Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #151
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
That's a mistake that the end-of-the-world types make, on purpose. The Mayan calendar doesn't predict anything. The Mayans just didn't release a 2013 edition of their calendar. Whether it's because they just couldn't be bothered planning further ahead than that, or if it was because their calendar girl Ix Chel wouldn't sign another contact, is up for grabs.

Based on the fact that their civilization is gone, it probably was a good idea not to plan that far ahead anyway.
Thats awesome, thanks for clearing that up.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #152
AquaPython
put it THIS way

According to mayans and the calender, it is the End of the 4th Era (or world), signalling the begining of the 5th and final era. people take it to mean the end of the world because according to mayan stories each time the era ends the world is supposedly destroyed and born anew. However, this destruction or cleansing is just a translation (or mis-translation) because obviously some mayans survived from age to age to pass on the stories.
the age's also line up with certain very real celestial events, such as the earth's alignment and crossing of the galaxial plane which may cause a pole shift (both of which have happened before at about the same time)
Old 08-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #153
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
That's a mistake that the end-of-the-world types make, on purpose. The Mayan calendar doesn't predict anything. The Mayans just didn't release a 2013 edition of their calendar. Whether it's because they just couldn't be bothered planning further ahead than that, or if it was because their calendar girl Ix Chel wouldn't sign another contact, is up for grabs.

Based on the fact that their civilization is gone, it probably was a good idea not to plan that far ahead anyway.
Can't say I blame her, I hear the 2013 calender was the virgin sacrifice edition
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #154
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
According to mayans and the calender, it is the End of the 4th Era (or world), signalling the begining of the 5th and final era. people take it to mean the end of the world because according to mayan stories each time the era ends the world is supposedly destroyed and born anew. However, this destruction or cleansing is just a translation (or mis-translation) because obviously some mayans survived from age to age to pass on the stories.
the age's also line up with certain very real celestial events, such as the earth's alignment and crossing of the galaxial plane which may cause a pole shift (both of which have happened before at about the same time)
"Ephraim Zoot predicted that the world would end in April, 1964, - and for him, it did." - Benny Hill

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #155
Inferno
Canyon Carver

Moto: 08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
But AC didnt predict the end of the world in 2012, I beleive it was the Mayan calendar...
I think he said 2013, but not the end of the world...some type of world changing event that involves aliens and we humans evolving to the 4th density or some crap.
In the mid '90's he predicted(or the aliens told him) that in the year 2000, California was going to be a series of 9 or 13 islands and New York was going to be an ash pile due to some type of human caused event. He was sorta close on the New York thing, so his "fans" said he predicted it
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #156
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
Alignment and crossing of the galaxial plane?? I think I'm gonna have to call BS on this.

Pole shifts may have happened before, but it would have been due to large physical events here in Earth, like asteroid impacts, tectonic shifts, or massive shift of the ice shelves........Not because of some intergalactic thing.

Everyone talks about "alignment of the planets" or "alignment of the galaxy" like as if it imparts noticeable gravatational effects on our planet. It doesn't.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #157
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Alignment and crossing of the galaxial plane?? I think I'm gonna have to call BS on this.

Pole shifts may have happened before, but it would have been due to large physical events here in Earth, like asteroid impacts, tectonic shifts, or massive shift of the ice shelves........Not because of some intergalactic thing.

Everyone talks about "alignment of the planets" or "alignment of the galaxy" like as if it imparts noticeable gravatational effects on our planet. It doesn't.
End-of-the-worlders have been saying that we're somehow going to miraculously traverse the galactic plane virtually overnight, and are also calling for some massive galactic alignment at the same time. I don't know that we even have accurate enough tools to measure this stuff, on that scale.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #158
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

This seems to fit here. Either way, it's a cool video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCQx9U6awFw
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #159
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

Folding space? Sounds good until you realize the physical universe isn't a 2-d plane, but a 3-d object.

On folding space, as a Dune phile, I get pissed when people relate folding space and Dune. From the original novels, navigators didn't "fold" space. They traveled at relativistic velocies and used prescience to predict a safe route. But, I digress.

The entire concept of space time is what is so intriguing about this entire discussion. Somehow, space and time are intertwined and inseparable to our present knowledge. If someone, or some civilization, learns how to separate the two, all problems are solved. If that is the case, the discoverers will not give a rat's ass about our puny world, and thus we will never know.

Another nugget for thought is entropy and time perception. The entire, legitimate, scientific community supports the theory of entropy. That is, any system will spontaneously move towards the state of greatest disorder. Thus, the big bang, expanding universe, rust, erosion, etc. Entropy is a function of time, BUT WHAT THE FUCK IS TIME? Humans think of time as a measure of something, i.e. a clock, but it is more than that.

Myself, I have this grand theory that time is experienced differently by different things. Much like how solar radiation (UV rays) has a greater affect on some folks skin than others. Suppose some objects' structures are more resistant to time than others, i.e. a diamond vs. graphite pencil lead. In other words, "time" moves faster for the pencil lead vs. the diamond. Scientists predict gravitons, so why not timeitons?

This is great stuff. Once I smoke some weed, I'll put up some real crazy stuff.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #160
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6doublefive321 View Post

On folding space, as a Dune phile, I get pissed when people relate folding space and Dune. From the original novels, navigators didn't "fold" space. They traveled at relativistic velocies and used prescience to predict a safe route. But, I digress.
If they travelled below the speed of light, how would they get anywhere important before dying?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote