Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
goof2
AMA Supersport

I got a Smith & Wesson Sigma in .40 when the deal was too good to pass up (under $350 after tax/background/transfer/etc. plus a mail in rebate for $50 and two more high cap mags). The trigger as delivered was heavy as hell, I've heard its around 10 lbs., and it was inconsistent. If I'm remembering correctly it had two springs for the trigger mechanism. I removed one and replaced the other with a lighter spring, I think for a Glock but I'm not sure, and polished the hell out of the mechanism. The trigger is lighter but still somewhat inconsistent, and it is still crap compared to the trigger on my Springfield 1911.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Bud...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #13
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I got a Smith & Wesson Sigma in .40 when the deal was too good to pass up (under $350 after tax/background/transfer/etc. plus a mail in rebate for $50 and two more high cap mags). The trigger as delivered was heavy as hell, I've heard its around 10 lbs., and it was inconsistent. If I'm remembering correctly it had two springs for the trigger mechanism. I removed one and replaced the other with a lighter spring, I think for a Glock but I'm not sure, and polished the hell out of the mechanism. The trigger is lighter but still somewhat inconsistent, and it is still crap compared to the trigger on my Springfield 1911.
I got the same deal with my M&P... I got my $50 and a letter apologizing that they had ran out of mags temporarily... then they sent me an extra one for free... Three mags plus $50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Bud...
Weis?
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
To carry... and her tiny hands... what about:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/54585
I was just looking at that as a carry weapon for myself, actually. More expensive ammunition, though. I'm trying to stick to 9mm (cue Amorok and fnfalman in 3... 2... 1...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
I've yet to buy my wife a handgun...
Speaking of guns I've yet to buy, I'm still lusting after one of these:

And they keep getting more and more expensive the longer I wait.

I'd like a nickle-plated Cheetah, too, but again: expensive ammo.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I have a SW9VE. Shoots just fine. Trigger is on the hard side but that depends on the users finger strength. Im not a know it gun nut so I dont know what to hate in a gun. I pull the trigger and it goes bang and im happy. Nothing to the SW. Easy to take apart and clean. I like the feel of the handle. Fits my hand nicely. Clips eject nicely.

I do wish the sights were smaller. At 10ft, lining up the 3 dots covers up a lot of the target.

I believe the sw9 and sw40 are same dimensions so if you want to carry then I say go with the 40. If not then the 9.

Last edited by Rangerscott; 01-31-2011 at 03:46 PM..
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #16
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Weis?
ER!

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #17
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

I own both the sw9ve and the Taurus in 9mm.
the smith I have had for years. it has never failed me and I've shot tons of rounds through it. trigger pull is very heavy. if you want to shoot slow and accurate forget it. if you want to pull up and shoot it is great. many gun shops won't touch it to change the trigger because of other issues.

the Taurus has already been sent back for repairs. they were good about repairing it no questions asked. we haven't taken it back out shooting to see if it is better. you can feel a difference in the slide action already though. apparently it had a couple broken parts from manuf according to them.

if my life depended on one of them i would take the smith every time. the taurus' trigger is not much better then the smith. a little, but not day and night type of better.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #18
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
I agree, but it all depends on the gun too. I shot a little Glock with the extended clip and I never felt in control. I shot an XD with similar size and setup and I LOVED it.
I'll agree with this too. My point is that sometimes smaller isn't always better for smaller hands, that's all. And then we could get into the debate about what is better for her, etc. In the end, as long as something is there for her to use is what is important.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #19
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I held a couple mini 380's at the last gun show and even with my small hands they felt too small. There's no girth to the handle. I want to grab hold to the gun when I need it and not fumble around with it.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #20
Twobanger
Canyon Carver

.380 I'd look at the S&W Bodyguard. GT Distributers sells them for 289.

9mm HK P30. They come with s,m,l side panels and backstraps so you can fit the gun to your hands.

If you don't want to spend HK money and still get a gun you can fit to your hand, a S&W M&P from a dealership that carries law enforcement versions (Gtdist.com and Quanticotactical.com) will come with 3 magazines, and are often less expensive than regular gun stores.

Grtactical.com for built guns.

I have at least 3000 rounds through my M&P without any sort of failure.
Twobanger is offline   Reply With Quote