Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Too think I enjoyed going to the movie rental store.
Sometimes you meet the nicest (or cutest) people roaming the isles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Yep, I believe they do.
Nope, they are separate companies.

I don't really see how Netflix got "owned" in the article. They are speculating about where their business is going to go. Some of their customers may not like it, but if their On-Demand services improve they may. More than anything I'm guessing Netflix doesn't like what is likely to continue to happen with postage rates.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
I'm cheap bro... I'm not willing to go $6 per rental. Have you used VuDu? The picture quality is outstanding even with regular SD quality movies. If they would offer a subscription I would sign right up.

Yep, I believe they do.
Seriously, for as often as I sit down and watch rented movies, 6$ is nothing, as i'd be lucky to spend 20$/month anyway.

If its a movie I really, really like/want, ill buy on bluray. If not, ill see it on TMN within months.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Honestly, I like netflix as it allowed me to find some very good tv shows that I would have not even known about otherwise (Robin Hood BBC, The Tudors, tons of documentaries), but watching it, or DVD, is almost painful when your used to Bluray and HD Sattelite. So I have no problem with them not offering DVD, I just wish they would upgrade the image quality of their titles digitally, as even running on HD-High, its not true HDTV. And since I dont pay for bandwith (unlimited GB for 45$/month), I have no problem with larger file sizes.

I dont blame them at all for getting out of the DVD mail rental business, Digital really is the way to go for rentals nowadays. I love the Sony PSN rental service. Pick a movie, dl (or stream if you want, but you wanna make sure your 25-50% done when you start), and watch it anytime you want for the next 14 days. Same price as a movie rental at a brick and mortar store (5.99), and true HD quality.
Yep. I like getting physical disks because I bought a BluRay player and an HD and right now the only way to get the most out of them is with BluRay discs, for me a big part of enjoying a movie is the visual art aspect which can be ruined when its been compressed for streaming. Plus, only about 10% of the movies I try to add to my queue are available instantly anyway.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #15
shmike
Follower

I agree with most of you guys.

Do away with disks only once your streaming library includes ALL the stuff I want to see.

I prefer streaming but the poor quality and lack of quantity is annoying.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #16
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
I love the Sony PSN rental service. Pick a movie, dl (or stream if you want, but you wanna make sure your 25-50% done when you start), and watch it anytime you want for the next 14 days. Same price as a movie rental at a brick and mortar store (5.99), and true HD quality.
Same here. Movies are often available to rent the same day they're released.

I canceled my Netflix subscription before the free trial was even up. I didnt like the movie selection they're offering right now. I can appreciate it being good for the TV series' and documentaries but I can never make time to watch them. So now, when I want to stream quality, I use PSN. When I just want to watch something, I use Torrents.
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #17
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Nope, they are separate companies.

I don't really see how Netflix got "owned" in the article. They are speculating about where their business is going to go. Some of their customers may not like it, but if their On-Demand services improve they may. More than anything I'm guessing Netflix doesn't like what is likely to continue to happen with postage rates.
Ha you're right! I would have swore I had heard that Netflix owned it... My bad! Block Buster does own Blue Box, right?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #18
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider2k2 View Post
Same here. Movies are often available to rent the same day they're released.

I canceled my Netflix subscription before the free trial was even up. I didnt like the movie selection they're offering right now. I can appreciate it being good for the TV series' and documentaries but I can never make time to watch them. So now, when I want to stream quality, I use PSN. When I just want to watch something, I use Torrents.
Did you just say that you don't have time for streaming but you do have time for torrents?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #19
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Yep. I like getting physical disks because I bought a BluRay player and an HD and right now the only way to get the most out of them is with BluRay discs, for me a big part of enjoying a movie is the visual art aspect which can be ruined when its been compressed for streaming. Plus, only about 10% of the movies I try to add to my queue are available instantly anyway.
Try VuDu on a PS3 or TV with it built in and see what you think...

http://www.vudu.com/
Old 01-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #20
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
They got "owned" because this article was front page Yahoo, with a headline saying their customers are upset.

And more importantly because streaming quality isn't up there yet, (and likely never will be).
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote