Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #21
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

NJ all you need is a 10 question written test and the smallest scooter you can rent for an afternoon which guarantees you to pass. They recently made the MSF an option to take instead of the road test, but most folks either don't take the riding test and just keep getting the permit renewed (good for 6 months) ever 6 months, or they don't want to pay for it. I also dont think the state should require that people have to pay a private company to get their liscense, that is just nonsence.

On the other hand I fully endorse the MSF course as a private citizen, it is a good course that teaches the basics.

I also fully support a tiered lic system, designed to keep noobs from buying that turbo'd busa that they are all hooning over
Old 09-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #22
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

mandatory msf is a good thing, every lil bit helps. it teaches you braking. alotta ppl in my class thought if u touch the front brakes u would flip(newbies, of course they think that), and the class debunked that. stoppin faster can save you, so just that lil piece of info is a good thing.

the licensing will never be strict enough to prevent accidents. you would need cc, weight, hp, requirements, age requirements, physical fitness tests, aptitude tests judgement tests and reaction tests, and each level would be harder as u get progressively more advanced bikes. and you would still have accidents. just not as many.

i doubt that will happen.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #23
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
mandatory msf is a good thing, every lil bit helps. it teaches you braking. alotta ppl in my class thought if u touch the front brakes u would flip(newbies, of course they think that), and the class debunked that. stoppin faster can save you, so just that lil piece of info is a good thing.

I hear that all the time from cruiser guys that the front brakes are were never designed to be used and will almost certainly cause an accident if you use them. I think I've only ever seen 1 person flip over the front of the bike while using the front brake and he was attempting to do a stoppie.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #24
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
you think the state test is harder then the msf test? riding part
I think the actual MSF test is more difficult than the state test, but ends up being easier because you get to practice it over and over and over.

Yes, you can practice the state test too. But when I took it I couldn't find the actual test until AFTER I went through it. I went into the test site office and there was a sheet with the riding part. I was pissed because I could have used that to practice.

I agree with other... MSF is better than nothing. And a tiered system would be better, but would have to limit to something like HP vs. CC.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #25
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

[QUOTE=anthonyk;262850]You haven't watched many brand-newbies on a bike, I'm guessing. They come up with all kinds of crazy ways to screw up controlling a bike, even after understanding the basic operation of the controls. A tiered system would hopefully keep people on something a little more forgiving until actually controlling the bike becomes second nature (and then they can start paying attention to what's around them).
QUOTE]

yeah after only 26 years of street riding and teaching no less then 20 people how to ride I haven't seen much. I honestly think I've seen every newbie mistake that can be thought of. from both newbies with no experience and those with the MSF class who simply wanted a little more help before going it on their own. The only thing that gets you from newbie to experienced is ride time.

tiered licensing has been tried it doesn't work. at some point you are responsible for your own decisions. we all agree you should not start on a litre bike, but it's no different then taking your car road test in a corvette. you shouldn't but you can.

you basically made my point for me. it's the control of the vehicle that matters. if you don't understand the control very well, it doesn't matter what you're riding it can bite you in the ass fast.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #26
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post

you basically made my point for me. it's the control of the vehicle that matters. if you don't understand the control very well, it doesn't matter what you're riding it can bite you in the ass fast.

a simple mistake w/ 40hp is alot diff then 1 at 170hp.....

ever seen a 125cc cruiser wheelie........i have.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #27
wildchild
cruiser

double

Last edited by wildchild; 09-09-2009 at 08:56 AM..
Old 09-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #28
wildchild
cruiser

[QUOTE we all agree you should not start on a litre bike,

it's the control of the vehicle that matters. if you don't understand the control very well, it doesn't matter what you're riding it can bite you in the ass fast.[/QUOTE]

Quote:

ever seen a 125cc cruiser wheelie........i have.
seriously reading comprehension can be your friend.

and yes, I've even seen a 15 hp lawn mower wheelie.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #29
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

well you say "we all agree you should not start on a litre bike", but the reality is you can, there's no stopping anybody........so that's out the window.......

so what now, oh yeah, just control the bike........
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #30
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I agree. I also believe that a manatory MSF class is a good thing. It can't teach you everything but it give you a start. They told our class that we need to practice more on our own after the course.

Its on you to learn after that and build on what you were taught in the class. I was one of the few that even rode a bike before in our class. They made me go first, the other people in the class were talking about the fact that if I didn't pass no one was passing. Nice of them to add that stress to my day. LOL.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote