Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)
Default Teacher fired for drinking on FB

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/21586641/detail.html

Quote:
BARROW COUNTY, Ga. -- A former Barrow County teacher is suing the North Georgia school district, alleging she was forced to step down after photos and an expletive were shown on her Facebook profile.

Ashley Payne claimed the Barrow County school district violated state labor law because she was never told she was entitled to a hearing. Her attorney, Richard Storrs, said the 24-year-old former Apalachee High School teacher was "not made aware of her rights" and should be granted the hearing

She claimed her principal said because her profile page had of pictures of her with beer mugs and glasses of wine from when she went on vacation to Europe, she had to go.

“I visited the Guinness Brewery, I went to Italy and had wine. I went to the Temple Bar District of Dublin and drank some alcohol there like any normal adult would,” said Payne.

Payne and her friends took pictures at various places across Europe. A few pictures showed her with a glass of beer or wine.

“They’re not even of me drinking the drinks and I don’t look like I’m intoxicated in any way or doing anything provocative or inappropriate,” Payne said.

Payne, an English Teacher at Appalachee High, said she was called into the principal’s office where she was told that because of her pictures and an expletive used on one of her posts that she should immediately resign.

“The principal said that he’d talked to the superintendent so he represented that the decision had already been made and that the only way to avoid the suspension on my record would be to resign,” said Payne.

Payne’s Facebook page is private and she doesn’t allow students or strangers to become her friends on the social networking site. Several fellow teachers are included in her pictures including one who was with her on the European vacation.

But Payne is the only one out of a job.

“I did not think that any of this could jeopardize my job because I was just doing what adults do and have drinks on vacation and being responsible about it,” said Payne.

Barrow County school Superintendent Ron Saunders declined comment on the lawsuit because it is a personnel issue.

Payne resigned from her position Aug. 27. She had worked at the school for two years.
Pretty ironic because I know this town/county and it's slammed full of liquor stores and bars. Infact I believe the main city use to be called "Juggstown".