Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
I though the church and state were supposed to be separate. Why would this be relevant?
With all the Christian lobbies I guess the press is trying to make sure that there is something of religious interest in articles put out.
It matter to some what sect others belong to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
She has NO experience as a judge!!!! WTF? Obama is a fucking idiot. Yeah she has a law degree and she was a Dean at Harvard law but does that qualify her to be a judge? Fuck no.
Agreed!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #13
goof2
AMA Supersport

The same arguments for and against were made about Harriet Miers. People can nitpick between the resumes of Miers and Kagan but the primary complaint about both is the fact that neither had been a judge before their nominations. The only difference will be the people arguing for and against each nominee have switched sides.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
The same arguments for and against were made about Harriet Miers. People can nitpick between the resumes of Miers and Kagan but the primary complaint about both is the fact that neither had been a judge before their nominations. The only difference will be the people arguing for and against each nominee have switched sides.
The complaint with Miers, which was made by both sides of the aisle was not only her lack of experience as both Judge and litigator, it was a general dissatisfaction with her grasp of the law. Kagan is at the very least respected in legal circles and has at least been placed into the constitutional law arena having argued cases before the Supreme Court.

Comparing Miers to Kagan is a bullshit ploy.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 05-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
The complaint with Miers, which was made by both sides of the aisle was not only her lack of experience as both Judge and litigator, it was a general dissatisfaction with her grasp of the law. Kagan is at the very least respected in legal circles and has at least been placed into the constitutional law arena having argued cases before the Supreme Court.

Comparing Miers to Kagan is a bullshit ploy.
Maybe, but those issues didn't arise until later in the process. I'll be curious to see how Kagan does with the Judiciary Committee. I only hope it is as bipartisan as Miers' dealings with them were.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #16
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Maybe, but those issues didn't arise until later in the process. I'll be curious to see how Kagan does with the Judiciary Committee. I only hope it is as bipartisan as Miers' dealings with them were.
I only hope that they do their job in vetting her as a candidate. I don't want them to treat anyone like they did "the last time" or some stupid revenge or "fuck you" position.

I haven't looked into Kagans record yet and I'm certainly not interested in tit for tat BS from anyone, meaning I will not be wasting time with the media nor politicians tossing bullshit damnation or praise on her.

I know one item they will probably get on her about is her thing with Military recruiters at Harvard. Something about the Military's discriminatory policies against gays leading to her prohibiting them from setting up shop on campus.

Quote:
Old 05-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #17
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I only hope that they do their job in vetting her as a candidate. I don't want them to treat anyone like they did "the last time" or some stupid revenge or "fuck you" position.

I haven't looked into Kagans record yet and I'm certainly not interested in tit for tat BS from anyone, meaning I will not be wasting time with the media nor politicians tossing bullshit damnation or praise on her.

I know one item they will probably get on her about is her thing with Military recruiters at Harvard. Something about the Military's discriminatory policies against gays leading to her prohibiting them from setting up shop on campus.
I didn't mean to imply I wanted anything like that either. I thought the Judiciary Committee dealt with Miers fairly and thoroughly. They were the ones who brought her issues to the forefront and the criticisms came from both Democrats and Republicans.

Her issue with the recruiters is the main thing I have heard so far. I don't know how many other "record" issues there will be. Unless Kagan was giving speeches all the time like Sotomayor there is probably a smaller record to examine than is typical.