Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #11
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
The rarity and absolute coolness is offset by maintenance requirements, fuel costs, and parts availability. It is amazing as fuck but (my conservative guess) $10k-$20k of operational costs per hour of flight would depress the market a bit. They have been renting them out in Russia for $20k+ per hour for a while.
Engines ran between 2-3 million each (I think).
Not sure on refurbished.

Yeah...without things like a tax base or loans from Russia, paying outta pocket can be a bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

How fast do you think until that thing gets take out by a US fighter because it flew into the wrong airspace
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #13
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I love it. Would prefer a Mig 25 tho. It will still outrun most interceptors.

Maybe we could talk those boys at the US Bonepile into a group buy package deal on F111s or F14s??

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #14
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
How fast do you think until that thing gets take out by a US fighter because it flew into the wrong airspace
Thats why you get the little thing-o-mobobby transmitters and a big ole number on the side.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 02-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #15
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I love it. Would prefer a Mig 25 tho. It will still outrun most interceptors.

Maybe we could talk those boys at the US Bonepile into a group buy package deal on F111s or F14s??
Mig-25 isn't exactly a fun thing to fly. as soon as you get the heavy pig that it is up in the air, vacuum tubes glowing away...you are just about out of gas and I think a gulf stream is bit more fun to fly. One trick pony where the trick involves doing something really cool that leads to the engines being kaputz.
Oh yeah...the view out of it sucks so the only thing you get to see is the utterly retarded Soviet ergos and instrumentation.

I always liked the F111 despite some shitty design decisions. Maintenance nightmare, wiring nightmare ...nightmare nightmare nightmare. When Australia finally withdraws it from service maybe you should give a call. By the way, when you get it up in the air the sound you'd hear would be the gazillion fatigue cracks.

F-14 - US government has seen to it that all F-14s and parts are turned into toasters because they don't want Iran getting hold of spares.

Quote:

Last edited by pauldun170; 02-27-2010 at 05:54 PM..
Old 02-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #16
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
not at all. most likely whomever grabs it will do "mock" dogfights with the local guard. there was a group bringing in l29s, 39s, 17s and 21s that used to play on occasion with the f16 wing in ac. according to them anyway though i suppose seeing a 39 screaming down the beach at wildwood about 14 years ago might corroborate that story
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #17
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
not at all. most likely whomever grabs it will do "mock" dogfights with the local guard. there was a group bringing in l29s, 39s, 17s and 21s that used to play on occasion with the f16 wing in ac. according to them anyway though i suppose seeing a 39 screaming down the beach at wildwood about 14 years ago might corroborate that story
I've seen a L-39 fly out of our local airport out in Farmingdale (the old fairchild Republic place).
Thats supposed to be a fun little plane. Easy to fly and relatively cheap and easy to keep running

Quote:
Old 02-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #18
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I've seen a L-39 fly out of our local airport out in Farmingdale (the old fairchild Republic place).
Thats supposed to be a fun little plane. Easy to fly and relatively cheap and easy to keep running
hell yeah, any of those trainer/ light attack birds would be a blast. Always liked the fouga magister myself, been forever since ive seen one of those fly though
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #19
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Now that's how you take out the IRS. Not some POS Cesna.

I have one on order. Feel free to come over and bask in my awesomeness.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #20
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I would love to fly them all but, if some genie granted my pilots wish tonite. I would have a shiny new A10 sitting in the drive way. I want to be down and dirty, using that gatling gun to hurt some bad guys...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote