Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #111
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I said ENJOY it, not so you can "fit in"........You already said you used to drink, so why did you do it then?
To fit in, peer pressure, most likely the same exact reasons almost everyone starts drinking. I know a lot of you are going to say that you love the taste of alcohol but I never did. I honestly think it tastes like crap! Perhaps I didn't buy the "good stuff"... At any rate, once I got the "courage" to start thinking for myself, I quit. It wasn't hard. I was like 22 or 23 at the time. I quit even the casual use of pot when I was around 17, I really didn't see any future in it and I have witnessed it being a gateway drug. I honestly believe in " to each his own" BUT that doesn't mean that other people aren't allowed to have an opinion about the things you do.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #112
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Fair enough. I feel the same way about coffee..... I suspect most people get into it because of trying to fit in or be adult-like....... Not because it tasted good. When you are a little kid, coffee doesn't taste good, except for truly weird kids.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #113
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Fair enough. I feel the same way about coffee..... I suspect most people get into it because of trying to fit in or be adult-like....... Not because it tasted good. When you are a little kid, coffee doesn't taste good, except for truly weird kids.
Oh yea, I don't drink coffee either, yuck! I even tried to come back when the espresso craze hit town but still....without a ton of sugar, chocolate, milk, etc I can't stomach coffee.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #114
goof2
AMA Supersport

Looks like this may be somewhat of a test case for the testing positive for "legal" marijuana at work discussion.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/06/29...ex.html?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a lawsuit against Wal-Mart for the termination of a Michigan employee whose doctor verified his illness qualified for medical marijuana use.

Wal-Mart, the nation's largest retailer, fired Joseph Casias in November 2009 after he failed an on-the-job injury-related drug test. Casias suffers from a rare form of cancer in his nasal cavity and brain, and he relied on his doctor's medical marijuana prescription to alleviate the daily pain. Casias is one of about 20,000 legal medical marijuana users in Michigan.

"Medical marijuana has had a life-changing positive effect for Joseph, but Wal-Mart made him pay a stiff and unfair price for his medicine," said Scott Michelman, staff attorney with the ACLU Drug Law Reform Project.

"No patient should be forced to choose between adequate pain relief and gainful employment, and no employer should be allowed to intrude upon private medical choices made by employees in consultation with their doctors," Michelman said.

Wal-Mart officials say they are sympathetic to Casias' condition, but the company needed to put the safety of its customers and associates first.

"As more states allow this treatment, employers are left without any guidelines except the federal standard," wrote Lorenzo Lopez, a director of media relations at Wal-Mart, in an e-mail to CNN. "In these cases, until further guidance is available, we will always default to what we believe is the safest environment for our associates and customers."

The ACLU's lawsuit, filed in Calhoun County Circuit Court in Michigan, comes at a time when the controversy over medical marijuana is still being debated in many states. To date, 14 states have laws allowing the use of medical marijuana, which protect legal users from criminalization. But the laws are murky when it comes to protecting users from termination by their employers in some states.

Casias told CNN in March that he never arrived at work high and used the medical marijuana only outside of his work hours.

Michigan is an at-will employment state, which means employers can terminate a worker for any reason except for being in a federally protected class such as race, gender and religion. The ACLU is arguing legal medical marijuana users should also be protected under a Michigan law.

"I was angry they did this to me because I always tried my best," Casias said to CNN in March. He had worked for Wal-Mart for nearly five years to support his wife and two young children. He started at the company as a grocery store stocker in 2004 before moving up to become an inventory control manager. He earned an Associate of the Year Award at Wal-Mart in 2008, a year before his termination

He has battled with his cancer for more than a decade. The lawsuit says the medical marijuana was able to provide him with pain relief.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #115
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Okay, that sucks but what happened to aspirin, motrin, morphine, etc? Why does it have to be pot? I've smoked pot and never realized that it had any pain relief qualities.... Regardless, I can see Walmart's point here, this guy had an on site accident, the article doesn't state whether he was injured or if he had injured someone else. What's Walmart supposed to do, allow him to operate a lift until someone gets killed? Could you imagine the lawsuit?

He says that he never used at work or before work but I find that to be far fetched. Obviously, I don't know his work hours but since Walmart is open 24/7 they could be anytime. Are we to believe that he went without his "necessary" pain relief treatment all day before his afternoon shifts and then his entire shift? How long does it take for pot to completely wear off? Would it be okay for him to go out and get drunk before a shift as long as he stops drinking 4 hours before his start time?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #116
Evadd
formerly known as tdah

Moto: 06 R1, 01 600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Probably true. I don't want to work/go to battle with anyone impaired in ANY way. If you have a lack of sleep because of battle necessity, it is not the same as if you drink, take meds or smoke dope on your breaks.
actually, it is. studies have shown that sleep deprivation has the same effect on a person's ability to function as consuming 1-2 alcoholic drinks per hour.
Evadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #117
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evadd View Post
actually, it is. studies have shown that sleep deprivation has the same effect on a person's ability to function as consuming 1-2 alcoholic drinks per hour.
Okay, I don't know you so I'll need to ask a couple questions; 1 have you ever been in combat? I have. 2. Do you know the difference between necessary and voluntary?

In combat and even sometimes in life, you are FORCED to go without the proper amount of sleep. You are not FORCED to get high. Besides as a lot of the guys will back me up, in the military, you are often FORCED to go without sleep, why would you want to add pot to that? Do you have a study that proves that getting high when you are overly tired makes you a better soldier? If so then break it out, I'd be interested to read what they have to say.

Basically, what a lot of you are trying to say is that having your left hand cut off is just as detrimental as cutting off your own right hand... Okay, so why do you all want to cut off both? Hey, here's an idea, how about we strive to come to work/combat well rested and sober? You know instead of making excuses why getting high is the same as __________ or doing ________ is just as bad as getting high. Let's not do either if we have the choice.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #118
Evadd
formerly known as tdah

Moto: 06 R1, 01 600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Okay, I don't know you so I'll need to ask a couple questions; 1 have you ever been in combat? I have. 2. Do you know the difference between necessary and voluntary?

In combat and even sometimes in life, you are FORCED to go without the proper amount of sleep. You are not FORCED to get high. Besides as a lot of the guys will back me up, in the military, you are often FORCED to go without sleep, why would you want to add pot to that? Do you have a study that proves that getting high when you are overly tired makes you a better soldier? If so then break it out, I'd be interested to read what they have to say.

Basically, what a lot of you are trying to say is that having your left hand cut off is just as detrimental as cutting off your own right hand... Okay, so why do you all want to cut off both? Hey, here's an idea, how about we strive to come to work/combat well rested and sober? You know instead of making excuses why getting high is the same as __________ or doing ________ is just as bad as getting high. Let's not do either if we have the choice.
easy, cowboy. i have no problem with people working fatigued when they have to. i do 30-hour shifts (better than the 36 i used to do) and make on-the-spot life and death decisions.

my statement was ONLY about your statement saying fatigue is not the same as being intoxicated. it IS, and studies have proven it. would i want someone drunk AND intoxicated? no, and that's a stupid question that has nothing to do with what i said.

Last edited by Evadd; 06-30-2010 at 12:11 PM..
Evadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #119
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
easy, cowboy. i have no problem with people working fatigued when they have to. i do 30-hour shifts (better than the 36 i used to do) and make on-the-spot life and death decisions.

my statement was ONLY about your statement saying fatigue is not the same as being intoxicated. it IS, and studies have proven it. would i want someone drunk AND intoxicated? no, and that's a stupid question that has nothing to do with what i said.
Careful with that there logic buddy...scary stuff.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:08 PM   #120
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

It is not the same because you sometimes HAVE to work tired, you never HAVE to work while high. I'm not talking the effects here, who cares? Saying that heroin is worse than pot or pot isn't any worse than not sleeping doesn't matter. I don't want to have to count on you regardless of what is impairing you.