Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

City provided recycle bin. Its green. Easy. Don't put in a handfull of items..otherwise.. all is fair.

Trash cans... or bags. No can larger than 32gal.

I wish we'd go to what some other cities use. These HUGE provided brown trash cans. I mean... you could put 2 bodies in them easily. Must be 70gal. The truck comes by, an arm comes out and picks up the can. The guy never even gets out of the truck.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
News paper goes in a shopping bag. But excess shopping bags go into one shopping bag and then into a blue bag.

Boxboard/cardboard goes into the compost. But, Corrugated cardboard is folded flat and bundled.

If I could fit the sheet of rules onto my scanner, I'd scan it..

And before somebody says, "it only takes a few minutes.." It took me over half hour to sort all of that shit and "break it down" into their respective little piles.

I'm tempted to stop recycling altogether..
Why not put it in the correct piles when you take it to where ever you keep it at your house?

We recycle the aluminum cans ( ourselves so we get the cash ) , trash goes in one can and the cardboard goes to the local church in their recycle bin.

Keep it seperated from the start and it's much easier
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
City provided recycle bin. Its green. Easy. Don't put in a handfull of items..otherwise.. all is fair.

Trash cans... or bags. No can larger than 32gal.

I wish we'd go to what some other cities use. These HUGE provided brown trash cans. I mean... you could put 2 bodies in them easily. Must be 70gal. The truck comes by, an arm comes out and picks up the can. The guy never even gets out of the truck.
Yea they have those cans at my apt complex but I don't bother... I've been to the dump for a job and watched the convicts go through the trash anyway. Like someone else said, what's the point?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
Why not put it in the correct piles when you take it to where ever you keep it at your house?

We recycle the aluminum cans ( ourselves so we get the cash ) , trash goes in one can and the cardboard goes to the local church in their recycle bin.

Keep it seperated from the start and it's much easier
I do..

But, I still have to take all the covers off of the bottles. I have to fold all of the boxes flat. I have to make sure nobody has thrown something into the wrong bag, because it will be rejected.

This is all stuff I do before it goes out, so I don't have to do it twice. I would still have to go through it all to make sure it was correct..

I'd like to add, I have two recycling bins in my house, one for paper and one for containers. I STILL have to go through and seperate the types of paper, and make sure I don't throw somethign that IS recyclable in a normal city ,and is not here, out..

Trust me, I'm not the only one frustrated. A lot of people think it's bullshit and ridiculous. We pay them to do a job, and we do 3/4 of it for them, and they drive around and pick it up if they feel like it.

Last edited by Tmall; 01-03-2010 at 10:46 AM..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #15
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

So you have the completely anal trash pick up service.

Our previous trash company did the bullshit recycle rules. First the letter stating how they were going green and all the rules. The next month was the letter with the 50% increase in rates for the mandatory ( for using them ) rules.

A few phone calls and we found a company that was cheaper ( before the increase ) and takes pretty much everything
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #16
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

The city is in charge of it, they just contract it out. I pay for it through property tax.

If I want to dump it myself, its 20 a ton, but they only allow you one trip.. So, 20 a truckload to dump it..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #17
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
The city is in charge of it, they just contract it out. I pay for it through property tax.

If I want to dump it myself, its 20 a ton, but they only allow you one trip.. So, 20 a truckload to dump it..
Where I live, if you feel like taking it yourself, it's free. AFAIK that is... I went to dump trash when I worked for a company here and I never saw money change hands or any paperwork get signed.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #18
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Where I live, if you feel like taking it yourself, it's free. AFAIK that is... I went to dump trash when I worked for a company here and I never saw money change hands or any paperwork get signed.
thats how it is whereI live too. well last time I was at teh dump anyhow.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #19
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
thats how it is whereI live too. well last time I was at teh dump anyhow.
It's one of the few good things about NC... Well that and how incredibly slutty most of the chicks are! I mean seriously!
Old 01-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #20
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Here and in Michigan, you can put all recyclables in the same bin. I think they have some sort of machine that sorts out the different types of materials. Your municipality must be too cheap to invest in the appropriate technology or labor.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote