Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #21
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Im using bad stereotypes because im mad....

Its that funny noise that indians make when they say "uh" or "um"
I never had an indian derp derp me! They usually just say uh or um.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #22
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103374/mr-derp

Last edited by Rangerscott; 02-08-2011 at 12:00 AM..
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #23
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I never had an indian derp derp me! They usually just say uh or um.
Yea.... me neither. It was from some show or movie that was just wildly stereotypical and I threw it into the story. But they do say uh funny.

And Ranger. CC's just get you into trouble. I bought my R6 on a credit card. It was fine the first year because it was 0% interest, and if figured i would pay it off by then. But once that interest kicked in its sucked. I am now down from 3 cards to just my Discover, and it is only for emergency.

I've heard of people getting a small personal loan and keeping it in your savings account to gain interest. Just pay the more than the payments. It should be a good boost on your credit score.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #24
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Yea.... me neither. It was from some show or movie that was just wildly stereotypical and I threw it into the story. But they do say uh funny.

And Ranger. CC's just get you into trouble. I bought my R6 on a credit card. It was fine the first year because it was 0% interest, and if figured i would pay it off by then. But once that interest kicked in its sucked. I am now down from 3 cards to just my Discover, and it is only for emergency.

I've heard of people getting a small personal loan and keeping it in your savings account to gain interest. Just pay the more than the payments. It should be a good boost on your credit score.

Jeez people I'm not spending thousands with one. I know that's dumb. I don't want to just get a loan for no reason and pay interest on it.

I'm responsible with my money and I've never done something stupid with money. I have nothing bad on my credit report.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:26 AM   #25
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Jeez people I'm not spending thousands with one. I know that's dumb. I don't want to just get a loan for no reason and pay interest on it.

I'm responsible with my money and I've never done something stupid with money. I have nothing bad on my credit report.
Yep, said all that stuff, too. Been there, done that, and now, officially, done WITH that. Sometimes we truly believe we aren't doing anything stupid with money and that we're being ultra-responsible, even while borrowing. I always paid my credit cards in full every month too, for the LONGEST time.

Then I got in the habit of using my card for everything. After all, I was earning points when I spent money on groceries, or anything else for that matter. At first, I monitored exactly how much I was spending every month and I never spent more than a certain amount. Then, I started to get lazy and keep mental track of it. Then, I stopped keeping track of it because I was earning enough to pay it anyway. Then I ended up with a paycut. Yet, I kept on spending the same. I thought my pay would go back up, but it took a LONG time. By then, I was in a hole. I dug out of that hole and got back in good shape.

Then I slowly started the same habits. Then the same shit happened. Now, I'm working on aggressively paying off what I owe and I will never borrow again. Period. I'm done with the bullshit. I thought I knew what was best and thought I was better than all the shit people told me. Yeah, it was the same shit I'm telling you. But I had a degree in finance. I knew how to manage my money. 0% here and 2% there is awesome. Why wait when I can have it now at such low rates? I got sucked into the same shit, yet I started out just like you are.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do much better than I did and you'll never get sucked into the same bullshit marketing. Yep, I rolled my eyes, too.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #26
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
I had two instances with them. They charged me a late fee, when I had payed 2 days before the payment was due. They remove the late charge after I sent the email. The second sent me over the fucking edge. I lost my card at some point in the summer. I couldnt remember my log in so I called up and payed the balance off over the phone. I get a card mailed to me in about 2 weeks, so of course no transactions. A month and a half later I get a letter saying "By the way, your balance is past due by 2 months." What the fuck, what balance, and no emails sent in 2 months??? So I look online. Somehow, the company had charged me 13 cents interest on a $0 balance. So I called up to bitch, and got fucking mohammed in india. I asked how interest was charged into the next month on a 0 balance. So he started explaining of which I couldnt fucking understand. I said I want this resolved, these charges need removed now......
You need to go thruogh two cycles with a 0 balance OR have always paid the balance off in full before the grace period ends. If you didnt, you will have interest due on the next statement.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #27
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Not anymore man. I think Obeezy passed something that they cannot decline you for a credit card anymore based on credit rating. Now... you may have a very low credit limit to start out. And a deposit on a CC???
I don't think there was anything in the law saying they have to get you a CC regardless of credit worthiness.

Any yes...when you first start out building credit, some cards give you a limit based on your deposit...I know sounds fishy.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #28
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Not anymore man. I think Obeezy passed something that they cannot decline you for a credit card anymore based on credit rating. Now... you may have a very low credit limit to start out. And a deposit on a CC???

