend to be something I'm (collective I'm) not?

People ask me all the time what kind of bike they should get. I always tell them to steer clear of a SS and to be smart. That doesn't mean I'm going to go up to every newbie on an SS and beat his head in because he didn't listen to advice.

So.. In short, solicited advice=good..

Unsolicited advice = condescending
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #108
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

WOW!!! Game , set and match!!! I've always avoided going here. To be honest if you look at the numbers and if you want to use emergency room/ambulance horror stories to prove your point, he's right, none of us should ride at all!
Old 07-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #109
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
When in actuallity, all you (collective you) are really doing is stopping people from contributing and posting anything like this again.

How dare he show us something that makes him happy and not expect to get shit on?

I know you (actual you) mean no harm. It just gets old. There are very few new riders here from what I can tell. Also, myself and many others refuse to be some form of role model for newbies. If they want to learn, feel free to ask questions. Most people will answer them. But, why would I even pretend to be something I'm (collective I'm) not?

People ask me all the time what kind of bike they should get. I always tell them to steer clear of a SS and to be smart. That doesn't mean I'm going to go up to every newbie on an SS and beat his head in because he didn't listen to advice.

So.. In short, solicited advice=good..

Unsolicited advice = condescending
Exactly, when I met her last year, her mind was set on getting a 600. As I got to know her better, she asked my opinion and I asked her some questions about her experience and what she was trying to do. I suggested the 250. She looked at it and said "No fucking way, it's ugly!". I showed her some other small bikes and it kinda sat there. Well here came Kawasaki with a decent looking beginner bike and she was in.

She has seen my scars and she is no stranger to injury. This is no Polly Anna here! I will not make a hypocrite of myself because she is a new rider. I will not tell her something that I myself don't believe. Now I have to leave and go get this dog! See ya!
Old 07-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #110
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Man that ride sucked! I don't give a fuck how many miles so and so put on their 250. I had that bitch to the stop for an hour!!!!