Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Make sure your girlfriends sees all this so you have time to change if you need, if she doesn't approve of your look.
Great advice. If she doesnt like the outfit youre screwed before you even leave the house.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Make sure your girlfriends sees all this so you have time to change if you need, if she doesn't approve of your look.
Well honestly I know she really doesn't care. I told her I planned to wear a black suit with a light blue shirt. I even offered to show her a picture and email it to her but she said to suprise her. She's crazy about me and all but I still don't want to be the underdressed dude.

I talked to my dad and he is going to try and exchange the shirt at Kholes tommorow and get me a new one with an 18 1/2 inch neck. Then he is going to press it for me (my dad rules!). Sleeves were good on my other and the fitted actually fit well except for the neck. But I'm not going to go to Men's Wearhouse for a $100 custom fit shirt. I'll stick to the $20 form Kholes or whatever.

But if I do look goofy all the guys at her school are a bunch of skinny nerds (aka all of our future bosses) so they won't say anything (until they are my boss). And all of her sorority sisters think I'm the greatest thing ever.

Appreciate the info guys. Hopefully it won't be too big of a disaster.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:07 PM   #13
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

best thing you can do is, if you have a few bucks to spend, go to men's warehouse or a similar store - some respectable store that sells suits.. find a hot chick saleswoman.. tell her listen i am clueless please help me and explain your situation.. i have dressed up my entire life but i still do that anyways.. i figure a couple of things - 1. a hot chick is going to dress you how she would like to see you therefore other hot chicks will dig you kwim? 2. it's pretty cool to have the complete undivided attention of a hot chick for 30 minutes even if it is just that she is a cheap and easy commission whore that will discard you like a used piece of trash once the sale is complete..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Well honestly I know she really doesn't care. I told her I planned to wear a black suit with a light blue shirt. I even offered to show her a picture and email it to her but she said to suprise her. She's crazy about me and all but I still don't want to be the underdressed dude.

I talked to my dad and he is going to try and exchange the shirt at Kholes tommorow and get me a new one with an 18 1/2 inch neck. Then he is going to press it for me (my dad rules!). Sleeves were good on my other and the fitted actually fit well except for the neck. But I'm not going to go to Men's Wearhouse for a $100 custom fit shirt. I'll stick to the $20 form Kholes or whatever.

But if I do look goofy all the guys at her school are a bunch of skinny nerds (aka all of our future bosses) so they won't say anything (until they are my boss). And all of her sorority sisters think I'm the greatest thing ever.

Appreciate the info guys. Hopefully it won't be too big of a disaster.
ok well even kohl's you can find a hot saleswoman and do the same thing i reckon.. i just think it's more effective at a place like men's warehouse.. and the shirts aren't $100 they are more like $30 or so for a decent shirt at MWH.. I have seen shirts at Kohl's that cost more..

Old 04-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #15
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I talked to my dad and I got way too small. I got a 16 1/2 and apparently it's a "Fitted" shirt. Major Fail on my part. It said large and I thought Large was Large. I then tried an old 17 1/2 and it was too small too. I guess I need an 18 or 18 1/2

I'll get a new one tommorow and hopefully find a dry cleaner that can have it pressed or something by Friday afternoon since I won't be near my home for a few days (Nickleback Concert Thursday!!! My kind of formal)
If you get desperate you can try one of the no iron shirts, but the only ones I know of that don't come out looking like shit are Brooks Brothers.

Quote:
I dig this girl and even though I know I'll embarass her I don't want it to be because of my suit. Problem is she is slumming big time and has to polish the hell out of this turd. She says she doesn't care but I'd like to try out wearing a suit to an event where someone didn't start off dead.
I wouldn't sweat it too much. While I was never involved with fraternities or anything like that, based on the schools where I have spent time most of the people look like complete dirt bags most of the time. I also wouldn't worry too much about embarrassing her. If there is alcohol around you can feel pretty secure that most of the people there will not remember what they were wearing, much less what you had on.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #16
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post

I wouldn't sweat it too much. While I was never involved with fraternities or anything like that, based on the schools where I have spent time most of the people look like complete dirt bags most of the time. I also wouldn't worry too much about embarrassing her. If there is alcohol around you can feel pretty secure that most of the people there will not remember what they were wearing, much less what you had on.
I've been to some fraternity parties where people were in tuxes and had to be sure they set their drinks down on a coaster...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #17
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
If you get desperate you can try one of the no iron shirts, but the only ones I know of that don't come out looking like shit are Brooks Brothers.

all i wear everyday is non iron shirts and i don't iron a fucking thing - washer, dryer, done deal.. fuck it.. i have a variety of brands and they all seem pretty good.. if they get a little wrinkled you can throw them in the dryer on high heat and boofuckingyah good to go..

Old 04-23-2009, 12:24 AM   #18
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Double Windsor FTW! Try Marshall Field's (or Belk's) for the shirt. You can often catch a good sale there. If the jacket is okay but you are concerned about the slacks. You can get a decent pair for under $50 (Izod, Dockers,etc). Suit jackets are timeless for the most part but slacks can get dated and ill fitting. I'm mostly wondering about what you are planning to wear for shoes. I don't know how "formal" we're talking here but a nice pair of khaki slacks, a lt blue shirt, a nice tie and a black jacket should look decent. Get a decent hair cut/shoes and away you go!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:02 AM   #19
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Oh boy.... you are right up my alley. I've been working at a Casual Male so long, that I could size you by just looking at you.

What size tee do you wear, 1X or 2X? Odds are if he buys you an 18 1/2 the neck will be good, but you might have too much matierial around the waist if you are a 1X. If so, go with the better fitting 18 and buy a button extender, every shop has them..... and their like $2! And YES you need to button the top button!

Also take into consideration your arm length. Are you a 35/36 or a 37/38??? You gotta be attentive to that, cause if you are wearing a suit, a shirt thats too short or too long ruins the look.

Think i sell too many dress shirts????
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:48 AM   #20
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Oh boy.... you are right up my alley. I've been working at a Casual Male so long, that I could size you by just looking at you.

What size tee do you wear, 1X or 2X? Odds are if he buys you an 18 1/2 the neck will be good, but you might have too much matierial around the waist if you are a 1X. If so, go with the better fitting 18 and buy a button extender, every shop has them..... and their like $2! And YES you need to button the top button!

Also take into consideration your arm length. Are you a 35/36 or a 37/38??? You gotta be attentive to that, cause if you are wearing a suit, a shirt thats too short or too long ruins the look.

Think i sell too many dress shirts????
You nailed my problem exactly- I'm tall and in good shape, so I have an 18 neck and a 37/38 sleeve, but my waist is relatively narrow so most shirts that fit my sleeve length and collar end up fitting nicely at the chest but are too big at the waist. Honestly, the best fitting shirt I own is one I never thought I'd wear- Sean John.

Oh, and for the tie- if you're a big guy, tie a double windsor. Google it. Anything less looks goofy if you have a big neck.