DON'T EVER GO THROUGH CAPITAL ONE. Just eliminate that from any considerations right now. Shady shady company.

Discover Card. /End of thread
Ive gotten two car loans and two credit cards through Capital One and never had any problems. My first CC was through them.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:37 AM   #29
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
whoever told you you NEED a cc is full of shit. My bank will cover any fraudulent charges on my debit card. I haven't had a credit card in over 12 years now. I don't NEED one. Haven't needed one in that period of time. Won't ever get one again. My debit card with MC logo is all I ever need.
This is true. When you make a purchase on your debit/check card as "credit" you are covered by the same protections that all other Visa/MC credit cards have. When you use debit Visa is out of the loop so its between you and your bank.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #30
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
I have two credit cards. A Capital One and an AT&T card. I haven't had any problems with Capital One. I used to have a really good rate on it, but it went up about a year ago. I don't put anything on it anymore, but I still have it open. Hasn't caused me any headaches. The rate on my AT&T card goes up and down. It's not too bad right now and I had to put a couple medical bills on there and my netflix runs through it. No real problems with it either, except for the rate that jumps around.
You should throw a monthly payment of some sorts on your card you don't use... Eventually they will shut it down for lack of use, then it'll hit your credit. Reoccuring payments, with a reoccuring payoff every month from your checking account is a good way to do that. I have that setup for some of my stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
whoever told you you NEED a cc is full of shit. My bank will cover any fraudulent charges on my debit card. I haven't had a credit card in over 12 years now. I don't NEED one. Haven't needed one in that period of time. Won't ever get one again. My debit card with MC logo is all I ever need.
Yeah, when some Nigerian scammer comes along and wipes out your entire checking account in 24 hours, then tell me you don't need a credit card. Sure, you could use your debit for everything, but I've had that shit happen twice and it FUCKED me with late charges on a bunch of other shit because my checking account wiped clean. Sure, both banks handled the situation and got me my money back... one took about a month, the other two weeks. Just enough time to come in late for most of my monthly bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Ugh, not this again. Go read t-rock's thread in cage hell about which he should buy. Forget credit cards, period. Having a credit card is even worse than having a car loan. Sure, you'll pay the card off every month. But, one month, you'll end up spending more than you can afford to pay off. Why, because you NEED this one particular item. Then you get caught back up, or you take away savings to pay off the card. Whatever the case is, you get caught in a cycle of spending on credit. Stay away from credit cards and other debt. Get in good habits while your young.

Well, you sort of know that you don't need one. Want to avoid someone taking all of your money out of your checking account, but still want to buy something online? Then open a second checking account and get a debit card for it. Keep the lowest possible balance you can keep in the account in order to avoid minimum balance fees (hopefully you already use an account without any fees). When you want to buy something online, transfer money from your regular checking account into the other one. Then use the debit card to make your purchase online. With a debit card, thieves can't take what you don't have in the account. The card will simply get declined. There, now you truly don't need a credit card.
Not everyone is completely irresponsible with their debt. I am not debt free, I have several monthly payments, but I also have a savings. Student loans, mortgage, and a vehicle payment totals my revolving debt. My credit cards are paid off every month, unless some emergency situation comes up. I've financed a lot of things for 0% for 12-14 months, paid it all off and saved money in the process.

Oh, and banks are getting keen on having multiple accounts... If you're going to go the debit card route with multiple accounts, you'll most likely need to go through two separate banks. Chase just recently wanted to start charging me for my extra checking account, so I converted it to a savings account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
I already do that. Checking accounts dont build credit and I'm not going to take out a loan when another one is done. I don't have a mortgage so I need something to keep my credit score updated.
Do it man. Get a credit card and use the shit out of it. Build your credit and earn points/rewards. Keep your purchases limited to normal every day things and you don't need to worry about it. Start dumping 10 PS3 games, a new flat screen and a bunch of other shit you wouldn't normally purchase on it and that's when you get into trouble. I never check my balance on my cards, but I don't buy a bunch of excess shit either... I just buy my normal every day shit and nothing else. Turns out, my CC bill is always within $100 of the same thing every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
This is true. When you make a purchase on your debit/check card as "credit" you are covered by the same protections that all other Visa/MC credit cards have. When you use debit Visa is out of the loop so its between you and your bank.
My experience tells me otherwise. Still gotta go through the bank, still gotta wait forever to get a new card, your money back, etc. Maybe things have changed in the past 5 years, but the last time my card was compromised - despite the fact that they were 100% credit card purchases - I still had to go through all of the BS.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote