Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #21
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
This is where I have a problem. Because I was born in Canada, I got no breaks for school. My parents paid taxes(and so did I for 8 years before going into a post secondary education). When I applied for student loans, they refused me, because my parents made too much money(it did not matter that i was not even on speaking terms with them at the time).

Some yahoo from Ethiopia gets off a boat, gets a full medical exam, and and needed meds, gets a monthy cheque, is supplied a place to live and gets a free or discounted education.

I think it is great if they want to educate illegals willing to stay and contribute to society, but to give them a discount on the tax dollars of the populace is wrong.
Your inabilty to get student loans or the mystery ethiopian has nothing to do with someone qualifying for in-state tuition.

Someone shows to school administration with proof of residency (bills or forms proving they have lived in the state for the mandatory amount of time)

though its popular to paint all illegal immigrants as 80 freeloaders living under one shack milking the system that does not appear to be the case. Having an "illegal" status does automatically mean you do not pay taxes. It simply means that you have not gone through the immigration process.
I'm sure if a census were to be done on illegals you will find a lot of individual taxpayer identification numbers. You kind of need things like drivers licenses, bank accounts, credit cards etc etc if you want to get around in this country and ITI give illegals that ability. The trade off is that they pay taxes just like everyone else if they work at a "real job" vs standing on the corner waiting for the landscaping truck to come by. Of course you are going to have the ghosts who exist nowhere and live in a shed but with the amount crossing the border I find it hard to believe that every single illegal operates outside of the norm.
That being said, those who do pay taxes do not get a free ride and pay a cost since they do not get all the benefits. Considering that colleges require things like medical records, tax payer IDs or social security #'s for all students I'm going to say that any illegal going to college has at least an INI number. In order to qualify for student loans, you need proof of income (tax records).
If they do not have those they need to pay cash out of pocket which means it does not effect you as the tax payer and her qualifying for in state tuition has nothing to do with you. If the student can prove that they are a resident, can provide all documentation required to go to the school then what does it have to do with you? What affect does it have on you whether they are there with a green card or are there illegally. If they are getting an education in the state chances are they are smart enough to know that being a legal resident is the way to go.

If you want state university systems to answer to the INS ten that's your opinion. If the state decides to put the burden on universities to handle immigration investigation then you will surely be paying a hell of lot more as universities are forced to pass on the cost of handling immigration policy to every student. I will say that will be a hell of lot more than the cost of some students attending school with questional status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #22
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

It matters to me, because people who break the rules don't deserve the perks. Whether or not it affects me as a taxpayer is a separate issue.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #23
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
It matters to me, because people who break the rules don't deserve the perks. Whether or not it affects me as a taxpayer is a separate issue.
Fair enough. Is it any rule or just immigration rules?

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 05-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #24
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I guess I'd say any rule. I break the speed law all the time, but if I'm caught I don't claim that the penalty is a travesty of human rights.

I'm struggling to think of other examples where a large group of people sneaks into a group they don't belong to, and then claim the perks of that group.

OK here's one: People falsify their resume's all the time.........But at least when they get caught they just walk away in shame....They don't bitch and moan about their "rights". And opportunists like Sharpton don't jump to their defense claiming that their only wish was to become a good employee.

Last edited by Homeslice; 05-07-2010 at 03:03 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #25
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I guess I'd say any rule. I break the speed law all the time, but I don't claim that it's a travesty of human rights if I'm caught.

I'm struggling to think of other examples where a large group of people sneaks into a group they don't belong to, and then claim the perks of that group.

OK here's one: People falsify their resume's all the time.........But at least when they get caught they don't bitch and moan about non-existant "rights". And the hand-wringers don't jump to their defense claiming that their only wish was to become a good employee.
The issue in this case is not that the illegal in question is falsifying anything. The issue is whether it is the schools responsibility to investigate immigration status.

Schools I've gone to do not ask for "papers". They ask for tax forms and either SSID or Taxpayer#. there is no indication in the article that any party has done something wrong within the context of admission.

Are you a resident of this state? Yes
Can you prove that you are a resident of this state by showing required paperwork such as water\rent\phone bill and valid state license?

Quote:
Old 05-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #26
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
The issue in this case is not that the illegal in question is falsifying anything. The issue is whether it is the schools responsibility to investigate immigration status.

Schools I've gone to do not ask for "papers". They ask for tax forms and either SSID or Taxpayer#. there is no indication in the article that any party has done something wrong within the context of admission.

Can you prove that you are a resident of this state by showing required paperwork such as water\rent\phone bill and valid state license?
If they do not claim illegal status, then how do they get the discount?

As for your other points, sure if they qualify they can go. My point was why should they get special treatment? I had to pay full price, you had to pay full price. Why should they get a break?

BTW, all they will do is raise tuition or get government grants, so you are paying for it.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #27
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:

The first story doesn't say anything about a taxpayer ID # but it did have the following: 'It's a success story because I went into college as an illegal immigrant," Rodriguez said. “Everyone is like, 'What’s your Social?' I'd be like, 'I don't have one.'"

It sure seems like she didn't have the basic information you were referring to. I don't care if a school gets duped through false "papers" with students. I also don't particularly care if they let illegals in who will be paying out of state tuition. I really don't care about Ms. Rodriquez receiving $50k in private scholarships either.

What bothers me is in order to get in state tuition a person usually has to establish legal residency in that state. It makes no sense that someone can establish legal residency in a state when they haven't even established legal residency in the country. Texas A&M decided to go all ass backwards (I guess that comes with being an "Aggie") and completely removed U.S. citizenship from their purview while at the same time making it harder than normal to establish residency in Texas for their purposes (36 months instead of the normal 12).
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #28
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
The first story doesn't say anything about a taxpayer ID # but it did have the following: 'It's a success story because I went into college as an illegal immigrant," Rodriguez said. “Everyone is like, 'What’s your Social?' I'd be like, 'I don't have one.'"

It sure seems like she didn't have the basic information you were referring to. I don't care if a school gets duped through false "papers" with students. I also don't particularly care if they let illegals in who will be paying out of state tuition. I really don't care about Ms. Rodriquez receiving $50k in private scholarships either.

What bothers me is in order to get in state tuition a person usually has to establish legal residency in that state. It makes no sense that someone can establish legal residency in a state when they haven't even established legal residency in the country. Texas A&M decided to go all ass backwards (I guess that comes with being an "Aggie") and completely removed U.S. citizenship from their purview while at the same time making it harder than normal to establish residency in Texas for their purposes (36 months instead of the normal 12).

How do you get into any university?
Can you remember the admissions process.

right now it would be helpful if the youngin on the board piped up.
You do not need a social security number to go to college nor is lack of a SS indicative of whether you are legal or not.

Example
http://www.admissions.txstate.edu/resources/forms.html

Quote:

Last edited by pauldun170; 05-07-2010 at 05:27 PM..
Old 05-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #29
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
You do realize that anyone can be a legal resident of a state. Any foreign national can become a resident of a state following state guidelines and that is independent of federal guidelines.

Thats the case for many people.

Quote:
Old 05-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #30
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
How do you get into any university?
Can you remember the admissions process.

right now it would be helpful if the youngin on the board piped up.
You do not need a social security number to go to college nor is lack of a SS indicative of whether you are legal or not.

Example
http://www.admissions.txstate.edu/resources/forms.html
I currently go to college in Texas with resident status. I needed to show proof of the address where I live - with more than a driver's license. They do not accept a driver's license or ID card because they are valid for 8 years. I needed to show a water bill, insurance bill, etc. that has my name on it. For someone under 18, their high school transcript with address is sufficient.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote