Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #261
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
It's your responsibility to find out the restaurant's policy. Ignorance of those policies is no excuse. It's written right there on the menu or at the front counter. "An 18% gratuity is automatically added to parties of X or more people." You don't like that policy, you don't have to eat there.
Yes. Yes it is. The problem is that they refer to it as a 'gratuity', not a 'surcharge.'

cf. the definition for gratuity, above.

Quote:
Well that didn't seem to work in this case did it? They got arrested.

Had they only been a party of 5, they wouldn't have to pay an automatic gratuity. But they weren't.

Now, will the charge be held up in court? Doubt it.

Have any of you guys waited tables? One of the hardest jobs of my life, actually. You ever get the large table that gips you because 2-3 of the people in the party think they won't be noticed if they don't tip? Classic "I can hide if I'm in a group" mentality. That's what those rules are designed to protect against.

If you don't want to pay the automatic gratuity, why not speak with the manager? Why not tell him exactly what happened, or do you not have the balls? In the vast majority of cases they will do something for you.......Probably even comp your next meal. You'll never know unless you try.
I find your post derogatory toward Gypsies.

Simple: Ask for separate cheques, like I do. Then the server knows who is ripping him off.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 11-20-2009 at 08:01 AM..
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #262
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Also, where are you getting this information? That's kind of like saying I don't have to wear a shirt even though the store has a sign saying shirts are required.

Like I said, I have no idea whether this will hold up in court. They'll probably dismiss it simply because it's insignificant.......But that doesn't prove that the restaurant wasn't justified.
Yea I have to agree with you to an extent... that would be like eating at Outback and afterwards deciding that the steak isn't worth $14.99 so you've decided to only pay $9.99... The cost to play is right on the menu, if you don't like it, you address your grievances BEFORE you get served, not after.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #263
Rider
Moto GP Star

Reparations... that's why they don't tip.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #264
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
But! Just because they put it on a sign or a menu, doesn't mean you consent to it. There is no implied written or verbal contract stating that I have to follow the policy of the restaurant.
That is like saying you don't want to pay for the price on the menu, because you did not agree to it before hand.
You did agree in both instances.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #265
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
That is like saying you don't want to pay for the price on the menu, because you did not agree to it before hand.
You did agree in both instances.
That's because he's wrong. Reading that and then continuing on IS an implied contract. Thing is that it's an implied contract to have a gratuity automatically added to the bill at the end of the night and, by definition, a gratuity is a voluntary thing. They can put it on, but you should also be able to take it off based on level of service.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #266
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Same here..
I rarely drink beer.
Damn I only drink alcohol maybe once a month...if that.
I don't drink nearly as often as I used too. Usually I play DD these days it seems since the wife loves her wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
So what they are saying is you should ask for two tables side by side. That is fucked up. For 6 people I think they would make more in tips in most cases. But giving poor service and then demanding a tip is stupid. And charging them for it is stupid. Lets get the fact that our restaurant has shitty service by charging someone and having it printed in the paper.

James
Agreed
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #267
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
It's your responsibility to find out the restaurant's policy. Ignorance of those policies is no excuse. It's written right there on the menu or at the front counter. "An 18% gratuity is automatically added to parties of X or more people." You don't like that policy, you don't have to eat there.
Can't really argue with this either.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #268
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
So what they are saying is you should ask for two tables side by side. That is fucked up. For 6 people I think they would make more in tips in most cases. But giving poor service and then demanding a tip is stupid. And charging them for it is stupid. Lets get the fact that our restaurant has shitty service by charging someone and having it printed in the paper.

James
At most places the 15% gratuity for parties of 8 or more is added at the register by the server. Its their choice (at most places) to add it or not. The reason this was implemented (I was working at Red Lobster at the time) was because the bill for 6 parties or more can get very high and obviously working a big top takes up most of your night. Now since its only one bill you're gambling that they're going to take care of you...

Some people don't give a shit that you worked your ass off and gave excellent service, they still aren't going to leave 15-20% on a $200 ticket meaning that your whole night is a bust. So you add the 15% to ensure you get paid for your work. Its not an automatic license to give that party shitty service, but of course you realize some servers would treat it as such.

So it just varies from server to server really. The added gratuity isn't nearly as big a deal as you guys are making it. I'm going to get some of you guys an oxygen tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szFV1...eature=related
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird

Last edited by Kaneman; 11-20-2009 at 10:01 AM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #269
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
At most places the 15% gratuity for parties of 8 or more is added at the register by the server. Its their choice (at most places) to add it or not. The reason this was implemented (I was working at Red Lobster at the time) was because the bill for 6 parties or more can get very high and obviously working a big top takes up most of your night. Now since its only one bill you're gambling that they're going to take care of you...

Some people don't give a shit that you worked your ass off and gave excellent service, they still aren't going to leave 15-20% on a $200 ticket meaning that your whole night is a bust. So you add the 15% to ensure you get paid for your work. Its not an automatic license to give that party shitty service, but of course you realize some servers would treat it as such.

So it just varies from server to server really. The added gratuity isn't nearly as big a deal as you guys are making it. I'm going to get some of you guys an oxygen tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szFV1...eature=related
I didn't make it a big deal. But I don't like it. I don't think I was ever given one. I have went in places in groups of 6+ before. We get separate bills. I take care of my tip for my own bill.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #270
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
I didn't make it a big deal. But I don't like it. I don't think I was ever given one. I have went in places in groups of 6+ before. We get separate bills. I take care of my tip for my own bill.

James
Agreed; I pay on a separate bill too. I've learnt to keep a careful eye on the person who elects himself as the gatherer of the communal pot too, because that person frequently takes it as license to take part of the tips to pay his own bill.