Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by defector View Post
Schools lock all the doors nowadays? Is this pretty standard?
My kid's school has security at all entrances, but to my knowledge the doors aren't locked.
The doors are only locked so they can't be opened from outside. Someone inside can still open them though. School designers worry about having enough exits in case of a fire so they put doors all over the place. The school administrators worry about having a ton of unmonitored doors all over the place allowing people to come and go as they please so they lock the doors to entry. I still remember a few of the more "problematic" doors when I was in school being chained shut.

I don't see the big deal about this. It doesn't sound like the school made any secret of this rule. The kid, even though he apparently had noble intentions, broke the rule and received the specified punishment. I doubt a (justified) one day suspension in middle school will keep this A student out of the Ivy League. I just hope the woman he let in was also informed of the result of her decision to not follow the policy.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
The place I used to work would hire "decoys" to try to convince people to let them in so Human Resources could fire those people. The decoys were usually nicely dressed and attractive women who had a story about forgetting their badge, and people would do something nice, let them in, and then get fired for it.
What line of work was this? Unless it was a defense contractor, I can't see any private enterprise being worth that kind of security.

Sounds like a make-work project by HR dipshits with nothing better to do than interfere with the lives of those who pay their salary.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
What line of work was this? Unless it was a defense contractor, I can't see any private enterprise being worth that kind of security.

Sounds like a make-work project by HR dipshits with nothing better to do than interfere with the lives of those who pay their salary.
I can see this making sense at any place where theft is, or could be, an issue.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I don't see the big deal about this. It doesn't sound like the school made any secret of this rule. The kid, even though he apparently had noble intentions, broke the rule and received the specified punishment. I doubt a (justified) one day suspension in middle school will keep this A student out of the Ivy League. I just hope the woman he let in was also informed of the result of her decision to not follow the policy.
Sounds about right to me. Learning experience.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #15
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I can see this making sense at any place where theft is, or could be, an issue.
Even including firing people for it?

As for theft, you could (correctly) make the argument that theft is a risk at EVERY workplace. But some industries justify severe measures more than others. Defense contractor yes. Dippy little mortgage or insurance company no.

Maybe they should also require that laptops be screen-locked after a mere 10 seconds of inactivity, based on the remote possibility that someone might read or steal your data during those 10 seconds (more like 2-3 seconds since the thief would have to wait 7-8 seconds for the owner to walk away)

Last edited by Homeslice; 03-03-2011 at 12:51 PM..
Old 03-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #16
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:

Auto finance. And it didn't have anything to do with security or the safety of employees. If they cared about that they wouldn't have made the entry wall out of BREAKABLE GLASS. No, this was simply an excuse to lay people off without paying unemployment once the economy started tanking and they needed to thin the herd.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:

As for theft, you could (correctly) make the argument that theft is a risk at EVERY workplace. But some industries justify severe measures more than others. Defense contractor yes. Dippy little mortgage or insurance company no.

Maybe they should also require that laptops be screen-locked after a mere 10 seconds of inactivity, based on the remote possibility that someone might read or steal your data during those 10 seconds (more like 2-3 seconds since the thief would have to wait 7-8 seconds for the owner to walk away)
Sure, why not? If an employer is willing to trade the loss of productivity that would naturally result from a policy like that for the dubious additional security where is the problem? Either way having uncontrolled random people walking around their facility can be a bad idea for a number of reasons. I already mentioned theft, but there can be liability issues as well. I fail to see how setting a simple policy to prevent that is unreasonable.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #18
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:

If you leave your computer unlocked when you leave your desk where I am at, you can technically get in a lot of trouble for it. It's rarely enforced.

If you leave doors open, you will be talking to guys carrying assault rifles.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
Homeslice
Elitist

Yeah but don't you work at a nuke plant?

That's a lot different than some generic business.

In most cases I think security policies are dreamed up to help IT & HR people justify their jobs.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #20
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
If you leave your computer unlocked when you leave your desk where I am at, you can technically get in a lot of trouble for it. It's rarely enforced.
My former employer fired people for that too, and for leaving paperwork on their desk when they got up to go to the bathroom. It didn't even have to be confidential type information.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote