Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-03-2011, 12:08 AM   #21
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Mateba is a priceless work of art. Unfortunately, they're priced accordingly and about as easy to find. I believe the designer is involved with the similar (but not as beautiful) Rhino revolvers, though they're not semi-auto, just standard revolver action with a 6 o'clock barrel position.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #22
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
That said, I carry a Glock 27. It works, it's accurate, but with the price of .40 and the slightly sharp recoil, I'm not sure I'd use it as a plinker in any sense of the word. When I'm not carrying the Glock, I have a S&W 637. It's easy to conceal and shoots pretty well. Nhgunnut touched on a favorite of mine. A CZ is an underrated, great shooting gun that can be had at a very nice price. I've got a CZ40B that is, without a doubt, my favorite pistol of the group. If it was a touch smaller, I'd conceal it. My father picked up a CZ75D Compact recently. It's a beautiful gun that I'd love to own. It's a gun that just fits incredibly well in my hand. Definitely check out a CZ. They're fantastic guns with a really nice trigger. My next gun will most likely be a CZ in 9mm.
When I bought my XD I was actually looking to buy a CZ-99. I just caught a deal I couldnt pass up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
I personally have the XDm 40 and love it. If your wife can handle a 9mm, the recoil with the 40 is not nearly as bad as a 45, even with hollow point rounds.
My buddy carries a S&W MMP 40 compact. I wouldnt say the recoil is anything more than my 9. But the slide action is slow and very deliberate. Its one of those feel things. Its weird, you can feel the weight of the slide come all the way back, rock the gun back gently, and then set it right back into place.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #23
Method
Canyon Carver

Moto: MTA

Interesting - I hadn't considered CZ Usa. I'll have to take a peek - I'm assuming they generally aren't carried very widely by local distributors as I haven't seen any.
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #24
Corey
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
Interesting - I hadn't considered CZ Usa. I'll have to take a peek - I'm assuming they generally aren't carried very widely by local distributors as I haven't seen any.
Hit or miss. The gun shops by me don't have them new, but the pawn shop/gun shops tend to get them both new and used. I picked mine up used for 300. It looks like brand spankity new. My father also picked his up used for a good price, also looking unblemished. I know they don't get the same love as an XD or a Glock, but in my very humble opinion, they're superior guns.

Mine.

Will be mine.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Old 07-03-2011, 01:04 AM   #25
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

There's always the 1911. A good "cheaper" company is Rock Island Armory (RIA). I havent heard anything bad about their 1911's. They range from $400 and up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ99N...watch_response
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #26
Corey
AMA Supersport

1911's are great guns, great for regular range duty, and iffy on defensive ammo. Mine refuses to feed hollow points. Just a no go. The Rock Island has a similar feed ramp that I'm willing to bet is just as finicky with defensive ammo, just from the nature of the design. It's a fun ass gun to shoot down range, and gave me a true appreciation for metal guns, but I wouldn't trust it with my life for home defense.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #27
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

You can beat someone to death with a 1911 and not worry about their skull fragments jamming the gun.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #28
Corey
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
You can beat someone to death with a 1911 and not worry about their skull fragments jamming the gun.
If that's the case, you can buy a Hi-Point for under 200 that would be a much more effective and larger bullet holding hammer.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #29
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Mateba is a priceless work of art. Unfortunately, they're priced accordingly and about as easy to find. I believe the designer is involved with the similar (but not as beautiful) Rhino revolvers, though they're not semi-auto, just standard revolver action with a 6 o'clock barrel position.
Finding it wasn't that bad, seems to be a few on gunbroker every now and then. Not kidding on the price though, mine was a bit north of 2k. Worth every penny IMO

I was unaware of the rhino and just looked it up, sounds like ghisoni started the project and then passed away before completion. Very attractive piece though, I might have to add that to my list now that I have disposable income still want a daewoo first though

Last edited by Dave; 07-03-2011 at 09:03 AM..
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #30
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
There's always the 1911. A good "cheaper" company is Rock Island Armory (RIA). I havent heard anything bad about their 1911's. They range from $400 and up.
I was thinking 1911 too (but I'm always thinking 1911). You can get whatever flavor your budget allows. If capacity is a concern they do have 10 round mags for them. My full size looks pretty dumb with 2 inches of extra mag sticking out the bottom, but it doesn't bother me.

For a plinking gun you could also get a Ruger 22/45. It is a .22 semi-auto pistol similar to their Mark III but the frame has been redesigned to mimic the shape of a 1911. I've never shot one and yes, with .22 it will still be significantly different than a 1911, but it may be worth considering. I've typically seen them for around $300.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote