Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 06-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

I'd be interested in seeing the proof that he was texting at the moment he lost control and how police concluded EXACTLY what time the crash occurred.

I'm all for hammering people when they're irresponsible, especially in cases like this where someone else dies as a result... however, I'm skeptical of this sort of precident... He could have sent the text at 2:35:10 and crashed at 2:35:40... 30 seconds is a LOT of time in this scenario. Odds are he's probably guilty as sin, but still...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I still cant see how someone could drive and send a text at the same time. Still not sure if this will be a deterent, se ehow all the stiffer drunk driving penalties havent done a whole lot.
Yes and no... DD penalties are still pretty much a slap on the wrist unless something else happens...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

I can't lie. I've texted and drove. With my old phone, I could text without looking down at the buttons since they were textured. I've since quit texting for several years now (while driving). If I have my Jawbone Bluetooth connected, an automatic text is sent telling the sender I'm driving and can't text and please call me. If I'm on the bike it's the same. They get an automatic text telling them to call me. Personally, I think handsfree is safer than talking to a friend in the car because you aren't constantly looking over at the person and you keep your eyes on the road.
While I was still driving truck, I was on the phone a lot! That may scare some of you but, I was driving up to 20 hours a day and the conversation kept me awake and alert when I got tired. As the day went on and I got tired, I had to call someone to help wake me up. If it got too bad, I pulled-over.
Texting for most people including teens who are very talented at it, requires you to physically take your eyes off the road. ONE SECOND away from the road can be the difference between life and death!
I was on the jury of a wrongful death suit where the accused looked down just to push the button to change the station and when she looked back up, the other car was turning in front of her (the turner had a green arrow and the light was notoriously short) and her light was red. Only a moment and a life was taken.
As motorcyclists, we are (generally) much more aware of our surroundings and our own vulnerabilities. Most people have no concept of the importance of what they are doing when they are driving. I blame that on our government not requiring training to drive.
In Germany, I believe it's a minimum of 10 weeks of training IF you get everything right the first time through! If you fail a course, you are required to take it again AT YOUR COST! I haven't looked but, years ago it was around $1400. Over here you hop in drive to the street and back and you're good to go. Not good!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I'd be interested in seeing the proof that he was texting at the moment he lost control and how police concluded EXACTLY what time the crash occurred.
Exactly.......

What's next in the age of Big Brother? Wouldn't be surprised that the insurance lobby is figuring out a way to propose hidden cameras in cars....

Last edited by Homeslice; 06-07-2012 at 01:52 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Exactly.......

What's next in the age of Big Brother? Wouldn't be surprised that the insurance lobby is figuring out a way to propose hidden cameras in cars....
I can't wait until they make speed limiters linked to GPS mandatory on all vehicles sold in the US.
Right now they also have pilot programs where data loggers capture driving habits and send the info directly to insurance companies...I cant wait till they make those mandatory.

No speeding, aggressive driving is automatically reported. Toss in all the safety nannies (stability control, traction control, lane departure sensors, proximity sensors, auto park, auto shift, auto drive etc ect etc) and they will finally make travel safe for everyone within the constraints imposed by the law.

We will finally be able to text and travel without having to take public transportation.

The only thing is that they would have to ban all the older vehicles that don't have all the safety nannies installed.
For historical vehicles they would either have to pull the drivetrains (so you would be able to demonstrate the operation under a controlled environment) or do what they would have to fill the engines with concrete or something.

Motorcycles should just be banned altogether.
Too much is in control of the rider and everyone knows that human error is the leading cause of accidents. Its too difficult to control a motorcycle and text at the same time.

Maybe they should just ban cellphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I can't wait until they make speed limiters linked to GPS mandatory on all vehicles sold in the US.
Right now they also have pilot programs where data loggers capture driving habits and send the info directly to insurance companies...I cant wait till they make those mandatory.

No speeding, aggressive driving is automatically reported. Toss in all the safety nannies (stability control, traction control, lane departure sensors, proximity sensors, auto park, auto shift, auto drive etc ect etc) and they will finally make travel safe for everyone within the constraints imposed by the law.

We will finally be able to text and travel without having to take public transportation.

The only thing is that they would have to ban all the older vehicles that don't have all the safety nannies installed.
For historical vehicles they would either have to pull the drivetrains (so you would be able to demonstrate the operation under a controlled environment) or do what they would have to fill the engines with concrete or something.

Motorcycles should just be banned altogether.
Too much is in control of the rider and everyone knows that human error is the leading cause of accidents. Its too difficult to control a motorcycle and text at the same time.

Maybe they should just ban cellphones.
And the sad thing is, "the herd" will accept it....

Lately I've been hearing people have a growing acceptance of not owning a car, and just using public trans......But then I live in a big metro area......

Plus, we'll be seeing "drive by wire" sometime soon....
Old 06-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Quote:
Exactly.......

You obviously haven't been paying attention! Several years ago, the insurance companies lobbied congress to install GPS in all vehicles so they could monitor the insured drivers driving habits and adjust rates accordingly. They were not successful.
So, they went a different route. Perhaps you've heard of it.
It's called OnStar. There are other variations for other manufacturers but, it's all the same principle. I know, OnStar is great! It's so helpful and it's saved lives. I agree. However, don't be surprised when it's used for more sinister purposes. I believe one of the insurance companies has an offer where they install their own GPS tracker in your car and your rates can go down if you are a good driver. Of course, their definition of a good driver might be different than yours!
Big Brother is out there and he is us!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Exactly.......

Hidden? They figured out how to make it popular already...

http://www.progressive.com/auto/snapshot.aspx
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
Hidden? They figured out how to make it popular already...

http://www.progressive.com/auto/snapshot.aspx
Wow, how stupid

I haven't been paying attention to the insurance world, I've stayed with the same company (GEICO) for the last 10-12 yrs

Wonder how they define "sudden braking"

Personally I think sudden brakers are safer than old farts who constantly "ride" their brakes, overheating them
Old 06-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I don't have anyone who wants to text with me.
Will someone text with me so I can drive?
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote