Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

View Poll Results: where does the shuttle belong?
New York 42 63.64%
Houston 3 4.55%
Other city 21 31.82%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #161
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Space.

JC
Correct answer.

Lift vehicles should be replaced, orbiters should continue to be used.

Original Space Shuttle plans were for a space plane lift vehicle, instead of the oxygen/aluminum "bomb" trio they ended up strapping it to for launch (keeping a straight face when the first one blew up must have been hard).

Put the damn thing on a reusable lift vehicle, as it should have been deployed in the first place, and it will continue to be a lower cost sustainable workhorse for years to come.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #162
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Correct answer.

Original Space Shuttle plans were for a space plane lift vehicle, instead of the oxygen/aluminum "bomb" trio they ended up strapping it to for launch (keeping a straight face when the first one blew up must have been hard).

Put the damn thing on a reusable lift vehicle, as it should have been deployed in the first place, and it will continue to be a lower cost sustainable workhorse for years to come.
But then the launch wouldn't be as much of an "ooooh, ahhhh" event. The American public only go for flashy. Flashy = Publicity. Publicity = Money. Sad that something can't be considered useful and therefore fundable for it's own sake...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #163
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Correct answer.

They didn't go with the space plane lift vehicle due to complexity and cost. Even if they had gone that direction it still would have ended up being a rocket fuel "bomb" strapped to the shuttle, only one designed to go primarily horizontal rather than vertical. It would have used jet engines to get it to the right altitude and speed to fire its rockets, then used the rockets to get to the right altitude and speed to jettison the shuttle. There would be nothing "lower cost" about designing and building some today.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #164
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

I politely disagree.

Replacing the lift vehicle means undertaking a project to make an advanced lift aircraft, not replace an entire spacecraft program (read: mo' money).

You can talk some fucking shit, boy, but you can't convince me that some lift planes are gonna cost more than replacing an entire fucking space program.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #165
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

New York, we have a problem.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #166
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I politely disagree.

Replacing the lift vehicle means undertaking a project to make an advanced lift aircraft, not replace an entire spacecraft program (read: mo' money).

You can talk some fucking shit, boy, but you can't convince me that some lift planes are gonna cost more than replacing an entire fucking space program.
What do you mean? We aren't replacing the entire space program. We will be using commercial launch services and Russian rockets, both of which already exist, to replace the shuttle which is essentially an SUV to low earth orbit.

What you are talking about is not only replacing that with a non-existent vehicle, but a vehicle that practically every space program has examined and subsequently discarded as too complex and expensive. I "can talk some fucking shit, boy" because I am backed up by every substantial space program on the planet.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #167
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

I don't think a lift plane is impossible. I think the government has to look to the private companies, and take bids on designs, though, and not try and do it "in house" with NASA.

That FO SHO ain't gonna fly [pun intended].
Old 04-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #168
goof2
AMA Supersport

Nobody has said it is impossible, just more complex and expensive when compared to other options.

ETA: Also, neither Apollo or the Shuttle were built "in house" by NASA. They both went through a process similar to what you describe.

Last edited by goof2; 04-20-2011 at 05:49 PM..
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #169
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

I never really understood the whole lift plane idea. You're gonna build a reusable vehicle with a sizeable payload capacity so it can ferry another reusable vehicle with a (relatively) crappy payload capacity most of the way up to orbit. (Actually, since the shuttle orbiter doesn't have tanks for its main engines, you'd have to get it all the way up to orbit, I'm guessing.)

Take the glider prop off the back, and fly that lift plane all the way up to orbit with something useful on its back.

Last edited by anthonyk; 04-20-2011 at 07:02 PM..
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #170
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Actually, a proper lift plane could take an orbiter most of the way up, and smaller external Ox tanks could make the boost into orbit without having to use any aluminum "Roman Candles". Remember, the orbiter has engines.