Built Ford Tough...?
Old 12-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #22
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Shit. Churches Chicken dickmouth.

Since you're not working, care to explain how you weren't saying to go after him in your original post?
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #23
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I said "could they." I didnt mean to go smacking someone with a law book. Third said it had a good amount if aftermarket on it. Theres people that go after vehicle manufactures when something goes wrong with their new vehicle (brakes dont work, electrical fires, etc.)

I was just asking a question. I hope the dealership is good to him since they sold it to him as a working vehicle. Too bad it didnt have a flame job on it.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #24
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
I said "could they."
I guess it depends what the meaning of the word "is" is.

Quote:
Theres people that go after vehicle manufactures when something goes wrong with their new vehicle (brakes dont work, electrical fires, etc.)
When you compare buying a new car to a used care that has known modifications to it, the logic is broken beyond repair.

Quote:
I was just asking a question. I hope the dealership is good to him since they sold it to him as a working vehicle. Too bad it didnt have a flame job on it.
If it was a genuine question, the answer is simply "no". The previous owner can't be held responsbile after others have driven the car. The buyer MAY have some recourse with the dealership, but any sensible dealership would cover their ass in a sales contract with a no implied warranties clause. It's unreasonable to expect the dealer to guarantee the safety and/or longevity of a used car; especially a modified one.

While I agree with the sentiment "it sucks for him and I hope someone lends him a hand", I sincerely doubt the dealership will do anything for him and hope he had full coverage.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #25
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Old 12-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #26
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

This is why buying a modded car is a bad idea unless you personally know the guy and can vouch for him

I never really liked the "swoopy" styling of that Lightning anyway, it was kinda ghey and Miami Vice IMO. I prefered the sharp-creased 1st-gen Lightning.

Also, shortbed stepsides aren't real trucks IMO
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:30 PM   #27
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

I'm on the fence with step sides. I wouldn't mind them on a weekend driver, but they suck when the bed is in need. You throw 4 mexicans in the back and it's pretty much full.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #28
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Thats not Technically a short bed...It's a 6'.5 Stepside, a Shortbed is like 4 feet, like you would find on a sportrack or a quadcab F150.

I had a 05 F150 Stepside with a regular bed and I didnt really notice much difference when hauling stuff. I fit two motorcycles side by side with no issues.

It was tight, but it worked. I dont think you get much more room with a regular bed. And really, who buys a lightning for the size of the bed? It's a go fast truck.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #29
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

weren't some TSB's and recalls against those trucks due to risk of fire? If so did you guys check to ensure it was up to date for all recalls and TSB's. Ive had a few recalls taken care of on my '97, '01 and '02.

many of the guys who buy lightnings tend to get anal about letting recalls be done as in they won't. no one touches it but them type of thing.

just curious, as far as previous owner, depending on what was wrong in Wis he could be held responsible. you have to sign documents as to condition when you trade in and they do take them serious.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #30
Looni2ns
Crazy Lady Rider

Moto: '05 SV650S "Baby", '00 Bandit 600S "Rita", '87 EX500 (track)

Was thinking about the recall issues, also. Were these trucks under the recalls for the cruise control switch? Makes me wonder since you said the master cylinder was completely burned away. I'll have to check the list I have here in the office.
Looni2ns is offline   Reply With Quote