Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
A special for leather rental would help too. A lot of people bitch about leathers being expensive. Throw a rental suit at 'em and they have nothing to bitch about! Next thing you know, they're loving the track. Now they want leathers of their own...and you just so happen to sell leathers.
Nice idea: just talked to Roger Lyle...33% discount on leather rentals for our group....$50.00 all day......................

And yes, we sell Taichi......

DLIT gets a gold star....
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

We'll be at summit point august 27th-29th.
The track day-race school is on the 27th with Marrc and CCS

http://www.marrc.org/html_docs/calendar.html

http://www.ccsracing.us/schedules/20...20schedule.pdf

BE THERE!

Last edited by tallywacker; 07-15-2010 at 01:02 PM..
tallywacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

I agree on the option for suit rental if needed. I'd make them pay but many first timer's don't want to shell out several hundred dollars for a suit to 'try' a track day. A rental option lets them do this easily and not all tracks have this available at the track.

The rest sounds great and not just for first timer's....that's a good deal for anyone.
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #14
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

$50 for a suit for eight or so sessions is still pricey. Especially on top of the track day itself. Our track days out here are closer to $200. That, plus track prep stuff (gas, tires, maybe a trailer rental, food, etc...) and 50 more dollars is a turn-off. $30-$35 is better. I could rent a car for a day for less than $50.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #15
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I would totally sign up if it was closer. I keep wanting to get to the track but it just hasn't happened yet. Some day!

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #16
shmike
Follower

Quote:
$50 for a suit for eight or so sessions is still pricey. Especially on top of the track day itself. Our track days out here are closer to $200. That, plus track prep stuff (gas, tires, maybe a trailer rental, food, etc...) and 50 more dollars is a turn-off. $30-$35 is better. I could rent a car for a day for less than $50.
Could you rent a race car for less than $50?

If you think $50 is expensive, check out some other prices.

Ours are $75/day.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Could you rent a race car for less than $50?

If you think $50 is expensive, check out some other prices.

Ours are $75/day.
Ya, guess I shoulda compared first. I'm just thinking as if I'm in need of some leathers to rent and all the other costs a track day consists of.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #18
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Ya, guess I shoulda compared first. I'm just thinking as if I'm in need of some leathers to rent and all the other costs a track day consists of.
I hear ya.

I think with the package he is talking about putting together, they may be able to get someone to the track with leathers for cheaper than that person could do it by themselves.

Less hassle too!
Old 07-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #19
DLIT
Clit Commander

I'm quoting my buddy Zortness. He's an expert-level racer now.

"Many people have asked me why I think that everyone who rides should do track days. Not everyone has the intention of riding fast, or aspirations of racing, but there are huge benefits to practicing on the race track. Here's some short explanations.

Increasing your Margin of Error: This is pretty easy to explain. The faster you are capable of completing a task, such as making a turn, the more margin for error you will have while doing it at a slower pace. Imagine a spirited ride through some new twisties, when you suddenly come up on a sharper corner than you were expecting. Because you are only riding at 60% of your ability, you simply focus and lean the bike over to make the turn, using maybe 80% of your abilities.

Avoiding Panic: This builds on increasing your margin of error. The more margin you have, the less likely you are to panic. Panicking and making sudden movements can lead to loss of stability with the bike and ultimately a bad wreck.

Error Recovery: Everyone makes mistakes, even Valentino Rossi. Practicing on a track helps you to catch mistakes earlier and more quickly, giving you more time and more practice at correcting them. Many times I will see people in the lower levels on the track panic, stand up their bikes, and run off into the dirt in a turn that they could have easily made at the speed they were going, but their confidence and lack of experience caused them to make that decision. By practicing error recovery and learning more about your abilities and your bike's abilities, you can avoid potentially dangerous runoffs on in street situations, because there may just be oncoming traffic in your way next time.

Your Internal Tiltmeter: Everyone has an internal tilt-meter that tells them when the bike is leaned over too far. The problem is, your tilt-meter may tell you that the bike is incapable of more, when in reality is has much more in reserve. Your tilt-meter naturally expands as you learn more about your bike on the track. By expanding your tilt-meter, you gain confidence, and increase your margin for error.

Riding Style: Good riding style is imperative to safe riding. By learning the correct body position from instructors or more experienced riders, you will feel more comfortable on your bike, gain endurance, and gain confidence. Body position and style are not something that you can perfect overnight, many professional racers continually adapt and adjust their styles throughout their entire careers. The better your riding style becomes, the more comfortable you will feel on your bike. The more comfortable you feel, the less you will fight the bike's controls, causing a smoother, more enjoyable, and ultimately safer ride.

Learning Your Bike: Modern sportbikes are tremendous pieces of technology capable of amazing feats. Modern engines, brakes, and tires are far better than most riders will ever be capable of using completely. As you become more comfortable on your bike, you will better learn the potential of your bike and it's individual characteristics.

Focusing: It can often be difficult to relax and focus while riding on the street. There are distractions and dangers every step of the way. This prevents many riders from taking the time to learn good riding habits, and instead they pick up bad ones. The track is a safe environment, free of cars and other dangerous obstacles that allows the rider to focus on riding and improving skills.

The Usual Excuses: The two excuses that I hear the most are both related to money.

I don't have the gear or The gear costs too much. Yes, buying the gear is expensive, but this is, for the most part, a non-recurring cost. Once you have it, you have it. Honestly, I don't understand this one though. Every rider will crash at some point, that's just statistics. How much is your skin worth? I do not feel safe riding without full equipment. In my opinion, if you could not afford the gear, you should not have purchased the bike, and I wish dealerships would push the gear more. In Europe, riders are required to wear full leathers at all times, not necessarily the best solution, but it's a solution.

Track days are too expensive. It is true, track days are expensive, and the price keeps going up. I argue that the skills you will learn in one track day could save your life on the streets. Of the reasons mentioned above, at least one should register with you if you've ridden for any length of time."

Old 07-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #20
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

For Sunday, August 8
the Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Pt WV

Our track day price will be $215.00
We're going to do the whole ball of wax (except for suit rental, that'll be $50)
1 year membership fee (goes to MCXMNT)
8 hr track day
Track Prep Nite (with beer and 'Za..)
Van Transport to and from Summit
Bike Transport to and from Summit
Beverage and "Hang Out" tent.
Lunch and Beverages
Fizzy Adult Beverages (also known as beer) for the trip home..........

Tell me it gets any better than that..........

So, unless you crash.........that's ALL you are going to spend...........

Last edited by OTB; 07-15-2010 at 01:43 PM..
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote