Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 10-20-2009, 01:23 AM   #11
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I agree. I don't care about admiring an engine, but I do care about maintaining it. I keep vehicles for a long time, a lot longer than BMW's "included" maintenance period. I'm not paying a dealer $300 in labor to remove, and later replace, a ton of crap around the engine before they even start working on the car.

As for the earlier question about why no one has done this before I can think of a few reasons. A warm engine is best, but once it gets warm a lot of effort goes in to keeping it from getting hot.

One thing that helps is airflow around the engine. Wrapping the engine in heat blankets kind of kills that option. Now you need a larger radiator (weight), more coolant (weight), and a larger cooling fan that needs to run more (more draw on the alternator). Lugging around that extra weight, plus the additional weight of the system, as well as heavier draw from the alternator all contribute to more fuel consumption.

That extra fuel consumption is not particularly significant, but it is always happening. The fuel savings of this system are not particularly significant either, it only occurs for the first 20 minutes, and its effect is diminishing over that time. This system may result in a net benefit, but it will be smaller than even the minuscule numbers claimed in the article. I would trade that benefit for slightly easier maintenance in a heartbeat.
The whole point of the blanket is to reduce toxic emisison output, which during a drive cycle, is mostly (80%) from the warmup period. The "added" fuel economy is actually pretty negligable, but you have to spin something if you want more coin, right?

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #12
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

This would reduce wear in the engine.

That's the greatest benefit I can see.

Less expansion and contraction of components is always good.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #13
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
translation: Oil changes will now require 3 hours of removing panels. Spark plug changes will require 3 days. Changing an accessory belt will require dismantling the car down.
Water pump change will require complete replacement of car
But when was the last time you actually did any of that yourself? Oil change can be had for $14.95, no reason to do it yourself. Spark plugs? once every 60K. Big deal. Waterpump? have you ever had a water pump go out? I never have. Serpentine Belt? Once every 90 K. Not often enough to be a big deal.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
But when was the last time you actually did any of that yourself? Oil change can be had for $14.95, no reason to do it yourself. Spark plugs? once every 60K. Big deal. Waterpump? have you ever had a water pump go out? I never have. Serpentine Belt? Once every 90 K. Not often enough to be a big deal.
The only time my truck has been at a dealer was when I bought it. The only time it has been to a shop of any kind has been to replace the tires. It is a 2004 with 90k miles. I do all my own maintenance.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:05 AM   #15
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
The only time my truck has been at a dealer was when I bought it. The only time it has been to a shop of any kind has been to replace the tires. It is a 2004 with 90k miles. I do all my own maintenance.
yep so do a lot of us.... I don't go to the dealer for anything.... It also helps that I've been turning wrenches since I was 7 yrs old in my dad's shop.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #16
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
I do all the maintenance on my daily driver and bike and most of the maintenance on the family car (I haven't picked up the manual for it yet)

Oil change for $14.95?
Not for synthetic...

What about my time? I can change the oil in any of my vehicles in less time than it takes to drive somewhere and have someone else do it.

What about coolant flush? Should I pay some jerkoff $100-$150...and sit and wait in the waiting room?

Same goes for belts.

Yes I have had water pumps go. I also have had cars where I replaced the water pump when swapping out the timing belt.

Now you can write me off as some odd-ball, since it is rare that people actually keep cars for the life of the vehicle. Even rarer that someone does actually know how to unlatch the hood or change a tire.

I understand many have a laundry list of reasons why they don't do anything but put gas in the car.

I simply do not subscribe to that mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #17
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
yep so do a lot of us.... I don't go to the dealer for anything.... It also helps that I've been turning wrenches since I was 7 yrs old in my dad's shop.
I do my own maintenance too except for oil changes on the cages. I can't do it myself for any cheaper. This year alone, I've installed a new starter, complete set of brake pads and rotors, and drive axles. Next is the springs and struts.

My point was is that they maintenance he is talking about is so infrequent or in the case of oil changes, not worth worrying about all the engine shrouds and "blankets" BMW is now installing.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #18
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
I agree. I don't care about admiring an engine, but I do care about maintaining it. I keep vehicles for a long time, a lot longer than BMW's "included" maintenance period. I'm not paying a dealer $300 in labor to remove, and later replace, a ton of crap around the engine before they even start working on the car.

As for the earlier question about why no one has done this before I can think of a few reasons. A warm engine is best, but once it gets warm a lot of effort goes in to keeping it from getting hot.

One thing that helps is airflow around the engine. Wrapping the engine in heat blankets kind of kills that option. Now you need a larger radiator (weight), more coolant (weight), and a larger cooling fan that needs to run more (more draw on the alternator). Lugging around that extra weight, plus the additional weight of the system, as well as heavier draw from the alternator all contribute to more fuel consumption.

That extra fuel consumption is not particularly significant, but it is always happening. The fuel savings of this system are not particularly significant either, it only occurs for the first 20 minutes, and its effect is diminishing over that time. This system may result in a net benefit, but it will be smaller than even the minuscule numbers claimed in the article. I would trade that benefit for slightly easier maintenance in a heartbeat.
I don't think they just seal it off. I believe they said that they have flaps that open and close based on whether the engine is running or not.

Sealing off the bay and actually controlling airflow through the engine bay should result in more efficient cooling vs traditional methods.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 10-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #19
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
I do my own maintenance too except for oil changes on the cages. I can't do it myself for any cheaper. This year alone, I've installed a new starter, complete set of brake pads and rotors, and drive axles. Next is the springs and struts.

My point was is that they maintenance he is talking about is so infrequent or in the case of oil changes, not worth worrying about all the engine shrouds and "blankets" BMW is now installing.
This is BMW we are talking about. Most owners have never cracked the hood.
Toss in the free maintenance and loaner cars, it becomes a non issue until that BMW goes out into the world second hand ownership.

Quote:
Old 10-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #20
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
This is BMW we are talking about. Most owners have never cracked the hood.
Toss in the free maintenance and loaner cars, it becomes a non issue until that BMW goes out into the world second hand ownership.
Even then, the stereotypical BMW owner wont do any of maintenance even if it's out of warranty.