Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #21
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
It's a tough world out there right now...I was at the WERA regionals last week at Summit and except for the racers, there wasn't 50 spectators.....
No one promotes the races.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #22
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

advertising + boobs (umbrella girls or some kind of promo girls) + prize contests

you need a combination of stuff, but if people don't know about it, they won't show. advertising is a must.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:27 AM   #23
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

we're trying to increase spectators - we used to have probably 100 or so Non-racer spectators. I'd be surprised if we have 12 now. Our marketing budget is $0.00 - our club is in the red right now and marketing is the first cut (ya - I know...NOT my choice). We're brainstorming how to get the people to start coming again - we used to do what we called "taste of racing" which was what a lot of you mentioned - the Average Joe could take their bike around the track a few times. But something went wrong - someone crashed and threated lawsuit (but didn't sue) and there's no way in hell anyone in the club can be talked into that again. *sigh*
I like the family atmosphere idea for lunch time...lots of other good ideas thrown out there too.
I'm pushing for getting the shops involved - we do ZERO marketing with the shops right now (*eye roll* stupid that nobody's done it - they used it, it's gone by the wayside with the last 2 terms of marketing)
We have a booth at the International Motorcycle show but there's resistance to that even - because we can't show that it brings ANY income to the club and costs money there are members who say we shouldn't have a booth (um - there's only THOUSANDS of motorcyclists in one place - if we don't market THERE where would we market?!)

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #24
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
we're trying to increase spectators - we used to have probably 100 or so Non-racer spectators. I'd be surprised if we have 12 now. Our marketing budget is $0.00 - our club is in the red right now and marketing is the first cut (ya - I know...NOT my choice). We're brainstorming how to get the people to start coming again - we used to do what we called "taste of racing" which was what a lot of you mentioned - the Average Joe could take their bike around the track a few times. But something went wrong - someone crashed and threated lawsuit (but didn't sue) and there's no way in hell anyone in the club can be talked into that again. *sigh*
I like the family atmosphere idea for lunch time...lots of other good ideas thrown out there too.
I'm pushing for getting the shops involved - we do ZERO marketing with the shops right now (*eye roll* stupid that nobody's done it - they used it, it's gone by the wayside with the last 2 terms of marketing)
We have a booth at the International Motorcycle show but there's resistance to that even - because we can't show that it brings ANY income to the club and costs money there are members who say we shouldn't have a booth (um - there's only THOUSANDS of motorcyclists in one place - if we don't market THERE where would we market?!)
Marketing at $0 is your issue. Start there. If not how do you think magically people will find out about the races? You need radio exposure, scantly clad women, and organize a judged bike show as well to pull no racer types to the track to spectate. Look at every other successful race promotion and follow the template. You have spend money to make money. Organizations that stagnate without taking risk are doomed to go belly up. Have any of the idiots that run that ORG been to business school?

Last edited by tallywacker; 09-26-2010 at 11:15 AM..
tallywacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #25
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
You have spend money to make money. Organizations that stagnate without taking risk are doomed to go belly up. Have any of the idiots that run that ORG been to business school?
Or, it takes volunteer time... it can be done, but it takes the investment of those in the organization to create the buzz and excitement.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #26
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Or, it takes volunteer time... it can be done, but it takes the investment of those in the organization to create the buzz and excitement.
Exactly, I'm sure there are some competent business owners that race every weekend that can provide some idea's for your situation.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #27
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

Pull in the kids too...when kids want to get involved, the parents are right there with support and money.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #28
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
Exactly, I'm sure there are some competent business owners that race every weekend that can provide some idea's for your situation.
Surely there are dealers that would want to use it as a marketing opportunity. Sell it to them.... let them create the buzz.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #29
snobuny
Kneedragger

Moto: 01 kawa 600R, 03 636 track, yz250motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
This might not be the best use of marketing dollars. I know its a motorcycle population but people have very short attention spans. If the show is not the day before a race your "spectators" may forget when the races are. Our show is usually off season, anything I pick up there is usually long in the trash prior to when the race season starts.

Your group might get more bang for your buck by advertising right before the event. That way people know about it right as its happening.....and can make a decision to attend. I know I don't put races on the calendar months in advance. If we are free the weekend when they happen, then we go.
snobuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #30
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobuny View Post
I know its a motorcycle population but people have very short attention spans.
Squirrel!
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote