View Poll Results: Your opinion
This is a good idea 38 90.48%
This is a bad idea 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #11
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

I'm all for it. Only people obeying ridiculous "gun free zones" are law abiding citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I voted bad idea. Administrators, yes; students, no.

I agree that "gun free zones" are just a place for criminals to shoot fish in a barrel, I just don't think the students should be armed. Kids don't have sufficient impulse control.

Teachers, administrators, and security personnel, yes.
If a person passes the appropriate measures to obtain a concealed carry permit, why would it matter? This measure doesn't allow anybody to throw a gun in a backpack for shits and giggles. Unless I'm mistaken, you would still need a concealed carry permit. The only thing this does is remove a university from the list of places you couldn't carry. If someone has gotten their CCW, they've probably shown some form of control and responsibility around guns.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:53 AM   #12
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I voted bad idea. Administrators, yes; students, no.

I agree that "gun free zones" are just a place for criminals to shoot fish in a barrel, I just don't think the students should be armed. Kids don't have sufficient impulse control.

Teachers, administrators, and security personnel, yes.
The article doesn't say, but the law requires anyone who carries on campus to have a concealed weapons permit. Anyone who would be legally carrying on campus is already allowed to legally carry pretty much everywhere else in the state.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #13
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I'm all for it. Only people obeying ridiculous "gun free zones" are law abiding citizens.

If a person passes the appropriate measures to obtain a concealed carry permit, why would it matter? This measure doesn't allow anybody to throw a gun in a backpack for shits and giggles. Unless I'm mistaken, you would still need a concealed carry permit. The only thing this does is remove a university from the list of places you couldn't carry. If someone has gotten their CCW, they've probably shown some form of control and responsibility around guns.
Your post went up while I was typing. Yes, the person would need to have a concealed weapons permit before being legal to carry on campus.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:55 AM   #14
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

I delivered to an 'Explorers" club meeting the other day... was a lil freaky honestly. Walked in to a room with an officer in the front and about a dozen 13-17 year old teens, all with guns holstered to their sides. I'm all for it, but I have to say it was a strange feeling walking in on that.

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #15
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
I delivered to an 'Explorers" club meeting the other day... was a lil freaky honestly. Walked in to a room with an officer in the front and about a dozen 13-17 year old teens, all with guns holstered to their sides. I'm all for it, but I have to say it was a strange feeling walking in on that.
Wait...what?! My chapter never got guns. The cops just wanted patsies to sell their damn policeman's ball tickets.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #16
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I'm all for it!
As am I.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #17
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

i voted good but with some reservations. no offense to many here but half of that statement, ok less then half but you know what I mean, are barely old enough to drink. (if even) do we really want them carrying guns and making life or death decisions while under the pressure of tests, girls/guys, parents, new freedom, etc.

i look at my son of 20 (almost old enough to have a handgun) and really can't say I want him carrying a gun concealed as of yet. he can shoot like no other, and he's responsible for a 20 yr old (sometimes) but................

maybe some students and some professors yes but some maybe not.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #18
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
i voted good but with some reservations. no offense to many here but half of that statement, ok less then half but you know what I mean, are barely old enough to drink. (if even) do we really want them carrying guns and making life or death decisions while under the pressure of tests, girls/guys, parents, new freedom, etc.

i look at my son of 20 (almost old enough to have a handgun) and really can't say I want him carrying a gun concealed as of yet. he can shoot like no other, and he's responsible for a 20 yr old (sometimes) but................

maybe some students and some professors yes but some maybe not.
While I see your point, I would offer this up.

Since the minimum age to conceal carry that I'm aware of in most, if not all states is 21, then it stand to reason there are plenty of people who are *barely of age* carrying concealed. They already have all of the pressures you noted outside of the campus. Now, they simply have the option to carry on campus.

I'm all for it.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #19
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
While I see your point, I would offer this up.

Since the minimum age to conceal carry that I'm aware of in most, if not all states is 21, then it stand to reason there are plenty of people who are *barely of age* carrying concealed. They already have all of the pressures you noted outside of the campus. Now, they simply have the option to carry on campus.

I'm all for it.
agree but, what about in the dorms? it would seem a 21 year old carrying out in society, where all ages and mentalitys are, they would think responsibly. now put that 21 year old in a dorm full of 18 - 24 year olds, at least one of whom will say "hey johnny has a gun". next statement is "hey let me see it" "no I can't"
"let me see it and I'll let you see my ....."
or
"let me see it or I'll take it"

too much testosterone and immaturity in a dorm. there is no way they would keep it hidden from roommates and what not.

I guess I would agree they could carry in class but not in the dorms if that makes sense.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #20
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Just because you carry doesnt mean you have to use your weapon. People still have their damn brains stuck in old western movies.

I have a drivers license. Doesnt mean I have to drive. I have an asbestoes certificate. Doesnt mean I have to work around it.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote