Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #11
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Not anymore man. I think Obeezy passed something that they cannot decline you for a credit card anymore based on credit rating. Now... you may have a very low credit limit to start out. And a deposit on a CC???

DON'T EVER GO THROUGH CAPITAL ONE. Just eliminate that from any considerations right now. Shady shady company.

Discover Card. /End of thread

Discover isn't accepted as much around here. Probably because they're one of the highest that charge companies to use them.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #12
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
whoever told you you NEED a cc is full of shit. My bank will cover any fraudulent charges on my debit card. I haven't had a credit card in over 12 years now. I don't NEED one. Haven't needed one in that period of time. Won't ever get one again. My debit card with MC logo is all I ever need.

I know I don't need one (I'm 25 and still dont have one) but it is a lot easier the get your money back. All it takes is a phone call. If your bank doesnt catch it fast enough you have to go in sign papers and have to have another card mailed to you. I'm still waiting on mine.

It's not just about fraud. It's just being able to get your money back faster and easier. Plus when you use a debt card online, it's a gateway straight to your checking account.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #13
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
I have two credit cards. A Capital One and an AT&T card. I haven't had any problems with Capital One. I used to have a really good rate on it, but it went up about a year ago. I don't put anything on it anymore, but I still have it open. Hasn't caused me any headaches. The rate on my AT&T card goes up and down. It's not too bad right now and I had to put a couple medical bills on there and my netflix runs through it. No real problems with it either, except for the rate that jumps around.
I had two instances with them. They charged me a late fee, when I had payed 2 days before the payment was due. They remove the late charge after I sent the email. The second sent me over the fucking edge. I lost my card at some point in the summer. I couldnt remember my log in so I called up and payed the balance off over the phone. I get a card mailed to me in about 2 weeks, so of course no transactions. A month and a half later I get a letter saying "By the way, your balance is past due by 2 months." What the fuck, what balance, and no emails sent in 2 months??? So I look online. Somehow, the company had charged me 13 cents interest on a $0 balance. So I called up to bitch, and got fucking mohammed in india. I asked how interest was charged into the next month on a 0 balance. So he started explaining of which I couldnt fucking understand. I said I want this resolved, these charges need removed now.

Mohammed replies "Derp, derp... we can go ahead and make the payment off of your bank account over the phone. I say, "No I want the charges removed, there should have been no interest in the first place, Im not paying over $30 in late fees." Mohammed replies "Derp, derp... well sir we cant do that. I said "Bullshit, I know you can because you've done it before to me. I said if you make me pay these charges I am cutting up my card right now. So he told me that he still couldnt, so i told him that I was done with their business for good. I should have sent an email to customer service like last time, but i payed them their last $30, cut the card up, and will never go back.

I have heard countless friends, family, and coworkers get screwed by Capital One. Discover was my grandparents, parents, uncles, and my first card. No one has ever had a problem with them, and have acually been saved from fraud with my parents and myself.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #14
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

If you were to carry a balance and are looking for low min payments you may also want to consider what percentage of the balance they want you to pay every month. Typically Discover wants you to pay 3%, Chase- 2% and BOA and Cap1 - 1%. It may not matter much if you don't plan on just paying the minimum, but its a nice option to have when you need it.

That being said, I use Chase for my day to day swipings. I use their cashbacks and rewards. I am sure there are better cards out there, but I don't really care to look.

I don't use my BOA card out of principle since they cut my credit line for no apparent good reason, but up until this year, they have been pretty good.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #15
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Pork chop WTF is Derp derp??
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #16
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Discover isn't accepted as much around here. Probably because they're one of the highest that charge companies to use them.
Should be. Its accepted almost everywhere now. I've only ever had 1 restarant not take it, and that was in Chicago. Maybe its a north thing???
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #17
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Pork chop WTF is Derp derp??
Im using bad stereotypes because im mad....

Its that funny noise that indians make when they say "uh" or "um"
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #18
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Been told that it's best to pay off the whole months payment instead of carrying it on so I'll just charge a certain amount the whole month so I know I'll be able to pay the whole card off. No since in paying interest.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #19
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Ugh, not this again. Go read t-rock's thread in cage hell about which he should buy. Forget credit cards, period. Having a credit card is even worse than having a car loan. Sure, you'll pay the card off every month. But, one month, you'll end up spending more than you can afford to pay off. Why, because you NEED this one particular item. Then you get caught back up, or you take away savings to pay off the card. Whatever the case is, you get caught in a cycle of spending on credit. Stay away from credit cards and other debt. Get in good habits while your young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
I know I don't need one (I'm 25 and still dont have one) but it is a lot easier the get your money back. All it takes is a phone call. If your bank doesnt catch it fast enough you have to go in sign papers and have to have another card mailed to you. I'm still waiting on mine.

It's not just about fraud. It's just being able to get your money back faster and easier. Plus when you use a debt card online, it's a gateway straight to your checking account.
Well, you sort of know that you don't need one. Want to avoid someone taking all of your money out of your checking account, but still want to buy something online? Then open a second checking account and get a debit card for it. Keep the lowest possible balance you can keep in the account in order to avoid minimum balance fees (hopefully you already use an account without any fees). When you want to buy something online, transfer money from your regular checking account into the other one. Then use the debit card to make your purchase online. With a debit card, thieves can't take what you don't have in the account. The card will simply get declined. There, now you truly don't need a credit card.

Last edited by Captain Morgan; 02-07-2011 at 11:41 PM..
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #20
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Ugh, not this again. Go read t-rock's thread in cage hell about which he should buy. Forget credit cards, period. Having a credit card is even worse than having a car loan. Sure, you'll pay the card off every month. But, one month, you'll end up spending more than you can afford to pay off. Why, because you NEED this one particular item. Then you get caught back up, or you take away savings to pay off the card. Whatever the case is, you get caught in a cycle of spending on credit. Stay away from credit cards and other debt. Get in good habits while your young.

Well, you sort of know that you don't need one. Want to avoid someone taking all of your money out of your checking account, but still want to buy something online? Then open a second checking account and get a debit card for it. Keep the lowest possible balance you can keep in the account in order to avoid minimum balance fees (hopefully you already use an account without any fees). When you want to buy something online, transfer money from your regular checking account into the other one. Then use the debit card to make your purchase online. With a debit card, thieves can't take what you don't have in the account. The card will simply get declined. There, now you truly don't need a credit card.

I already do that. Checking accounts dont build credit and I'm not going to take out a loan when another one is done. I don't have a mortgage so I need something to keep my credit score updated.