Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #21
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

My wedding band is titanium, it's durable as hell. Plus, titanium has antibacterial properties. It's an awesome ring and it cost next to nothing.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #22
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

It's all about the platinum bitches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #23
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Jewelry stores are beyond overpriced. The original I got the hubby was $450, but the replacement I got on ebay is identical for the $50. It was only more than $30 because its laser etched or however they do it.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #24
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
You can find good ones off EBay for $50 bucks. They are virtually indestructible, but they can be shattered and sawn through (eventually).

My hubby's first ring I got him was stolen, so the replacements I buy in multiples on Ebay so he's got a spare when he misplaces the one he wears all the time.
Shattered?? I take it it's powdered metal then? I'd never heard of tungsten rings. Tungsten is the filament in a lightbulb And a lot of drillbits are "carbide." I've seen them snap or chip, but they're hardened.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #25
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

I bought my tungsten carbide ring in 2005 and it still looks brand new.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #26
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
Shattered?? I take it it's powdered metal then? I'd never heard of tungsten rings. Tungsten is the filament in a lightbulb And a lot of drillbits are "carbide." I've seen them snap or chip, but they're hardened.

When they break, supposedly they shatter into a million pieces. Rarely happens from what I understand tho, you have to hit it just right. There is no resizing or cutting. Same material they make the saw blades out of, the rings are made of Tungsten Carbide, not just the Tungsten. They did tell us when we bought it we might be able to shatter it with a hammer, but I havent tested that yet.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #27
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
When they break, supposedly they shatter into a million pieces. Rarely happens from what I understand tho, you have to hit it just right. There is no resizing or cutting. Same material they make the saw blades out of, the rings are made of Tungsten Carbide, not just the Tungsten. They did tell us when we bought it we might be able to shatter it with a hammer, but I havent tested that yet.
Just make sure he doesn't do it while it's on his hand... Or that you don't...

I wonder if the difference is the cobalt binder?

Yup. Looks like they are powdered metal/crystalline too. Not hammered (like wedding rings) or (cast- like school/trophy rings). Wild how many different colors there are, and the various metal inlays are cool.

Quote:
What's the difference between Tungsten Rings and Tungsten Carbide Rings?

Some of our competitors sell Tungsten rings that do not include Carbide. (Some of the retailers still call them Tungsten Carbide however, so be careful.) A Tungsten only ring is basically a steel ring. It is very hard, but NOT scratch proof.

A Tungsten Carbide ring can only be scratched by a diamond or a product containing the mineral corundum.

If you are shopping for a tungsten ring, or mens wedding band, you are better off with one of our Tungsten Carbide Rings and it's lifetime warranty.

Should I be concerned with Cobalt in my Ring?

Absolutely YES!Many Tungsten and tungsten carbide rings have Cobalt in them. The alloy containing Cobalt is easier to procure and rings containing Cobalt are being commonly sold. However, rings containing Cobalt will develop a negative react to your skin. After a short time period the ring will develop oxidation spots that cannot be removed or polished out. This is due to the Cobalt reacting to the human body. You can easily prevent this from happening by purchasing one of our Cobalt free tungsten carbide rings.

How to Care for your new Tungsten Ring

Your new tungsten ring should last for a lifetime and always look great! There are a just a few points to keep in mind to ensure your ring stays in it's pristine condition for years to come.

DO NOT drop your ring on a hard surface or purposely hit it with hard metal tool, such as a hammer.
DO NOT clean your tungsten ring in a jewelers ultrasonic cleaner, or with a steam cleaner or ionic cleaner.
DO NOT clean your tungsten ring with any chemicals as this can cause spotting.
DO only clean your tungsten ring with a mild soap and water. This will remove dirt, grime, lotions and keep your ring sparkly clean!

Emergency Removal of Tungsten Rings

Materials, like tungsten carbide or ceramic, can only be removed by cracking them into pieces with standard vice grip–style locking pliers. Standard ring cutters will not work.
Place vice grip–style locking pliers over ring and adjust the jaws to clamp lightly. Release and adjust tightener one-third turn and then clamp again. Repeat until a crack is heard, and then continue clamping in different positions until the hard material breaks away. Take care not to slide or rotate the cracked ring on the finger. If the ring contains an inlay of gold, the exposed gold can then be cut or clipped in the usual fashion.
Click here for our wide selection of unique tungsten rings
http://www.titanium-jewelry.com/about-tungsten.html
Old 03-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #28
MissHell
Followed the crowd over.

Moto: '07 Yahama R6

Thanks for all the feedback!
MissHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #29
Flexin
AMA Supersport

I love my Tungsten wedding ring. I think it was about $300. I got it because it looked better then any other ring in the stores. I wasn't sure about getting it because of the issue of getting it off. After thinking about it I liked it too much not to get it. I didn't wear it while doing construction and I don't wear it to to fire school. I have had it about 1.5 years and it looks brand new.

James
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #30
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

I just bought a Tungsten Ring for like 200 At a Jewler, The only thing I DONT like is it cant be sized...I'm a "10" but its not a "perfect" fit

I'm the same as most men, Its gonna be odd to wear it 24/7 But eventually Like anything I'll get used to it.

I like the Look, I'm not a Gold Kinda Guy.