Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #251
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Not often. I'm not saying that I won't drink it at all but I lean toward liquor more.
Same here..
I rarely drink beer.
Damn I only drink alcohol maybe once a month...if that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #252
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
That's exactly the sort of thing that irks me, and I mentioned it earlier in the thread. They call it a "gratuity"? Well I suppose that no one bothered to check Websters on that.

Main Entry: gra·tu·ity
Pronunciation: \grə-ˈtü-ə-tē, -ˈtyü-\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural gra·tu·ities
Date: 1540

: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially : tip
Yep, I agree with you. It's bullshit.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #253
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
So what they are saying is you should ask for two tables side by side. That is fucked up. For 6 people I think they would make more in tips in most cases. But giving poor service and then demanding a tip is stupid. And charging them for it is stupid. Lets get the fact that our restaurant has shitty service by charging someone and having it printed in the paper.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #254
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

Here wait staff makes at least minimum wage, not like some places. I was appauled when I was in TX and heard they paid waiters/waitresses less than that. So I dont feel too guilty not giving a large tip for shitty service. Get off your phone, stop chatting with your buddies and fill my damned coffee cup! Service when I first moved back to Alberta SUCKED, but now that jobs are not quite so plentyful its improving. ( maybe my standards have lowered?)
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #255
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

The couple getting arrested is complete bullshit. I've been with a group of people and the rest. tried to add gratuity in. We fought it cause the service was shitty. I don't see how the hell they can require you to pay it. And if I go somewhere that does that, I'll usually write on the receipt that I would have given the waitress a better tip, but refuse to do so since it was automatically added.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #256
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Fact of the matter is that they would probably most definately make more than 18% in tip if they didn't automatically add it, provided the service was where it should be.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:46 PM   #257
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

It's your responsibility to find out the restaurant's policy. Ignorance of those policies is no excuse. It's written right there on the menu or at the front counter. "An 18% gratuity is automatically added to parties of X or more people." You don't like that policy, you don't have to eat there.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #258
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

But! Just because they put it on a sign or a menu, doesn't mean you consent to it. There is no implied written or verbal contract stating that I have to follow the policy of the restaurant.

They can't force anything on you, you don't work for them.

As for every single one of you who say something to the effect of, "you should know! If you can't afford to tip don't go eat!" to you I say, get fucked. If you didn't like waiting tables, then you could have done something else for minimun wage. Nobody forced you to work there, just like nobody forces anybody to eat there.

In your capitalistic society, the free market decides. And if I'm not tipping you, I've decided that you didn't deserve it. And there's not a g'damn thing you or the restaurant can or will do about it.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:24 AM   #259
Homeslice
Elitist

Well that didn't seem to work in this case did it? They got arrested.

Had they only been a party of 5, they wouldn't have to pay an automatic gratuity. But they weren't.

Now, will the charge be held up in court? Doubt it.

Have any of you guys waited tables? One of the hardest jobs of my life, actually. You ever get the large table that gips you because 2-3 of the people in the party think they won't be noticed if they don't tip? Classic "I can hide if I'm in a group" mentality. That's what those rules are designed to protect against.

If you don't want to pay the automatic gratuity, why not speak with the manager? Why not tell him exactly what happened, or do you not have the balls? In the vast majority of cases they will do something for you.......Probably even comp your next meal. You'll never know unless you try.

Last edited by Homeslice; 11-20-2009 at 07:27 AM..
Old 11-20-2009, 07:32 AM   #260
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
But! Just because they put it on a sign or a menu, doesn't mean you consent to it. There is no implied written or verbal contract stating that I have to follow the policy of the restaurant.
Also, where are you getting this information? That's kind of like saying I don't have to wear a shirt even though the store has a sign saying shirts are required.

Like I said, I have no idea whether this will hold up in court. They'll probably dismiss it simply because it's insignificant.......But that doesn't prove that the restaurant wasn't justified.