Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 02-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #21
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
That $60k a year is more like $90k when you consider the time off teachers get....
Let's not start this shit again.

Quote:

BTW, when you start a sentence off "I don't want nobody" then your opinion on anything education related is immediately null and void.
On this I totally agree.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #22
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
What!?

$60k is $60k.

It doesn't matter if it is paid every two weeks, monthly or in one lump sum.

If you can't manage to budget your salary based on your pay schedule, that is a separate issue.
NYC cost of living is higher than podunk your town, 60k doesnt go far, its like earning 12k a year anywhere lese in the US, especially when a 2 br apt goes for 2k/month rent. to get teachers to work they have to pay them that much money or the teachers would all flock to other areas where they could afford to live
Old 02-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #23
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Just because the rent is really high doesn't mean every other cost of living is all that different. Do cars in NY cost a lot more than they do elsewhere? No. Do groceries cost a lot more? Beer? Clothing? No. So, I don't agree that $60K in NY is like $12K anywhere else.

Last edited by Homeslice; 02-11-2011 at 01:09 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #24
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Just because rent is about 3 times the US average doesn't mean every other type of cost is 3 times as high. Do cars cost 3 times as much? No. Do groceries cost 3 times as much? No. So, I don't agree that $60K in NY is like $12K anywhere else.
Cars don't cost more, but gas is prolly $.30/gal more expensive, gotta pay for parking, and insurance will cost a few grand for a year, wanna drive somewhere, its gonna cost you $20 in tolls to get to staten island, $15 to get in and out of manhatten, so the car might be the same price, but the cost to operate one is way higher. Food is also somewhat higher, and if you live in the city you gotta pay city tax, even if you don't own a house. Movies start at $15, pizza $4 per slice, the list goes on and on.

Just because the actual cost of something is similar doesnt mean that the 2nd and 3rd order affect costs dont shoot through the roof.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #25
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

60K in NYC isn't much. However, if you can forgo car ownership and deal with the apartment selection you can do ok. Its fine for a young single person. I know people who live ok on less. Considering the cost of living in NYC, its appropriate for an elementary school teacher with proper certs\education.

Its not really worth it though working NYC public schools because of the kids. the lowest common denominators will make any teacher jaded after a few years (as in 1-2) Best bet is to pay your dues there and then find something in the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #26
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
60K in NYC isn't much. However, if you can forgo car ownership and deal with the apartment selection you can do ok. Its fine for a young single person. I know people who live ok on less. Considering the cost of living in NYC, its appropriate for an elementary school teacher with proper certs\education.

Its not really worth it though working NYC public schools because of the kids. the lowest common denominators will make any teacher jaded after a few years (as in 1-2) Best bet is to pay your dues there and then find something in the suburbs.
Even relying on public trans is gonna cost $1500 a year, and how many folks are lucky enough for the nycbe to place them in a school where they want to work?

A good friend of mine who lives past tommy on long island (massapequa) starts as a middle school teacher next year in staten island, its gonna be a 2 hour commute each way for her plus $20 in tolls a day, plus gas, for a 30 mile commute! I fully expect her to get a job on the island somewhere next year or the year after but suburban schools out there wont touch you unless youve worked in the city school system for a while first
Old 02-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #27
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Cool...sounds like she has a lot of life experience and an understanding of human nature that she could share. Hope she keeps her job....but we know that's not going happen.

BTW, when you start a sentence off "I don't want nobody" then your opinion on anything education related is immediately null and void.
This. All of it.

At least this woman got paid for it. The rest of the hypocrites just used their talents to get places...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #28
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Just because the actual cost of something is similar doesnt mean that the 2nd and 3rd order affect costs dont shoot through the roof.
I agree, but to say that $60K is like $12K elsewhere is like saying that every product or service costs 5 times as much in NY. (12 x 5 = 60).

(OK so the tax rate increases on the 60K person, but still.......)
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #29
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Even relying on public trans is gonna cost $1500 a year, and how many folks are lucky enough for the nycbe to place them in a school where they want to work?

A good friend of mine who lives past tommy on long island (massapequa) starts as a middle school teacher next year in staten island, its gonna be a 2 hour commute each way for her plus $20 in tolls a day, plus gas, for a 30 mile commute! I fully expect her to get a job on the island somewhere next year or the year after but suburban schools out there wont touch you unless youve worked in the city school system for a while first
Is her name jen? I used to date a soon to be teacher from massapequa and gas and tolls it was like $120 just to go see her for the weekend

Goethals is bad, the verrazano is rape
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #30
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:

Time for her to move outta Massapequa.
Tell her to tell officials in Staten Island that she is a FDNY (or better ex NYPD and now FDNY...or vise versa)
They issue you a house and wife beater shirt.

Quote:
Is her name jen? I used to date a soon to be teacher from massapequa and gas and tolls it was like $120 just to go see her for the weekend

Goethals is bad, the verrazano is rape
Jen?
Jen owes me $30.
If you see her, tell her to give me a call.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote