Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 12-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #11
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

I rode two-stroke street bikes for 8 years before I got my first four-stroke. I remember the first time I came down Lookout Mountain with my GS1000. Engine braking. Wow. But going the other way, from a four-stroke to a two-stroke, would be eye-opening when you close the throttle and expect the engine to slow you down.

And by the way, those Suzuki GT's were not peaky at all. A Suzuki GT750 with a Gixxer front end, clubman bars, and Bassani expansion chambers would look and sound so cool.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post

And by the way, those Suzuki GT's were not peaky at all. A Suzuki GT750 with a Gixxer front end, clubman bars, and Bassani expansion chambers would look and sound so cool.
fuckin build it.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #13
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

WOW- H1, No Worries, thanks for all the info! I just emailed dad the links. I'll let you know when he signs up. We were running errands today and looked a few places for a Haynes or Clymers manual- couldn't find one, but I'll check a few dealers tomorrow.

The guy he's getting it from doesn't seem to know much about it. Good guy, but it sounds like he got some misinformation. He says he cleaned/rebuilt the carbs, and that it was run on the street not too long ago. Problem is, he said it's a four-stroke, and it sounds like the carbs are all out of whack, and the petcock may leak. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the thing firsthand yet. Apparently, the title only says it's a 1975 Kawasaki 500. I've told dad the first thing we need to do is replace the tubes, tires, and brake lines, and rebuild/synch the carbs.

I'm looking forward to riding this thing. It'll mostly be used as a commuter, so that 78mpg sounds great, and the 60hp and 42ft-lbs sounds frightening with skinny tires and old components.

Last edited by Phenix_Rider; 12-07-2008 at 09:44 PM..
Phenix_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:54 PM   #14
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
He speaks the truth. Highbars are for show but not for safe riding
"High bars" to me are like the stockers on my 650R. It probably has the stock bars on it still. I'm sure I'd go to superbike bars or clipons, but it's dad's bike, so whatever he's comfortable with. As long as he's safe, fine with me.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:44 PM   #15
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

I hate high handlebars. lower ones look and feel much better.

On a side note, I have a friend selling a complete GT750triple motor and some misc parts for one here local to me if anyone is interested in it. I'll even crate it and handle the shipping if you're wanting it enough.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 AM   #16
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

if its anything like my kz, you'll probably hate clip ons, but they look sweet. same with the clubman bars.

superbike bars are usually the most comfy, for old dudes and young ones alike from what ive seen-i liked em
Old 12-08-2008, 02:08 AM   #17
BobTheBiker

My friend's dad actually has clipons on his 75 RD350, they change the riding position a fair bit over the stock bars. superbike bars are pretty much perfect IMO. My buddy, whose dad has the 75 RD, has a 73 RD 250 of his own, with superbike bars on it that are pretty nice. you can change the riding position by where your ass is on the seat.

on a side note, 2 stroke bikes are SHOCKINGLY light things compared to sportbikes. I rode the 73 RD 250, and kinda forgot there was a bike under me except for the moving and holding a clutch in thing. I think thats a great thing about simpler bikes, they tend to be light.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #18
was92v
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
on a side note, 2 stroke bikes are SHOCKINGLY light things compared to sportbikes. I rode the 73 RD 250, and kinda forgot there was a bike under me except for the moving and holding a clutch in thing. I think thats a great thing about simpler bikes, they tend to be light.
Yeah! What he said...
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #19
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
From the links, looks like the H1 weighs a bit more than my 650R.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #20
BobTheBiker

Good point here, the H1 is a triple, and has a fairly large amount of running gear on it, making it heavier. the RD I rode is literally bare essentials, no fender on the front, minimalist gauges(tach only) and its RETARDEDLY light. something like 250 pounds or so at most, cause me and my buddy can pick it up from each end by ourselves and carry it.