Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
A public utility can create an easement, but a private party would need your permission, unless they made an agreement on an easement with the former owners of the property.

A private easement would be shown in the property documents. If not, it's tough shit for tractor boy.

Survey Says: Get a survey.

JC
In some places simply letting someone use your property for a given purpose, for an extended period of time, permits them to continue to do so. It's ridiculous, but true.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
In some places simply letting someone use your property for a given purpose, for an extended period of time, permits them to continue to do so. It's ridiculous, but true.
This is how I got my .75 acres as opposed to the .69 originally purchased. Works out if you are on the right side of the deal.
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by stermp66 View Post
Check your deed to the property if there is an easement (trail) to the property it will be documented in your deed. Even if it is still get the property surveyed to find where your lines are as realtors and prior home owners tend to stretch the lines to make it more appealling to a buyer.
actually the prev owners let it be and the realtor had showed me the land line in the farmers favor. not stretching it. not blaming them at all. I just accepted it and really would still except for the dumbass kid working for the farmer being an idiot and cuttin across my lawn and then saying he may have to mow down a tree or two.
the farmer himself has been pretty good.

I do worry some about the heighbor relationship thing. this is obviously country land, small town. I'm the newbie from the city. I have been very well accepted and liked thus far. I hate for people to suddenly start thinking I'm an asshole because I made the guy move his trail. at the same time however I hate to be anybody's bitch where they think they can just do whatever because they have for so long and I have nothing to say about it.

for those who say SURVEY NOW!! the estimate from the surveyor is on it's way. hopefully I can get him out there this month or early next. not sure I'll make farm boy move his trail but I do want to know exactly where the line is and make sure he knows and agrees where we stand.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

States differ on what consists of "Adverse Possesion". Some states take it pretty much as what is on the plat/survey is what it is, some states have strong "squatters rights" and some require some pretty stringent proofs before someone can claim land not formally there own. Here in Maryland, in or =-der to prove adverse possession, you have to document twenty years worth of possession or use with the knowledge of the legal owner AND YOU HAVE TO SHOW THAT YOU PAID THE PROPERTY TAXES ON THAT LAND FOR THE WHOLE TWENTY YEARS.

Before you go start a pissing contest that you could lose...GO GET COMPENTENT LEGAL ADVICE FROM SOMEONE WHO PRACTICES REAL ESTATE LAW IN YOUR STATE. It will likely only cost you a hundred bucks or so...but could save you from opening up a can of worms you may not be able to close.

In my brash youth, I bought a home next to some commercial property; FHA, surveyed, title insurance, the works. The owner of the commercial property did some grading and knocked down part of my privacy fence.

I called him, he basicially told me "Tough Noogies" and hung up. Me being full of youthful rightous indignation, called the zoning folks cause he didn't have the permits and the storm runoff controls so the county shut him down.

Victory for me, right?

Couple years later I went to sel my house; the morning of the day of closing I get a panicked call from my Real Estate Agent askin why I built my garage over the bad neighbors property line?

Huh?

House was built in 1890, garage built in in the 1940's; house had changed hands four years before I bought it......I didn't build anything.

It's called surveyor errors.....and they aren't covered by title insurance.

My choices: Chainsaw off the back two feet of my garage and lose the buyers, or pay $10,000 that day for two feet of land to get an easement so we can close.

Most expensive "Victory" I ever had.

I am just saying it may be cheaper to pay $100 now to an attorney before you get the neighbor all stirred up with a survey crew than to charge in before you know what's going on. Even if he's an asshole, he might lknow something you don't.

Learn from my mistakes....

jmho
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Good. If you want to retain favour with the farmer but control your land better, then you could simply block off the access that makes it worth idiot boy's time to cut across your yard and thereby keep him to the trail.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I realize that things get "grandfathered in" after time, which is why he should nip this in the bud now.

Either way, the kid wanting to drive over the lawn, and maybe "mow down" a couple of trees, because he thinks that would be more convenient for him, is total bullshit.

Get off my fucking lawn.

JC
Old 04-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #17
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

The law here says that if someone claims and uses a piece of land openly and notoriously for a period of 5 years, it's officially theirs. Don't let them screw you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_possession
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #18
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I realize that things get "grandfathered in" after time, which is why he should nip this in the bud now.

Either way, the kid wanting to drive over the lawn, and maybe "mow down" a couple of trees, because he thinks that would be more convenient for him, is total bullshit.

Get off my fucking lawn.

JC
And, the sooner you establish legally that it is your property, the better.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #19
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Each state, and even each county is different. Boulder, CO had a famous case of adverse-possession several years ago: http://www.dailycamera.com/ongoing-c...#axzz0mJcl9x00. The public outcry caused the laws to be changed. I would get a lawyer.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #20
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

It's probably already too late, what you need to do now is invade back. You let him use it for so long he will probably win in court. You option is to take it back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote