Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Like Leon said, he probably wont make a great guard dog due to his breed. Could be a very worthy companion though. For the most part just treat him like a nomal dog with out feeling sorry for him. Work on his training, take lots of walks, give him some structure and he should recover nicely.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

i just took in an abused boxer that was an outside dog and he has never had an accident nor chewed anything, just take it easy and be patient

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

Thanks everybody, last night was his first night with us and he did great. He is mouthing everything, stairs are just driving him nuts(never had to negotiate them before), the min-pin hates him cuz Vlad wants to play and Maks is way too small. He slept in a crate, did reasonably well. Loves his chew toy and my wife is already asking about him maybe sleeping at the foot of the bed, he loves to snuggle up to her. When I said guard dog...I just meant a little deterrant by way of barking or a show, I knew these dogs are not true guard dogs. The girls love him and he spent a few hours with me when I got home with no problems. He still has sore ribs but he has a ton of energy and I am excited to have him with us. Thanks all...still waiting to post pics...sorry.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #14
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHotWheel View Post
Thanks everybody, last night was his first night with us and he did great. He is mouthing everything, stairs are just driving him nuts(never had to negotiate them before), the min-pin hates him cuz Vlad wants to play and Maks is way too small. He slept in a crate, did reasonably well. Loves his chew toy and my wife is already asking about him maybe sleeping at the foot of the bed, he loves to snuggle up to her. When I said guard dog...I just meant a little deterrant by way of barking or a show, I knew these dogs are not true guard dogs. The girls love him and he spent a few hours with me when I got home with no problems. He still has sore ribs but he has a ton of energy and I am excited to have him with us. Thanks all...still waiting to post pics...sorry.
Thats good to hear.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
Krypt Keeper
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR1100XX, Daytona 600

Biggest thing with him it to just show him lots and lots of attention and love. They will learn that you mean them no harm like their previous owners. Pits are really smart dogs, and like others mentioned they are mainly babies. When I had mine the biggest danger was him hitting you in the nuts jumping onto your lap. He had it in his mind he was a lapdog.

I had a rescue Malamute about 8 months old and spent hours in the floor with her showing her I meant no harm. Just takes lots of time on your part and remember that you are basically starting from scratch but even worse from its previous experience.

I bet your pits size has alot to do with the crappy diet and lack of exercise in early months.

Good luck with him.
Krypt Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #16
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

glad to hear things are working out well for the pup.

fucking shame what happened to him. Maybe you should go visit the shop with a baseball bat, break a couple of ribs and say "how ya like it now, bitch?"
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #17
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

How awesome of you to take him in - humans make me angry sometimes, it's amazing how heartless people can be.

I'm glad he's recovering - and I agree with Kaneman. Give him good attention, and stay firm on his training. He'll get it, pits are smart dogs....

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #18
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

personal experience with pits here. I took one in at 6 months old. She was a beautiful girl, strong, loving, well behaved. One day my son went to feed her and she hunkered down and started snarling at him because he was holding her bowl. No apparent reason. ( no he didn't beat her or any other such crap) Pits are a different animal.
Second pit I had we lived in Florida. Apparently my neighbor liked to throw things at the dog when I wasn't home. Dog was patient,never outwardly aggresive towards the neighbor. Then one day dog pulledh is anchor out of the ground and busted down the fence. He had the man cornered in seconds. Luckily I was able to get there and retrieve the dog. Lesson learned, they don't forget. They may wait for an opportunity.

All in all you have a couple things going for you. Number one it's a mixed breed. number two support of your family in the venture. just be careful not to put too much faith in the "power of love". It's still an animal which has been abused, has slight aggresive nature, and will need lots of understanding.

MY pits were some of the best dogs I have ever owned, but they definitely require a watchful eye. I would worry about the min-pin depending on the size of the pit. They do not like squeaky small dogs.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #19
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
Second pit I had we lived in Florida. Apparently my neighbor liked to throw things at the dog when I wasn't home. Dog was patient,never outwardly aggresive towards the neighbor. Then one day dog pulledh is anchor out of the ground and busted down the fence. He had the man cornered in seconds. Luckily I was able to get there and retrieve the dog. Lesson learned, they don't forget. They may wait for an opportunity.
I hope that dude shit himself.. I hate idiots that do things like that.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #20
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
personal experience with pits here. I took one in at 6 months old. She was a beautiful girl, strong, loving, well behaved. One day my son went to feed her and she hunkered down and started snarling at him because he was holding her bowl. No apparent reason. ( no he didn't beat her or any other such crap) Pits are a different animal.
At least she growled. We took in a friend's hound dog that bit their baby with no warning, since my wife has quite a bit of dog training experience (and we had no kid then). His food aggression was really spooky, since he'd skip the growl and go straight to the teeth. We had to give him back, and they eventually found him a happy home out on a ranch with no other dogs or kids.

Pits don't have a corner on the aggression market, that's for sure. I think we're probably done taking in older dogs with unknown histories.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote