Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #21
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I havent seen alot on it and am just as surprised, especially since it will already have started affecting livelihoods and the folks that live there. I was reading the local news from where I lived and they are talking about getting volunteers in line to begin cleanup when it hits, for the environment and wildlife.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #22
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

It's been all over CNN's homepage for the last week or so

The only reason your local news might not cover it is because.......They know from past experience that most Americans care more about celebrities and other "human interest" stories.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #23
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
Fecking hell...it's Monday...I'm stuck in the office while it's sunny and a near perfect 70 something outside...AND I fully agree with a post by Avatard. Wow...

Having said that, though....the Gulf is FILLED with oil rigs...why would there NOT be emergency equipment on station in that area? I understand that none of it was SUPPPOSED to happen (they are called "accidents" for a reason" afterall...but...fires aren't supposed to happen either. Every city I've ever been in had a Fire Department with at least a station or two of equipment and trained personel on hand just in case.
To pull a semi off a current job isn't necessarily possible. To rush that causes another accident - no one wants that. To send a new one takes even longer [took 60+ days for my husband to bring one from Mauritius to Trinidad] and most are in dock in Singapore-Korea.

This happened when they were capping a line - This is in 3000 feet of water, you need more than just nother rig - it would take at least another semi-submersable. Transocean's other rigs in the gulf are moored [anchored] - and the other BP rigs are contracted through other companies. It's complicated.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #24
Cass
Cassolicious!

Moto: SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
To pull a semi off a current job isn't necessarily possible. To rush that causes another accident - no one wants that. To send a new one takes even longer [took 60+ days for my husband to bring one from Mauritius to Trinidad] and most are in dock in Singapore-Korea.

This happened when they were capping a line - This is in 3000 feet of water, you need more than just nother rig - it would take at least another semi-submersable. Transocean's other rigs in the gulf are moored [anchored] - and the other BP rigs are contracted through other companies. It's complicated.
The normal population doesn't typically keep up with these kinds of things... thanks for the info
Old 05-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #25
AquaPython
put it THIS way

all aboard the off-shore drilling express, next stop alcoholism and suicide!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100503/...l_spill_alaska
Old 05-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #26
MILK
The cows want you dead.

I was in Alaska not terribly long after the spill up there. The locals laughed about it and how the media evidently played it up. They said it wasn't remotely as bad as portrayed. They still like getting those checks though! It was kind of shocking when I was up there to hear that..

This one certainly SEEMS quite different. We can only hope they are able to get a handle on it.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #27
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Pretty much.

Yet somehow, conservatives have succeeded in portraying increased offshore drilling is "imperative to our national security and self-reliance"

It's such a joke.
I'm not sure how offshore drilling could be seen as anything else. The facts are that America requires massive amounts of oil to function and there is no viable alternative on the horizon. I would love it if some magical substance or process was able to power our vehicles, homes, and businesses while providing the necessary base for the plastics and other composites we make and use. Unfortunately that substance or process doesn't currently exist.

We are stuck with oil for the time being and depending on other countries to provide the majority of that oil certainly does nothing to promote our own self-reliance. As far as national security, we do get some of our imports from "friendly" "stable" countries. Our largest source, one of the most "stable", and probably the "friendliest" country is Canada. Mexico is also a large source, is semi-friendly, and semi-stable. Once those two are covered (accounting for around 30% of imports) the remaining top importers make up a pretty unsavory list. Voluntarily depending on them for any more of a substance that is absolutely vital to our nation than is necessary would strike me as the joke if it weren't so damn sad.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #28
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

"I weep for the future."

- Snooty maitre d in 'Ferris Beuller's Day Off'
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #29
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I'm not sure how offshore drilling could be seen as anything else. The facts are that America requires massive amounts of oil to function and there is no viable alternative on the horizon. I would love it if some magical substance or process was able to power our vehicles, homes, and businesses while providing the necessary base for the plastics and other composites we make and use. Unfortunately that substance or process doesn't currently exist.

We are stuck with oil for the time being and depending on other countries to provide the majority of that oil certainly does nothing to promote our own self-reliance. As far as national security, we do get some of our imports from "friendly" "stable" countries. Our largest source, one of the most "stable", and probably the "friendliest" country is Canada. Mexico is also a large source, is semi-friendly, and semi-stable. Once those two are covered (accounting for around 30% of imports) the remaining top importers make up a pretty unsavory list. Voluntarily depending on them for any more of a substance that is absolutely vital to our nation than is necessary would strike me as the joke if it weren't so damn sad.
Nobody is forcing us to buy from any given country. Would increasing Canada and Mexico's share really be so hard? And what about Brazil?

More importantly, why deplete our own resources when we don't have to? Why not keep them in reserve, and then sell them at a substantial profit 20-30 years from now when everyone else has depleted theirs?

Last edited by Homeslice; 05-03-2010 at 01:32 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #30
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

The shitville coastal tourism is fucked for this summer. Like Trip said, a bunch of fishers/shrimpers are majorly fucked